New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calico Thread

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
Tortiebaby's thread on Torties made me think about Calicos and so I was wondering how many of you had calicos and what some of their behaviors are.
Lexi is a very sweet girl. She would never bite and just does not talk! She weighs about 7 pounds. She is very loving, but is not a lap cat. She will sleep with me when she feels like it. She does a lot or "rrrrr" sounds also.
She loves people food, but she was outside until she found us, so that could be a reason why! I will tell you one thing though....when her food is empty she lets you know and it's loud!!! That is the only time she ever talks and it's only one or two meows.
Is that normal for a calico? Or do they usually talk up a storm? Do they have attitudes like Torties? What are some normal behaviors for a calico? So share your Calicos!

Here are some pictures of her...this is one of the first pictures I took of her.



Here she is on my desk...she owns it now! She actually fell asleep on the ledge.



Here she is in her bed which sits on top of my bed...

post #2 of 18
I have two Calicos right now... but they're just babies. We're keeping one, Cleopatra, who is 7 weeks old now. The other baby is only 3 days old. Cleopatra is a very playful kitty, and has an attitude already! If she doesn't want to be held still, she's going to scream and squirm until she gets her way, LOL.

Here's Cleopatra:

post #3 of 18
Calico babies!!! My Snickers qualifies for this thread!

Snickers is almost 3 years old and weighs in at a whopping 18lbs. She is extremely talkative, but only when she wants to sit on my lap or sees birds outside. Other than that I don't hear from her at all. She's very very shy and most likely will not be seen by others until they've been to my house a number of times. She doesn't like it when we walk around, but won't leave us alone the minute we sit or lay down.
Oh! And she's got the biggest snuggliest belly ever!! Strange that she runs when we walk around the house cause she's so skittish, but she'll roll over on her back in a heartbeat if we're laying down to have her belly scratched, snuggled, kissed, used as a pillow.





post #4 of 18
What a pretty Calico you have! I just love the markings!



That's my old girl. She lived to be nearly 17! She just passed away a couple months ago after fighting hard for about 4 months. She slept with me every night from the time I was 4. She didn't have a meow though, it was some sort of weird squeking noise, and she was a lap cat only when she wanted to be.
post #5 of 18
EnzoLeya, what you have there is actually a Tortie! lol. She's beautfiul by the way. I'm sorry for your loss, that must have been hard. At least she was able to live a long happy life.

------------------------------------------

I have a calico too!

Her name is Cleopatra(my mother-in-law named her). She thinks she is royalty and that she ought to have everything she wants when she wants it, lol!

She is Bestia's kitten(the tortie from the tortie thread). I actually homed her with a woman when she was 12 weeks old, but I ended up taking her back because as the woman's baby got older, the child would (I assume) pull Cleo's hair and tail and Cleo didn't like that, so she would bite the child. The woman also had Skitzo, Cleo's sister, but Skitzo was fine with the child, so she wanted to keep her. Anyways, now Cleo is 10 months old(I got her back last month).

Character- she is VERY talkative and for some reason she likes to lick me 24/7. It realy hurts though(her tongue is like really harsh sandpaper) and sometimes annoys me. She is also VERY stubborn and if she wants to do something, she'll do it. I can spray her with water, tell her no, nothing works! Little bugger! lol. If I don't let her in the room she'll dig at the door and meow throughout the day til I let her in. >

Oh yeah, and she weighs about 9 lbs(I'm guessing). She's well over twice the size of her mother!

Anyways, enough talk, here's a pic of her:

post #6 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya View Post
What a pretty Calico you have! I just love the markings!



That's my old girl. She lived to be nearly 17! She just passed away a couple months ago after fighting hard for about 4 months. She slept with me every night from the time I was 4. She didn't have a meow though, it was some sort of weird squeking noise, and she was a lap cat only when she wanted to be.
Awww...I'm so sorry about your loss, but she lived for a very long time! She must have been a very sweet girl!
Thanks! I thought she was pretty also and decided to keep her for many reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortieBaby View Post
EnzoLeya, what you have there is actually a Tortie! lol. She's beautfiul by the way. I'm sorry for your loss, that must have been hard. At least she was able to live a long happy life.

------------------------------------------

I have a calico too!

Her name is Cleopatra(my mother-in-law named her). She thinks she is royalty and that she ought to have everything she wants when she wants it, lol!

She is Bestia's kitten(the tortie from the tortie thread). I actually homed her with a woman when she was 12 weeks old, but I ended up taking her back because as the woman's baby got older, the child would (I assume) pull Cleo's hair and tail and Cleo didn't like that, so she would bite the child. The woman also had Skitzo, Cleo's sister, but Skitzo was fine with the child, so she wanted to keep her. Anyways, now Cleo is 10 months old(I got her back last month).

Character- she is VERY talkative and for some reason she likes to lick me 24/7. It realy hurts though(her tongue is like really harsh sandpaper) and sometimes annoys me. She is also VERY stubborn and if she wants to do something, she'll do it. I can spray her with water, tell her no, nothing works! Little bugger! lol. If I don't let her in the room she'll dig at the door and meow throughout the day til I let her in. >

Oh yeah, and she weighs about 9 lbs(I'm guessing). She's well over twice the size of her mother!

Anyways, enough talk, here's a pic of her:

She's very pretty also! I forgot about the licking part. Lexi does that also. Not only will she lick me, but she will lick my clothes and my pillow at night! What's up with that??
Telling her "no" doesn't work that well either. She was outside so trying to stop her from jumping up on my desk, TV, etc is out of the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisasha3 View Post
Calico babies!!! My Snickers qualifies for this thread!

Snickers is almost 3 years old and weighs in at a whopping 18lbs. She is extremely talkative, but only when she wants to sit on my lap or sees birds outside. Other than that I don't hear from her at all. She's very very shy and most likely will not be seen by others until they've been to my house a number of times. She doesn't like it when we walk around, but won't leave us alone the minute we sit or lay down.
Oh! And she's got the biggest snuggliest belly ever!! Strange that she runs when we walk around the house cause she's so skittish, but she'll roll over on her back in a heartbeat if we're laying down to have her belly scratched, snuggled, kissed, used as a pillow.





I love her little white "boots"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnwalker2 View Post
I have two Calicos right now... but they're just babies. We're keeping one, Cleopatra, who is 7 weeks old now. The other baby is only 3 days old. Cleopatra is a very playful kitty, and has an attitude already! If she doesn't want to be held still, she's going to scream and squirm until she gets her way, LOL.

Here's Cleopatra:

She is sooo cute! I never got to see lexi as a little kitten so it gives me an idea of how cute they are!
post #7 of 18
This is the Diva, Etcetera D'Calico. When Turvy Demeter left us for the bridge, Etcetera assumed her rightful place as Queen of the tribe.



Etcetera is a chatterbox, talking ALL the time. She also is every bit the diva, very demanding of attention, with licks, headbumps, even little "love nips" if you try to ignore her. She is first to be fed, first to be brushed, and is the sole occupant of the second pillow on the bed.
post #8 of 18
my Java is my quietest cat... hardly makes any sounds at all, except when traveling to the vet! she does purr, but it's very soft, hard to hear. she usually sleeps with me, but this is new for her - just in the last 6-8 months or so. she greets me when i get home for 'kisses' - lifts her nose for me to kiss her i'm not posting a pic - my dial-up is incredibly slow - but she's in my sig below, & in the calico thread in fur pics as well. very sweet-natured, no attitude at all.
post #9 of 18
I have a Calico. Her name is Gizmo and she is 8 years old and fat. She does not play at all. No toy or laser pointer even fazes her.

She is the alpha kitty and at times can rule the house with an Iron Paw. She is pretty mellow right now since it is summer and she and some of the other cats go outside so she has more alone time. I guess the old saying that absense makes the heart grow fonder is true.

She mostly sticks to herself or she sleeps with our dog Queenie. She does not purr and really does not like to get pets. She comes around now and then but she kind of just does her own thing.

She has lots of nicknames. Speed Bump, Dump Truck, Road Kill, Gizenator, Gizzy Sumo Kitty and plain ole Giz.

She also sleeps on her back a lot which is how she got the road kill nick name.







She can be sweet and we have proof but don't tell her.

post #10 of 18
I'll move this to fur pics
post #11 of 18
My calico is 7 years old. Her name is Cala. She is very shy and hides under the bed most of the time. She is also obese. At her heaviest she was 18 lbs. I have her on an all canned diet right now. She currently weighs 16 lbs. Here is her pic

post #12 of 18
Awwww all these beautiful girls! Here is my Daphne .... although I am not sure if she is a calico per se .... I welcome any opportunity to post photos of her. Shameless, I know She is almost 5 months old and weighs 4 1/2 lbs.



post #13 of 18
I currently just have one calico, Lucky. Shes a quiet, laid back gal...unless she wants some love, then she bites me~HARD!!!

Well for some odd reason photobucket wont open!!! Maybe it will work later!!

Ok-its working now!! Sooo here she is!





I also have 2 RB calicos.....

Callie:


Gracie:
post #14 of 18
Erm... hope you all don't mind if I include a RB kitty, but she was a calico and I really miss her...

Of my NY furkids, we had two calicos - Gemini and Apache. Gemini is 15, still with us and still a handful... she might actually be a tortie now that I've seen pics of other torties and she definitely has the tortitude but I don't have a picture of her on the computer... I'll get one and you can all let me know which she is.

But this is Apache. We lost her a little too young - I believe she was 12... she unfortunately had to be put down due to cancer that just took over her whole 6lb body. She was a sweetheart, with a bit of an attitude. She also had the funniest meow... we used to say she sounded like she was a pack a day smoker for 30 years... no idea why, she had that meow even when she was a kitten.

Anyway, this is a picture of her and her boyfriend, Mayhem. Mayhem was about 5 years younger than her, but that didn't stop her! He was the only other cat in the house that she would tolerate... and when he grew up to be a 26lb maine coon, he became her protector. They couldn't live without each other and died within 2 months of each other...

post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuttigreeMom View Post
Anyway, this is a picture of her and her boyfriend, Mayhem. Mayhem was about 5 years younger than her, but that didn't stop her! He was the only other cat in the house that she would tolerate... and when he grew up to be a 26lb maine coon, he became her protector. They couldn't live without each other and died within 2 months of each other...


Aww that is such a nice picture and such a sweet story
post #16 of 18
now that this is in fur Pix, i will post my Java
NOOOOOO! i haven't done my hair yet!

that's better - see our pretty tree?

i am my meowmy's sweet girl
post #17 of 18
Back in the stone ages when I was young, I had a Calico named Marilyn Monroe, and yes, she walked exactly like the actress. The poor kitty went through a variety of names, Patches, Soda Pop, Ice Cream, and so on until we hit on Marilyn. She lived to be twenty years old.
post #18 of 18
Here's mine! On my lap right now, trying to get into my pocket (where the laser pen is.) As far as lap cats goes, she has replaced Persi for that job. She is a real sweetie pie in all respects (except the mess she makes flinging sand everywhere in and around the litter box, which is covered!)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Fur Pictures and Videos Only!