New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Eeeek!

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
My kitty, Renji, was transfered to my home today, and may I say, thank god. The breeder's home's conditions were deplorable, as I found precious kitties waltzing around freely amongst a sea of ants and and rotting cat food...The stench was awful...I got the impression she owned a kitty mill, for there were at least fifteen kittens, some dancing about, others locked up in small kennels. Anyway, so I brought my Renji home ASAP. He was given his own little room. :3 ~

Anyway, I went inside to give him his dinner, and I noticed something on his cheek. Well, I got a closer look and found it was a flea. My dog never had fleas, and I rarely ever saw one, so I knew it came from the breeder's house. I flicked it off and petted her awhile, and I began checking for other flea's when I discovered something...Renji was covered in dirt and infested with fleas....Eeek! I set her down and grabbed my pet shampoo, towel and brush immeadeintly. He was bathed, which eliminated all of that dirt, but the fleas were still on. I gave him Advantage and he should be fine, but oh my god. That breeder....I just can't believe it! My poor Renji....

He's recovering in his room now, but I'm really in shock. However, I have no regrets of buying him from the breeder, as Renji is a very sweet and beautiful ragdoll kitty.
post #2 of 11
I am sorry you had a less-than-pleasant experience with your breeder. I did want to say that there are those of us out here who keep a very clean home and cattery environment and that our cats get the utmost of good care. Even with keeping an intact male cat in my home, you wouldn't know it from sniffing the air even though he does spray profusely. I am a clean freak when it comes to my cats - being less than so can lead to potential illnesses and I just can't see risking that in my cats.

Welcome to your newest arrival - how about a few pictures when you can?
post #3 of 11
I would get a flea comb as soon as possible and keep combing for awhile. Someone mentioned salt in the carpet/furniture cushions as a way to kill any fleas.

They only spend 10% of the time on the animal - the other 90% is in the carpet laying eggs.

Glad you got one kitten out of the situation. But I feel so bad/sick about all the others living like that. Can you report her to Animal Control for abuse and possible kitten mill? I would!
post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
I would get a flea comb as soon as possible and keep combing for awhile. Someone mentioned salt in the carpet/furniture cushions as a way to kill any fleas.

They only spend 10% of the time on the animal - the other 90% is in the carpet laying eggs.

Glad you got one kitten out of the situation. But I feel so bad/sick about all the others living like that. Can you report her to Animal Control for abuse and possible kitten mill? I would!
I was considering that, but she's a licensed breeder. Does that change anything? Can I still report her?
post #5 of 11
I would try getting some capstar. Whenever I get a new kitten(or find a stray) I always give them a capstar and stick them in the bathtub/shower cell for a few hours. This kills all the fleas on them, so there is almost 0 chance of any getting in your house and on your pets. It has worked every time for me.
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibasgirl View Post
I was considering that, but she's a licensed breeder. Does that change anything? Can I still report her?
I wouldn't care what she was. If those cats/kittens are living in filth i would still be reporting her because that's not right at all
post #7 of 11
Thats ALL the more reason to report her. Especially if it sounds like a kitten mill situation! I don't care who the person is - the fact is that the cats are in danger and she should be fined/stopped from this.

Its hard to shut down puppy and kitten mills, but it can be done.
post #8 of 11
Congrats on bringing your new kitty home. I feel so bad for all the ones that are left in those conditions though. Please report her!
post #9 of 11
Yes, I would definitely report her. The kittens don't need to live like that! They deserve a life with someone who cares. Please keep us updated, this is worrying me!
post #10 of 11
Wow. I certainly would not have expected that kind of environment with a breeder. Something definately needs to be done.
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferL View Post
Wow. I certainly would not have expected that kind of environment with a breeder. Something definately needs to be done.

Just because a person is a breeder, sadly, doesn't always make them ethical. Always check out a breeder, if you can do so in person, it is all the better, see the living conditions of the cats and kittens. If you can't meet the breeder in person, ask for references, a breeder shouldn't get upset when easing the anxiety of a future adoptive family, who doesn't have the option to see the breeders enviroment.
The flea issue would bother me, but I would realize this can happen in the southern states if prevention is not kept up, however hearing of small kennel cages, multiple kittens, and the conditions you describe are not indicitive of an ethical breeder.

I also want to echo what Goldenkitty said about treating everything, carpets and all. We did a rescue situation 4 years ago, with 2 cats with fleas covering them, and we did every safe precaution we could think of, our animals already had prevention, but do think of carpeted areas. It was really an easy fix, the owner had let the cats become anemic with fleas, something I won't understand.

That being said, welcome to your newest addition, it sounds like he will be well cared for and loved with you. Pictures when you can.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Care & Grooming