My cat won't stop ordering me around

mygypsy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had Gypsy for over a year. She eats well, uses her litter regularly, and has no health or behavior problems. EXCEPT, she is in a very bad habit of demanding that I come and sit with her wherever she goes, instead of vice versa.

She is extremely vocal, and whenever she moves from room to room she announces her whereabouts with several minutes of meowing. Lately however she gets louder and louder until she is wailing and howling. As soon as I walk into the room, she quiets and starts purring away.

I've tried ignoring it, I've tried scolding her, playing with her more, nothing works. Any other suggestions? I can't get another cat because I have a baby on the way, and I am really resistant to letting her outside because we live on a busy street. She's driving my husband nuts, so I need some help!
thanks

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Learn to salute, curtsy, and grovel - you have a real live princess LOL! I have one of those, funnily enough the only pedigreed cat we do have (a Maine coon) and she is very imperious and bossy - thinks she's so special (and of course she is) that we all just better get it, or else! As long as they don't get the drop on her first, she scares the two males silly with her scathing hisses, demands to be fed on the coffee table in the living room (don't ask!) and must have her bright orange fur groomed with her special comb every day. She's very dainty about the box (will only scratch the wall... litter's too icky I guess), only drinks with her spoon (paw), but luckily (for us) at 14, is the only cat we've ever had who never ever throws up, or is allergic to food, etc. and never has accidents.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats are very, very good at training their humans. I have no idea how you can turn the tables and train the cat. Maybe someone else has some ideas.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You mean you didn't know that we don't own cats, and that they own us?

I wouldn't scold her though
It's obvious that she loves your company, and i know you don't want to but i would be adding another cat as company because it usually works.

Also if she's always been used to being inside i wouldn't let her out because she could be terrified with the big outside world

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mygypsy

I've had Gypsy for over a year. She eats well, uses her litter regularly, and has no health or behavior problems. EXCEPT, she is in a very bad habit of demanding that I come and sit with her wherever she goes, instead of vice versa.

She is extremely vocal, and whenever she moves from room to room she announces her whereabouts with several minutes of meowing. Lately however she gets louder and louder until she is wailing and howling. As soon as I walk into the room, she quiets and starts purring away.

I've tried ignoring it, I've tried scolding her, playing with her more, nothing works. Any other suggestions? I can't get another cat because I have a baby on the way, and I am really resistant to letting her outside because we live on a busy street. She's driving my husband nuts, so I need some help!
thanks
I tell ya, that's what cats are for! (To order you around.) My cats order me around all day long just to get me ready for when my wife comes home!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mygypsy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well it's nice to know my cat isn't the only one! I guess I'll invest in some earplugs.
If we ever move to a bigger place, I probably will get her a friend, and until then I'll learn new levels of patience.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your kitty knows theirs a baby on the way, she sees you fixing up the baby's room.

She thinks the baby is going to take her place. You'll have to reasure her, talk to her, tell her that your baby is not going to take her place.

She knows changes are in the air; show her the baby (stomach), the baby's things, and tell her when the baby comes that you will have to give the baby lots of attention, BUT, you will give her attention too.

And tell the kitty that when the baby gets older the kitty will have someone else to play with besides you. Tell her that the baby is part of you and the baby will love her too.

Cats need to be told things, even tho they already know. Reasure her constantly, and I bet she will get off your back.

nellers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She sounds very smart, and I agree with the post above, I think she may sense another human is coming and is concerned!! Give her lots of love and hopefully she will get the message, and become a little more quiet for you!

LOL - as I type this mine is howling to be let out on the screened in porch

Excuse me. My master calls.

lexington

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really think that ignoring it will work. You just have to be tough and hang in there. It may take several days =o

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mygypsy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A few days have passed now and she's back to her normal talkative self. She isn't "yelling" anymore. The weather has warmed up here in the last couple weeks, and she's been shedding like crazy. Yesterday I found a big hairball. I think maybe her tummy was bothering her or she was constipated so she wanted my constant attention.

sooty_94

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mygypsy

thanks
Maybe if you raise your voice a little, but then again she isn't really being noisy. Im sorry i cant be of much assistance, but i know cats do seem to like ordering their owners around
they need a reminder that they are not the boss! It's hard to express though

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Most animals are easy to teach "who's boss". As in, you love and respect them and will listen to them, but when you put your foot down, that is enough. Horses and dogs are all I have had experience with and I've had excellent relationships, like that I described above, with each species. However, with cats, it's a whole new story. Every animal has a stubborn streak, can have attitude, they're all so different. But cats are different. They think they rule the house (usually because people let them) and that they can get what they want. For example: you let the cat have free roam of the house. With a dog, you may not, they're not allowed on the furniture, in the kitchen, in the dining room at eating time. But cats are, so this builds their confidence. Or when your cat wants to eat or play... they initiate when play time starts and ends, and sometimes when they want to eat. You "obey"! I think with cats, we just give them a little too much slack. So some of them tend to get paticularly bossy, instead of realizing who's really in charge here, and that they need to respect you. So instead of giving in when your cat wants something, stand strong. It may take DAYS, but don't give in. Your cat will soon realize that you are not going to give in and will gain a new respect for you.
I'm glad that you worked this out... Ignore what you don't want, reward what you do. That's one of my mottos when it comes to animals, training horses in paticular. Just remember this though... You are in charge. Cats are notorious for taking over, and some of this is just personality, and it's cute! But there is a time when you need to draw the line- you are not your cat's slave, even though we joke about it. Don't be harsh or cruel about it, though. Relationships are alot easier when respect is involved; coming from both ends, whether human or critter!