Spanish

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was just wondering, what is your approach regarding the fact that everywhere you go in this country, or every institute you're calling to, every time you do this you handle your conversation either with English (default) or Spanish. Do you think it's okay that Spanish has become the 2nd language here?

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The part of Wisconsin that I live in has a growing Hispanic population so I guess i'm getting used to it. We however also have a large Hmoung population (from Laos)and have lots of signs and stuff in the Hmoung language too.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't mind if a person from another country comes here and wants to speak their native language. But what I strongly object to is there are far too many who feel that America should accomodate them in their language because they don't want to learn ENGLISH.

If you are gonna spend your life here, then start learning English so you can be a productive member of society instead of saying "I can't work cause I can't speak English". Even if you are an older personn, at least make the attempt to learn enough English that you can get by.

I always say if you go live in France or Germeny, etc. - you are expected to eventually learn the language; should be the same in America.

Many immigrants that came here in early 1900's from Europe DID learn English and were proud to do so - they didn't expect America to put documents, menus, etc. in their language.

America really needs to enforce and make this country's official language ENGLISH!

Those that want to speak their native language can do so in the privacy of their own home or among others who speak it - but everyone should also know enough English to speak and read intelligently!

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My approach was taking 4 semesters of it in college (which isn't a whole lot really).

I've actually been to both Spain and Mexico, but only for a few weeks each.
I love Latin culture from around the world!

As I see it, we're all immigrants here in the US. I don't mind it really. As for illegal immigrants, I don't think that socio-economic issues and corrupt governments should be held against those who come here (in other words, they come the way they do for a reason!). It's a complex issue that involves more than just something being illegal.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by arie85

I was just wondering, what is your approach regarding the fact that everywhere you go in this country, or every institute you're calling to, every time you do this you handle your conversation either with English (default) or Spanish. Do you think it's okay that Spanish has become the 2nd language here?
Go to Europe for a while. Almost everybody speaks the language of the country that borders them. And English, too. I think that is OK, too.

You had better get used to it because the number of Spanish speakers is RAPIDLY increasing while the number of native English speakers is going down as a percentage with all of the immigrants at present.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

How do you say "I foresee this thread getting moved to IMO soon?" in Spanish?
It could be write like this:
I vislumbro que este post será movido a IMO pronto!...
( Happy nita?
...)

I hope some day exist a Spanish thread or forum here

I have english as my 2 language as you can see!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't mind the spanish menus on phones myself. If someone is calling about a utility bill or credit card they are probably more comfortable speaking in the native language. As for the signs, they are fine in tourist areas. When I went to Indonesia and Japan, I would have been lost without english on the signs. Now, if they start popping up in West Virginia...then we may have a problem.

But, I agree if they are living in the United States they need to at least try to learn english. I work in a call center, and we do have people call in and ask for a spanish speaking person (we have 1 that works there) but that only happens once every few weeks. But, at least they have learned enough to ask for one.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by adymarie

In Canada we get French and English and it works for us.....
Yeah, it gets to be pretty normal to see things written in both languages. I would say that most English-speaking Canadians can just sort of automatically translate a long list of French words that they're just used to seeing every single day -- you don't even notice it any more, really. My brain just automatically goes "Ahhh, revitalisant ... that means 'conditioner'" or "beurre d'arachide means 'peanut butter.'" I know people who haven't taken a single French class in their lives who just know the meaning of the French words they see on signs and on the products they buy.

You get used to it. *shrug* I even kinda like it.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On vacation in North Carolina, people will try speaking Spanish to you first and then switching to English if you don't respond.

I thought it was cool, because I speak Spanish and it was fun to have a conversation. Here they just assume you can't understand them which is sometimes more frustrating.

As for it being on phone menus, why does it matter? If a private company wants to cater to the Spanish-speaking population as well, it doesn't effect you any more than any of the other automated options that you don't press. What do you expect them to do, say 'oh, let's lose money because we don't want people to speak Spanish in America on principle'?

