Girls - stained nails?

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I tend to wear alot of nailpolish, fingers and toes, and i do change alot. But the fingernails i change more. Two thirds from the white of the nail up are yellow/orange. Not so shocking that if i was talking to someone they would point it out, but i can see it, more in broad daylight though. I know i'm meant to wear a clear base coat underneath but atm im trying to get nice pink nails again before i do that. I don't smoke and don't have any er..fungal infections, it's just all the colour i wear. I've tried buffing it clean but it doesn't work. My nails are short atm. Are there any remedies you girls use for this? My little toenails are all healthy and pink the big toenails are a little yellow from the polish as well (again, i have good toe hygeine lol it's nothing icky) Ive got a whitening nail polish remover but dont use it often and a whitening nail polish (but the whole point is to actually have nude nails, not just cover it with a whiteish polish). Do i have to use a bleach type product?? HEEEELP!!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what will help you other than acitone nail polish remover and letting your nails breathe easy for awhile. I would be very very carefull if you use bleach though. It is very bad for your skin and could take a couple weeks for your skin to grow back healthy.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you wear a base coat on your nails before applying the actual polish, your nails won't turn yellow.

Not really much you can do about yellowed nails once it happens though. You can try lemon juice (squeezed from real lemons not the bottle kind) and that might help a bit.

Best thing to do is just leave your nails unpolished and let the colour grow out.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I color my nails all the time as well and hate that yellowed look. Even with a base coat, my nails will still yellow ... but the solution I found was to keep a french manicure at all times. It looks clean and well-kept and the color is subtle enough to look mostly natural. I even French Manicure my toenails. Very sexy with sandals or flips in the warm weather.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
take a slice of lemon and rub it on your nails.
(just watch out for cuts! it'll sting!)

another thing that works incredably well is to fill your sink up with warm water and add a denture cleaning tablet to the water- it takes the stains out immedately!!

(to avoid them in the first place- always use a good base coat)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

take a slice of lemon and rub it on your nails.
(just watch out for cuts! it'll sting!)

another thing that works incredably well is to fill your sink up with warm water and add a denture cleaning tablet to the water- it takes the stains out immedately!!

(to avoid them in the first place- always use a good base coat)
Ooooooh the tablets sound interesting.

I've noticed the staining comes more from my citrus tones gold and green have this yellow base that seems to be the culprit

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

Ooooooh the tablets sound interesting.

I've noticed the staining comes more from my citrus tones gold and green have this yellow base that seems to be the culprit
yup- light pinks/ and yellowish tones are the worst!!! stick to more blue based colors- they won't stain as bad!!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DON'T USE BLEACH! An evil wench told me to do that when I was 22, and the pain was incredible and lasted for hours. And it didn't even work!

But that denture cleanser idea sounds great! Thank you, Nikki!

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

Some guys use nail polish, too
Some guys look very sexy in it, too. Some guys. My guy would just look ... confused.

I'm wondering, would the tablets idea work for any sort of discolouration? I have a bad habit of not washing my hands after applying sunless tanning lotion (I'm usually in a big hurry and just wipe my hands off), so my fingernails get a little yellowy-orange from the lotion. Do you think the denture cleaning tablets would take that out, too? (Although I can just imagine the look on J's face when I go to buy denture cleaner ...
He already thinks my beauty purchases are just plain weird!)

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't knock those denture-cleansing tablets. We have hard water that stains the toilet. Four or five denture-cleansing tablets, a half-hour soak and a quick brush and flush gets it looking clean again.

As for the nails, the lemon juice is the best and cheapest method. Cut a lemon in half lengthwise, dig your nails into the pulp and hold for 15 minutes.

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katl8e

Don't knock those denture-cleansing tablets. We have hard water that stains the toilet. Four or five denture-cleansing tablets, a half-hour soak and a quick brush and flush gets it looking clean again.

As for the nails, the lemon juice is the best and cheapest method. Cut a lemon in half lengthwise, dig your nails into the pulp and hold for 15 minutes.
I also use the denture tablets to clean the bottoms of vases and bottles.

I usually warm the lemon in the microwave for a few seconds. The heated lemon juice seems to work better.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

If you wear a base coat on your nails before applying the actual polish, your nails won't turn yellow.

Not really much you can do about yellowed nails once it happens though. You can try lemon juice (squeezed from real lemons not the bottle kind) and that might help a bit.

Best thing to do is just leave your nails unpolished and let the colour grow out.
totally agree

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh, I have the same problem..I thought it was only me!!

I am so glad that you started this thread..there are some good ideas here
I will definately use them too!!

paulena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Ugh, I have the same problem..I thought it was only me!!

I am so glad that you started this thread..there are some good ideas here
I will definately use them too!!
Me, too!!