Oh no! I just broke my glasses!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Darn Darn DARN!!!!

My glasses are broken. I can see with out them, but I'm much more likely to get a migrane. Also, there's not enough money to get them fixed so I'm going to be with out them for a while.

UGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Darn Darn DARN!!!!

My glasses are broken. I can see with out them, but I'm much more likely to get a migrane. Also, there's not enough money to get them fixed so I'm going to be with out them for a while.

UGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Where did they break - the lense or the wire? Can you tape them?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by adymarie

Where did they break - the lense or the wire? Can you tape them?
The screw on the side, so I can't keep them on my face at all. I can't tape them or it will throw of my perspective.

So much for a movie weekend.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww, sorry to hear this Heather.........I can't be without my glasses..good for you that you can!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The screw is easily fixed, mine kept popping out so he used some special super glue they have and a bigger screw, $5 later and they haven't given me any trouble.

You can buy the little screw kits for around $3 here if it is just lost, if the thread is gone, any optical place should be able to fix them cheaply

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
take them to your local optical place- the screws are VERY easy and cheap to fix!!!

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
walmart has always fixed my glasses for free(from them or not) screws and even replaces arms and the earpiece(kittens chewed it off lol) also costco did glue my frame lasted long enough to et another pair...I know your pain i had to call out of work as i truly can't see without my glasses

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, you can get the screw replaced for cheap.If that won't work, go to Wal-Mart and see if you can buy a pair of their readers glasses until you can get yours fixed.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you have an optical place near you, just drop in. It will take them a minute or 2 and probably won't even charge you. I know I've never had to pay to have mine fixed and I had one pair that the screw seemed to always be coming out.

Also I always keep my last prescription glasses in my car just in case of an emergency. I cannot see and especially cannot drive without my glasses.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
oooh, that sucks! I gotta echo the others and stop into a Wal-mart, it shouldn't cost much to fix them

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I hope that you were able to get them re-screwed. That has happened to me before. I recently broke mine - but the frame itself broke - I have been crazy glueing it together for 2 months now - I feel like such a geek! So yesterday I had an eye exam - boy getting old really sucks! So, new prescription and new frames - thanks goodness for vision insurance, since it covered about half the cost! I too, have migraine problems, so I had some new anti glare tech. added, as well as transitional lenses, etc....yikes! I hope that you don't have to go through all of that!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow... I wonder if Target will do the same thing.

Thanks so much... I thought this was going to get really expensive.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
if they have an optical shop, probably. if not, they'll more than likely have the little repair kits. i have one in my purse, & one here at home.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The screw on the side, so I can't keep them on my face at all. I can't tape them or it will throw of my perspective.

So much for a movie weekend.
I feel your pain! I hope you can get them fixed at Target or some place like that. My stems are cracked where they bend for the ear (shhhh I didn't tell DH). That will be really expensive since they don't replace stems esp with the spring. My lenses are scratched from Benson when we first got him and the christmas tree. That was a few weeks after I got them but just after the 30 day grace period when I noticed the big scratch. I wish they had my frame still so I can just replace that.

I wonder if Lenscrafters adjust my glasses and the stem breaks if they would replace them for free

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you are/were able to get them fixed. I believe the special "glue" referred to is also known as thread lock, you put this on a screw if the hole is stripped and it helps hold it in.
I'm very near sighted, and while its ok to go without my glasses around the house, if I go outside or anywhere I must have them.... or else I'll run into stuff. Very embarrassing in public.

Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

I wonder if Lenscrafters adjust my glasses and the stem breaks if they would replace them for free
I think they check before they do anything. Several years ago I had a pair of frames that were fine, so I just wanted to replace the lenses. Lenscrafters wouldn't do it because they said the frames would break.
I went to another place that did, the frames are still together and they're my backup glasses.

A little suggestion on buying glasses. If you can spend the extra for high quality frames - do so, they're worth the cost.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Darn Darn DARN!!!!

UGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well, it's a good thing your name is lookingglass!

If you just need reading glasses like me you can actually get useful ones at the dollar store.
Other than that, if you are strapped for cash you can actually find glasses at the Goodwill that can hold you over until you can get the exact match. And you may be able to get an exact match, it is worth a try. The Goodwill store here has hundreds of prescription glasses, you just need some time to try them all on because they are not labeled.

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sure any eye glasses place will fix them for free, I live in Ohio and when I was in Florida to visit my fiance one of the screws came loose while we were at the mall, and there was a Lenscrafters there and I just waltz in and asked them if they could fix it, and their like "sure!", they even cleaned them LOL no questions asked and they didnt charge me anything.

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, I know exactly what you're going through!

My hubby stepped on my glasses(long story) and at the time we had NO money. I had to hot-glue them together for about 2 months before I could scrounge up enough money to get an exam. I still didn't have enough money for glasses though, so I got a contact exam instead and had to use the "trial pair" of contacts for about a month before I could buy a box.

Not I have finally found an old pair of glasses from when I was a teenager and I will just get some new lenses put in them. It's much cheaper. Plus, I don't like the frames they sell nowadays, they stick out too far on the sides and, to me, they look funny.

Good luck and I hopw you are able to buy some new glasses really soon!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the problem with my glasses too. For some reason the screw on one of the arms at the frame tends to come loose. Usually I notice but one time I didn't and the glasses came apart and I lost the tiny screw. I took them to an optical place and they fixed it right there while I waited. I had to pay for the screw but the whole thing eas under $5.00 IIRC.