OMG, I am SO mad! No lion cut today!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was literally 60 seconds away from grabbing Ferris to get him into the carrier to take him to the vet this morning, when I heard the phone ring, and a voice on the answering machine telling me that his appointment for today is CANCELLED!
Talk about LAST MINUTE!

All three cats were NOT happy with me that there was no food or water down for them after 8 p.m. last night. Penny told me off but good when I took up the water fountain, and Ferris yelled at me for the next hour or so, as soon as he discovered that the food bowls weren't on the floor.

Then of course, they tormented me by causing trouble all night long - like the 3 a.m. giant CRASH as everything that was on top of on of my bureaus came smashing to the floor. They NEVER act that way, so I know exactly what the issue was.

Then I had to get up nearly an hour early to shower this morning, I spent quite a bit of time getting the kitchen ready last night for the grab and stuff this morning when I could have gotten other things done, my entire schedule this week was worked around today's appointment - I am SO MAD!!!!

The only positive: I had not yet actually tried to catch Ferris so he was blissfully unaware of the trauma that he might just have gone through FOR NO REASON!

The reason for the last minute - and I mean again, literally LAST MINUTE cancellation was because one vet tech called out. One. Why? Because they put their dog down yesterday.

OK, I'm human, I can understand grief, I can't complain about the WHY. But what the heck - they KNOW that Ferris is a special case, they KNOW that this is hugely stressful for him - I don't understand why they can't have their OTHER vet techs help out!

So now they want for me to bring him in on Thursday instead. Great. Another night for me with less sleep and majorly upset kitties. A completely turned around schedule and now I'll have to reshuffle other appointments like mad.

Oh, I am SO NOT HAPPY RIGHT NOW!

Yeah...that's what I wanted to deal with this week. I am now in a REALLY bad mood.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You must be mad, you used the limit of 12 smileys on angry ones!

It was very inconsiderate of them, after knowing you weren't feeding all night.

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh that had to be so dissapointing. And yes, you would think they could have still done it with the staff that was there. Many hugs to you and your kitties for another night of no food or water Wed. night, and to Ferris for an uneventful day.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not a morning person either and I would be

Wonder how many appointments they cancelled!? Poor kitties without food or water since 8pm

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is frustrating. It is so hard on cats when the routine for them is changed.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As annoying as I'm sure it is to you, this is a perfect example of how calling in to work sick affects everyone - your co-workers and customers. If the other techs had a full schedule it isn't fair to assume they will cover for the one calling in. I wouldn't want them to take less time and hurry my kitty through an appointment simply because they had to fit in a co-worker's appointments because she called in sick. As for being the last minute, I doubt if they knew last evening that the person was going to call in sick this morning so they wouldn't have been able to cancel your appointment before this person called in this morning.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww that stinks, I would be upset too because you feel so bad having to take their food away, I had a mutiny on my hands before Lucia's spay
Sorry this happened Betsy but try to put it behind you and have a good day

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad that Ferris went unaware... but that sucks! Now, I have a question... you know how docs (vets included) will still charge you if you cancel with in 24 hours... are you getting ANY type of compensation for the inconvience this has caused you and ALL 3 of your cats?!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

I'm glad that Ferris went unaware... but that sucks! Now, I have a question... you know how docs (vets included) will still charge you if you cancel with in 24 hours... are you getting ANY type of compensation for the inconvience this has caused you and ALL 3 of your cats?!
I have even been brazen enough to ask them this question. Naturally one has to deal with the reception person so doesn't actually get an answer. There are different rules for them and us.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

As annoying as I'm sure it is to you, this is a perfect example of how calling in to work sick affects everyone - your co-workers and customers. If the other techs had a full schedule it isn't fair to assume they will cover for the one calling in. I wouldn't want them to take less time and hurry my kitty through an appointment simply because they had to fit in a co-worker's appointments because she called in sick. As for being the last minute, I doubt if they knew last evening that the person was going to call in sick this morning so they wouldn't have been able to cancel your appointment before this person called in this morning.
When our coworkers call in sick it is our RESPONSIBILITY to cover for those that are out of the office. If your office PAYS you then it IS fair to cover for your coworkers, as far as I am concerned. Unless they don't consider themselves a TEAM.

Again, I AM human, and I CAN understand why that person called out today because they are grieving the loss of their doggie, however, I do not understand why the semi-feral with the panic issues had to be the one who got the cancellation over other animals.

If it had been Ginger or Penny that had the appointment today, I would have simply taken it in stride and not been so upset, but it is a HUGE ORDEAL for me to get Ferris to the vet, and they are FULLY aware of it.

Our appointment was for 8 a.m. and they called me at 7:50 a.m.

I should think that it would have made more sense for OTHER appointments to get cancelled rather than Ferris', again, because they KNOW how stressful it is for me to get him there.

What if he had already been in the crate, yowling and peeing all over himself and I was running out the door when they called?

Really, I am beyond angry, and I don't give a DARN whether or not the other vet techs think it would be unfair to cover for a coworker. PUH-LEASE!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

You bet your bippie I'll be demanding a discount for the stress factor alone!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad I don't work at your vet's office. I would so be hiding in the back closet at your next appointment!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

When our coworkers call in sick it is our RESPONSIBILITY to cover for those that are out of the office. If your office PAYS you then it IS fair to cover for your coworkers, as far as I am concerned. Unless they don't consider themselves a TEAM.

