Tortie comparison thread!

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Alright, I must be crazy, but I have noticed through my life that most tortie cats I see/hear about seem to be smaller than the average cat.

Anyways, I want to see everyone's torties!
List her(I assume they are all girls) name, age, approx. how much she weighs, a little bit about her(her character), and athing else you might want to say about her. Of course, you have to post a picture to!

I'll start:

Name: Bestia
Weight: 4 lbs
Character: Extremely shy and hides from everyone but me. When she's not hiding she is up in a window watching the birds. She likes to play with younger cats(especially kittens), but she tends to be really rough with them. She is NOT a lap cat and will only tolerate being held for a matter of seconds before she freaks out. I have only been able to coax her into sleeping in my lap once in the 1 1/2 years I have had her.

Here she is:

Ok, so I went a wee overboard on the pics, lol.

Your turns! Don't be shy.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Two-Face is average I guess

Weighs: about 8 pounds.
Character: she's not like any other tortie I've read about. She is the most docile of my 14, loves attention but has NEVER bit or scratched us or the other cats. She loves cuddling with others.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
WEll, I don't know how to describe it...lol. If she looks like the cats in the pictures, feel free to post about her here. I won't hurt you if she isn't a tortie, lol.

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Haha, well let's see if she is! She isnt smaller than my other cat. She seems like a normal sized cat.

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's a tortie alright! What a beauty! What's her name?

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My baby Trout is 2 years old, weighs about 7 pounds. She has definate attitude..she will bite and scratch me without thinking twice. It is never to hurt me though. She loves to play fetch and have her belly rubbed. She is extremely shy when anyone comes over..she hides. Things must go HER way, or she will let me know about it.. She is a cuddlebug though, which I love about her
She makes me melt with love

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is it uncommon for a tortie to be longhaired?
Is it also common for them to be mean? LOL my tortie is super nice but she is shy, she would never bite anyone.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roimata

Is it uncommon for a tortie to be longhaired?
Is it also common for them to be mean? LOL my tortie is super nice but she is shy, she would never bite anyone.
Not really, I had one once. Miss Yoda, one of our RB kitties...

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if mean is the word..I would describe it as...always PMSing
So Trout is very moody...but not necessarily mean

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry I don't have pictures, but from the torties, calicos, patched tabbies I've owned, they all were normal size - none were under sized.

Most of the torties/calicos were cornish rex and were the proper size for the breed - 5-6 lbs. My biggest tortie (first breeding rex) was the size of males - so she was bigger then most - weighed 6-7 lbs in prime.

My patched tabby mixed breed was average - about 7-8 lbs from what I remember.

Torties are a color - not a breed, so there are just as many long as short hair - most mixed breeds tend to be shorthair as its the dominate gene.

As far as attitude - a lot of torties have "tortitude" - a bit flakey, quick to get upset, more mouthy and usually have to be "boss". I liked torties for breeding as you could get a variaty of colors from them, but I didn't like their attitude

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There are longhaired torties, but most cats in general are shorthair because those are the most common.

From what I've read, yes, it's common for torties to have a bit of an attitude, lol. Bestia doesn't know how to play nice, just rough. Whenever I try and "play" with her, she's end up hurting me, little bugger. Also, she has scratched and bit my hubby and my little sister-in-law(7 years old). I don't think she means to be mean, she's just scared of them and acts out of fear.

I've also noticed that many torties seem to get attached to just 1 person and around other people they are shy. Not always, but it doesn't seem that most are that way.

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's so weird and cool to see cats that look just like mine
Ive NEVER seen another cat that looks like mine.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sneaky Pie is a Tortishell Tabby.

She should be little, she was only 5 lbs when we got her as a kitten.

However, she LOVES food and can be quite the pig. Right now she's 12-13 lbs, and she's chubby for her small body.

And I didn't know these guys could have "tortitude" as well. Because Sneaky sure has it! She still loves to play, she'll "hide" behind the sofa and then leap out at you. Her favorite game is "ball". If you take a small rubber ball (the little ones you find in the gumball machines at stores) and throw it, she will run all over after it

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to see that this thread is getting so mane responses! As you guys can tell, I REALLY like torties! lol!

Although, not to be prejudice against my own kitties, but my personal favorite type of tortie is the dilute tortie. I just think they are SOOOOO beautiful. When Bestia once had kittens(long story) she had 3 and one of them was a dilute tortie. I wanted to keep her, but hubby wouldn't let me have any more kittes(SO not fair!). Anyways, for the heck of it, here's a pic of her. Her name was Skitzo(it was a very fitting name, lol):

Here's another picture of her snuggling with daddy(at least, I think he's the daddy, either way, he took up the role very well):

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 3...Paisley, Pixel, and Precious. They are littermates. They each have their own very distinct personality.

Name: Paisley
Weight:
no LOL...OK 11lbs
Character: Likes to state her opinion on everything. She's a cuddler with both people and cats. Prefers to be held while being petted. Very food motivated. Her favorite hobbies are annoying Momma, eating, fetching her orange mouse, and stealing food from her siblings.

Here's her pic:

Name: Pixel
Weight: 7.7lbs
Character: Very outspoken, has true tortitude. A people kitty, very devoted to her humans. Doesn't submit to any of the cats, very gutsy. Very energetic, still climbs the curtains on occasion.

Here's Pixel

Name: Precious
Weight: 6.8lbs
Character: Very shy kitty but does know how to ask for what she wants. She belongs to Junior, her surrogate Mr. Mom. She's the smallest cat here but she'll whack the biggest one in the head if they bother her.

Here's Precious: