My cat suddenly charges and bites my leg.

ione

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a Russian Blue cat I named Czar. He loves sitting on my shoulder and follows me around the house like a puppy. The only problem is every once in awhile he will run and bite my leg/ankle really hard. I have been on antibiotics a couple of times because of this. It shocks everyone as he only attacks me and yet is totally affectionate with me. Why does he do this? It can happen at any time and I am getting so I don't trust him and am uncomfortable if I don't know exactly where he is. I don't want to get rid of him, but I am running out of ideas as to what to do. Help!

oofertman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
this is interesting because i have a Russian Blue as well and he does the exact same thing. it must be a play thing. my cat is very affectionate and a lot of times in the middle of a cuddle he will lunge and me and bite my wrist or ankle.

catpsych

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there,
No worries you are no alone on this one, so many cat owners experience this. The reason is becuase your cats are only-cats....they have no playmates. Cats need company too, many folks think cats are soooo independent and don't need much, but really they do. If they do not have a playmate or a littermate to play with you become the playmate and as you've seen kittens in play-mode that consists of ambushes, attacks, and jumping on and beating the you know what out of each other.....all that energy has now been redirected to you. Two things you can do to fix the issue is to schedule in more play time each day to help your cat get all that pent up energy out or you can adopt a playmate for him, your local animal shelter is a great place to start your seach.

Best wishes and I hope your ankles remain safe,
Kerry

Originally Posted by Ione

I have a Russian Blue cat I named Czar. He loves sitting on my shoulder and follows me around the house like a puppy. The only problem is every once in awhile he will run and bite my leg/ankle really hard. I have been on antibiotics a couple of times because of this. It shocks everyone as he only attacks me and yet is totally affectionate with me. Why does he do this? It can happen at any time and I am getting so I don't trust him and am uncomfortable if I don't know exactly where he is. I don't want to get rid of him, but I am running out of ideas as to what to do. Help!