I think it would depend on the type of business. A hairdresser for instance schedules 30 - 45 minutes for a style/treatment. If he/she has their appointment book filled for that day and a co-worker calls in sick, I don't want to be one of the appointments that she rushes to do so she can pick up the sick co-worker's clients. That's not fair to me and I'm paying the same amount even if I got less than normal.

Again, I AM human, and I CAN understand why that person called out today because they are grieving the loss of their doggie, however, I do not understand why the semi-feral with the panic issues had to be the one who got the cancellation over other animals.

Do you in fact know that your semi-feral with the panic issues was the ONE who got the cancellation over the other animals? In other words, nobody else's appointments were cancelled - just yours.

If it had been Ginger or Penny that had the appointment today, I would have simply taken it in stride and not been so upset, but it is a HUGE ORDEAL for me to get Ferris to the vet, and they are FULLY aware of it.

If they were FULLY aware of it and only cancelled Ferris' appointment, then these people are very nasty indeed to deliberately do that. I would cease to have anything to do with them ever again.

Our appointment was for 8 a.m. and they called me at 7:50 a.m.

I should think that it would have made more sense for OTHER appointments to get cancelled rather than Ferris', again, because they KNOW how stressful it is for me to get him there.

Again, for them to cancel only your appointment out of all the others is just plain nasty and I would never, ever go to them again.

What if he had already been in the crate, yowling and peeing all over himself and I was running out the door when they called?

Really, I am beyond angry, and I don't give a DARN whether or not the other vet techs think it would be unfair to cover for a coworker. PUH-LEASE!
I can understand being upset, but to "yell" and be so angry won't be very helpful to anyone. Ferris will sense your anger, your blood pressure suffers and the people you are dealing with will pay less attention to you than if you calmed down and explained your feelings in a firm, mature manner.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry you had to g thru that, and put the kittys thru that as well.

Hopefully Thursday will go much smoother!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I can understand being upset, but to "yell" and be so angry won't be very helpful to anyone. Ferris will sense your anger, your blood pressure suffers and the people you are dealing with will pay less attention to you than if you calmed down and explained your feelings in a firm, mature manner.
OK, first of all, I appreciate where you are coming from, but your comments are actually making me MORE angry.

The only "yelling" I am doing is HERE, in PRINT. It is called VENTING, and I thought that it was allowed here. I come here for SUPPORT, and you are NOT supporting my feelings, thanks anyway.

After getting off the phone with the vets office (and I CALMLY told them how displeased I was because it is a HUGE problem for me to have this happen this way) I then CALMLY put out the food and water dishes for the kits and ran out the door to go to work.

I did not have a chance to VENT until I got onto TCS and posted this thread.

Again, all you have done is get me MORE UPSET, so please BACK OFF. I am EXTREMELY mature, and an educated professional, and I don't go around verbally abusing people.

NOR do I start lecturing someone who is obviously upset. Think about that for a moment, would you please?

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Betsy, breath deeply chick!

I think we can all understand how frustrated you are, but sometimes things are out of our control. I know what you mean about others being able to stand in the other vet techs position, but they may have had a heavy schedule at the surgery?.

I remember when Sophie was due her spay. On the sunday she had an upset tummy so i quickly took her in where they gave her an antibiotic shot. She went in for her spay on the friday but they brought her straight back out saying her temperature was too high so it had to be cancelled until the following friday.

It was when i took her back that i learnt her vet who was doing the op had been ill for the past two weeks and ended up having to go back home. Now that made me think was she feeling unwell still when Sophie went in and said her temperature was still high on purpose because she didn't feel up to doing it, which if that's the case i'm pleased she didn't because i want a vet that's alert when their doing any work on my cats

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

OK, first of all, I appreciate where you are coming from, but your comments are actually making me MORE angry.

The only "yelling" I am doing is HERE, in PRINT. It is called VENTING, and I thought that it was allowed here. I come here for SUPPORT, and you are NOT supporting my feelings, thanks anyway.

After getting off the phone with the vets office (and I CALMLY told them how displeased I was because it is a HUGE problem for me to have this happen this way) I then CALMLY put out the food and water dishes for the kits and ran out the door to go to work.

I did not have a chance to VENT until I got onto TCS and posted this thread.

Again, all you have done is get me MORE UPSET, so please BACK OFF. I am EXTREMELY mature, and an educated professional, and I don't go around verbally abusing people.

NOR do I start lecturing someone who is obviously upset. Think about that for a moment, would you please?
Firstly let me say I didn't mean to make you more angry and for that I apologize. I read your thread as you being EXTREMELY upset and more than just venting and I was trying to get you to see both sides of the issue - devil's advocate if you wish in hopes that it would have a more calming effect than it obviously did.

I wasn't verbally abusing you or lecturing you so the "BACK OFF" comment was really unnecessary but certainly an indication of your emotional turmoil.
I hope you have a better day than it has started out to be.