blockbuster moving to blu-ray

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So blockbuster is saying they will only carry blu-ray and and some HD dvd.
I just wonder how many people at this point have a blu-ray player( i have one on the playstation3) or hd DVD? i hate to say this but it seems to me that sony is trying to force people into the buying blu-ray players, i would not doubt there was was deal between sony and blockbuster.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i dont think i have either
Tho i go to hollywood video
so as long as they dont do that I dont think I have anything to worrry about

But I do agree with you about the deal, or that it seems as though they are forcing everyone to go buy these things

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We stick with Hollywood Video, too! Blockbuster lost me long ago with their usurious fines and deceptive advertising.

But... what the heck is Blu-Ray?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

But... what the heck is Blu-Ray?
its a new format for DVD, high density(holds around 24 gig of information on one side), it can hold enough information to make movies high-denfinition.

the name blu-ray comes from the the laser being blue in color. lol from there you get into wave length and stuff which i doubt any one cares eheh,

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

its a new format for DVD, high density(holds around 24 gig of information on one side), it can hold enough information to make movies high-denfinition.

the name blu-ray comes from the the laser being blue in color. lol from there you get into wave length and stuff which i doubt any one cares eheh,
Oohh- I didn't know what it ment either

We don't have blockbuster here either... and we don't have a blu ray disc player either... unless there's one on our PS2?

Either way- that sucks
They keep changing stuff like this too much! Lets just to back to VCRs

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blu-ray is expensive! I just got a dvd with a vcr! I am not running out to but a blue ray either. I can watch PPV on the sattelite if I want to get a movie. And I think blockbuster will find its self losing a lot of customers if they only carry blu ray. I don't even have a HDTV!!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blockbuster doesn't carry a lot of the movies that I like to watch. To me it's the Top 40 radio station of the movie rental world.

I'm sticking with Netflicks.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to look into this! We have them delivered from our favorite list and I don't think we have blu-ray or HD DVD.

boog's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

I'm sticking with Netflicks.
Me too! I actually really enjoy the process and simplicity of Netflix. I'd been curious about Blockbuster's Netflix-ish new program, but if they are going to be going exclusive with their formats like that...I won't bother.

Although a small part of me does wonder if I am being like one of those people who once owned Beta VCRs or Laserdisks.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never cared much for Blockbuster either. We love Netflix. Did you know you can watch movies from them online?

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know anybody with Blu-Ray, and out of all my friends and family, only one couple has an HD TV, but no HD DVD player. I think Blockbuster would have to be completely brain-damaged to make this switch.

We don't rent movies, though -- we just buy them. If we don't like them, we give them away. Considering how much it costs to rent these days (or worse, to go to the show), we're probably further ahead this way. Besides, we both watch the same movies and TV shows over and over again, so it's nice to have a copy of our own.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have either.

I think this is a way for them to try to recoup the business that they have lost to Netflix by differentiating themselves with the alternative technology selections.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

Never cared much for Blockbuster either. We love Netflix. Did you know you can watch movies from them online?
Dude - I just found that out and saw a comedian DVD this weekend.

Thank goodness I have a 17 inch flatscreen monitor.

Now if I'm in the middle of waiting for my next DVDs to arrive, I can see one online if I want to, no waiting.

I LOVE this new benefit!

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have Netflix too. Blockbuster doesn't have nearly as good of a selection IMO.

We just bought a tv (flat screen HD) and my husband has been bugging me about blue ray and HD dvd players. Once we got the tv home and watched a few movies, he realized because we bought a pretty high-end dvd player (in 2001 as a wedding present to ourselves) it's probably a better picture than an up-convert dvd player.

I don't plan to buy a new dvd player until the old one breaks. And when they decide if Blue Ray or HD will be the standard.

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This may be a dumb question but I'm asking anyway..

You can't play a blu-ray dvd on a regular dvd player??

If that's true, then Blockbuster's making a big mistake cuz most of the ppl I know do NOT have blu ray dvd player yet since it's too expensive at this time (over $400 I think!).

I have been renting Blockbuster movies but I've pretty much decided to switch to Netflix because of this new move by Blockbuster AND it's cheaper to rent from Netflix!

jenny1124

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had to read a little about Blu-ray and HD DVD for my college course. It seems there's been a lot of debate over them and from what I can tell, HD DVD is much cheaper and will be more widely used. Wal-Mart has joined the side of HD DVD, so they will not be carrying Blu-ray. Blu-ray is by Sony, so I would assume that the only places that will back Blu-ray will be making a deal with Sony since they are much more expensive.

I also read that Blu-ray does have a great deal of potential but it is still in it's "beta" stages. That is what I've learned about it all, hopefully the information I have given is still current...

http://www.projectorcentral.com/hddvd_bluray.htm

A more recent article:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/home-thea...601725599.html

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oy please no one tell DH about this... I don't need to give him any excuse to change over his gigantic dvd collection to bluray... I don't even think Donald Trump has enough money to do that

We use netflix occasionally. I finally switched over to the cheapo $4.99 plan because he kept forgetting to return his movies... so I couldn't see spending $15 or whatever it was for a plan he used every other month... but it's the only place he can find the movies he wants to rent as he's into really off the wall cheesy horror films.

But no matter what I can't see 'upgrading' to bluray - at least right now. To me, something has to be much more proven before I can see using it or else I fear I'll be spending money on something that could go the way of the dodo... or the laserdisc for that matter