gentle bites

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oliver loves company. There are a few visitors who he seems to really like. He very gently bites their legs and will not leave them alone. He does not do this to my DH or me. Why?

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LuckyGirl will give you a gentle bite as well, it's more like holding your hand with her mouth... and then if you say "owww" she licks it all better.

Leo will just bite you as hard as he can, the little stinker...

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our Tedy (yellow tabby cat) loves to come in and give my hip a tiny love bite when i`m sitting on the john. Scared me the first time he did it, but it did`nt really hurt and he was`nt being aggressive.....guess he just could`nt resist nibbling on the fat hanging over the edge!
Linda

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To describe it a little better, Oliver barely grazes the skin - like a tickle, but keeps doing it. It is on men's bare legs and arms only - and only a select few men
. Maybe he likes their hair.

Its not the same as when he is playing and goes for your hand as if it were a toy. We try to avoid that.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stampit3d

.....guess he just could`nt resist nibbling on the fat hanging over the edge!
Linda
cute!

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Our Tedy (yellow tabby cat) loves to come in and give my hip a tiny love bite when i`m sitting on the john. Scared me the first time he did it, but it did`nt really hurt and he was`nt being aggressive.....guess he just could`nt resist nibbling on the fat hanging over the edge!
Linda
omg!

girlsetsfiyah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Linda
*dies*

I tend to get the nibbles first thing in the morning...If it's beyond treat time ndI haven't woken up yet. Fatty first bgins wth the head butts, then nibbles any bare skin he can find. Not nice when it's your nose! A fang up the nostril really kills! Spliff on the other hand just sits as close to my face as possible and purrs his loudest...

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sweetie also will give my hand love bites and then licks it as if to make it better. Once my Juno tried to bite my leg but I think she was just curious as to what it was. If Sweetie goes from a love bit to a more agressive one I tell her no bite and remove my hand.

catpsych

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, it sounds like Oliver is a very affectionate kitty, it is nice to get a post about this. Everyone else seems to be having aggression issues, so this is nice to get a post about an extra lovey kitty. What Oliver is doing is also called flea biting/love bites or nibbles. It is a sign of affection, cats will do it to each other as a means of mutual grooming. Since you already are covered in your cat's scent he probably doesn't feel the need to do it to you as much, but when new folks enter your home he is anxious to deposit his scent onto them (because once his scent is deposited he feels at ease, that everything is familiar) and he does it affectionately by love bites. If you have some friends that don't like cats and prefer not to be bothered by the lovefest tell your guest to directly stare at your kitty, no blinking or as little as possible. This is a threatening stare (that dominate animals do in the wild) and your cat will most likely stay the heck away from this person. I hope this sheds a little light on the subject, have a great weekend!

Kerry

Originally Posted by Rockcat

Oliver loves company. There are a few visitors who he seems to really like. He very gently bites their legs and will not leave them alone. He does not do this to my DH or me. Why?

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatPsych

Wow, it sounds like Oliver is a very affectionate kitty, it is nice to get a post about this. Everyone else seems to be having aggression issues, so this is nice to get a post about an extra lovey kitty. What Oliver is doing is also called flea biting/love bites or nibbles. It is a sign of affection, cats will do it to each other as a means of mutual grooming. Since you already are covered in your cat's scent he probably doesn't feel the need to do it to you as much, but when new folks enter your home he is anxious to deposit his scent onto them (because once his scent is deposited he feels at ease, that everything is familiar) and he does it affectionately by love bites. If you have some friends that don't like cats and prefer not to be bothered by the lovefest tell your guest to directly stare at your kitty, no blinking or as little as possible. This is a threatening stare (that dominate animals do in the wild) and your cat will most likely stay the heck away from this person. I hope this sheds a little light on the subject, have a great weekend!

Kerry
Kerry, thanks so much for your answer! You're right, Oliver is very social cat. Wait 'till I tell my friends that he's "flea biting" them.
As far as having friends that don't like cats... well - they're not allowed in our house.