And, this thread has been in IMO a few times.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Working in public services (i.e. retail and such), I get a LOT of folks coming in who do not and will not speak English. I also used to tutor ESL students in college. It is one of the most difficult languages to learn, due to all the idiosyncracies. I get that, really. But my great-grandparents were from Switzerland, German speaking all their lives. When they came to the US, they learned English. Period. 100 years ago, no one whined about how America doesn't accommodate for non-native speakers. If I moved to Mexico tomorrow, I'd be working on my Spanish, pronto!! Same with ANY other country.

As someone mentioned, in tourist areas and such, it's fine, you have people from all over the world coming to visit. I don't expect visitors to learn English, but if you want to LIVE here, learn enough to deal with life. That's my 2 cents.

Don't get me started on the immigration debate... this WILL get moved to IMO asap if that happens. Without going too much into it, I'll say this: I may be one of them 'bleeding-heart liberals,' but my bleeding heart only has so much it can take. We're not the almighty America some people think we are. We have plenty of our own problems. We need to fix ourselves first, before bringing more in. 'Nuff said.

*zips mouth shut* hmmpphphhmpphhhht

A.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't see a problem with it. Well except that I don't speak spanish!
But really I don't mind having that option for those who don't have English as a native language. One of my favorite coworkers speaks spanish mostly but is learning more and more spanish everyday. She calls me her spell check cause I am always the one to edit her e-mail and such!
And she is helping me learn some spanish!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

Working in public services (i.e. retail and such), I get a LOT of folks coming in who do not and will not speak English. I also used to tutor ESL students in college. It is one of the most difficult languages to learn, due to all the idiosyncracies. I get that, really. But my great-grandparents were from Switzerland, German speaking all their lives. When they came to the US, they learned English. Period. 100 years ago, no one whined about how America doesn't accommodate for non-native speakers. If I moved to Mexico tomorrow, I'd be working on my Spanish, pronto!! Same with ANY other country.
I agree with you, if I moved anywhere I would start learning the language as well.
I have to disagree that nobody tried to speak another language in America 100 years ago, though. This same exact debate happened in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Indiana, etc... about German speakers, about 100, 150 years ago. German speakers had their own separate schools, many of them didn't try to learn English, pretty much the exact same thing that is happening now, complete with lawsuits, bilingual education, and English-Only movements. This current thing with Spanish is just the latest version of a very old thing.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have a problem with it at all.
Maybe because my MIL was born in Mexico...and yes, she IS her legally.
She spoke and understood English before she ever came to this country.

I think is great to know more than one language.
My Husband grew up speaking both Spanish and English at home so he's fluent in both.
He and my MIL have taught two of our four kids to speak and understand Spanish as well.
I'm trying, but I'm not as good a student as my kids were

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This thread should be in the IMO section.

I have no prejudice against those who speak Spanish as a first language, however, I firmly believe that if you come to the USA you darned well better learn to speak English ASAP.

If I were to go to live in a foreign country where English was NOT the first language, I would make every effort to learn to communicate there and not expect that THEY should be the ones to learn MY language.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

I agree with you, if I moved anywhere I would start learning the language as well.
I have to disagree that nobody tried to speak another language in America 100 years ago, though. This same exact debate happened in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Indiana, etc... about German speakers, about 100, 150 years ago. German speakers had their own separate schools, many of them didn't try to learn English, pretty much the exact same thing that is happening now, complete with lawsuits, bilingual education, and English-Only movements. This current thing with Spanish is just the latest version of a very old thing.
Okay, yes... I generalized, which is bad for debating... not everyone back then... but thinking of percentages, a very large number of them back then did learn some English. There are always exceptions. It's just nowadays it seems there's more 'entitlement' going on... which I take issue with...

Again, I could start on about the immigration (since that's what my brain wants to talk about) but I'm holding my tongue...

Waiting for the other shoe to drop... i.e. a Mod coming along and moving this to IMO...