Thunderbird 2.0 Mail Client

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Is anybody using this? Do you like it? I've just installed it, because I'm having difficulty accessing my emails immediately. I use two AOL addresses for a lot of things, and can access my email accounts using the AOL tool bar when I'm using the Firefox browser (second choice). Normally I use Opera, currently 9.2.1, and there's no AOL tool bar available for it, so I actually have to open AOL to get to my emails when using Opera.

Thunderbird allows me to read the emails from the AOL accounts, but not reply, or send new emails from those two addies (apparently I have to open AOL for that, or just use Gmail or Opera Mail).

Has anybody found a simpler solution? I really love Opera, especially the latest version, so I'd like to be able to keep using it despite its being incompatible with AOL.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

I installed it a while back and had so many issues with it I went back to Outlook
Uh, oh. This is the latest version, which has supposedly been "fixed". Will Outlook work with browsers other than Internet Explorer? I only use that for Windows updates.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have IE installed but rarely use it, Outlook opens separately and isn't an add-on so it should work for you. I only use it to check our ISP mail though, I check gmail/hotmail for spam through the email notifier add on for firefox

This may help:

Port 25 is the standard for outgoing emails. A sizeable exception is AOL which, to limit the amount spam relayed from its network, forces third-party email providers to support port 587 for SMTP.

In practical terms, this means that the user must use 587 as outgoing port for any non-AOL email account. The majority of email providers do, but this means that after an email account is setup, the user must go back to his or her email client's port settings and modify port information.

If your Internet Service Provider is AOL, this is what you need to do to use Thunderbird with a non-AOL email account.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

I have IE installed but rarely use it, Outlook opens separately and isn't an add-on so it should work for you. I only use it to check our ISP mail though, I check gmail/hotmail for spam through the email notifier add on for firefox

This may help:
Eithne, you're brilliant! I changed the ports on both accounts, and they're working! Thank you so much!

ETA: I use the Gmail notifier for Firefox, and have it installed for IE, but I haven't seen one for Opera, so I've just set things up so that the mails from my (separate) Gmail accounts are forwarded to my (separate) AOL accounts. I'm beginning to think that 5 regularly used email accounts are too many! I tried to keep news alerts, etc., separate from private, school and TCS matters, and have the TCS mod's addy, but it's getting too complicated.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Wow! This is fabulous. I can now access all of my email accounts from Opera. Now I just have to check out the other three browsers I have installed.

ETA: It's working!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is great

Yeah, I try and keep mine separate but then I forget and email someone from one of them who happens to be messed up in two 'groups' and they forward it to someone in the second group and then way too many people are using the wrong email.

So I have cut it down to one for forums, one for work related stuff, one for personal and one for spammy stuff which is my old hotmail I have had for ages.