Unable to diagnose digestive problem; do these symptoms sound familiar?

simone's mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please help if you can. I am desperate to do whatever it takes to make my furry baby well. Presley is a 2 1/2 year old Male cat. In April, he started having daily diarrhea. Vet ran stool panel, came back negative. He was placed on Metrnidizole, which worked until he finished his prescrption. Diarrhea returned. Vet ran blood panel, came back negative; nothing out of the ordinary. We changed his food from a very nutritious holistic cat food to a limited ingredient food. The diarrhea stopped within a few days and hadn't returned...Saturday he was completely lethargic, hiding, uninterested in food, water, toys. He had a fever of 105. Vet gave him a shot to bring his fever down and prescribed Clavamox drops (which he is 2.5 days in to). He started drinking water but barely eating and has lost weight. He is doing better than he was but still no where near himself. Today he started to eat a little more. His stools are VERY gelatinous...like little stools in jello. When they dry, they are almost sparkly. I have spent a lot of money at the vet and still don't have an answer. Has anyone experienced something similar? I GREATLY appreciate your help...and so does Presley.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the diarrhea cleared up with the limited ingredient food and only returned after starting the clavamox, then I would blame the Clavamox. It's known for causing digestive upset, diarrhea, and if that gets bad enough - then anorexia too.

Maybe I misunderstood...but that's what it sounds like to me. From what you said, I don't think the episode with the fever was related to the original problem.

What was the time frame between the new food clearing up the diarrhea and the onset of the issues with the fever?

I hope Presley feels better soon.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

If the diarrhea cleared up with the limited ingredient food and only returned after starting the clavamox, then I would blame the Clavamox. It's known for causing digestive upset, diarrhea, and if that gets bad enough - then anorexia too.
Clavomox caused Cindy to have diarrhea, she couldn't even make it to the litter box. It also caused her not to eat and to be very lethargic. I stopped giving it to her after 2 doses and it all cleared up. The vet changed it to some other kind of antibiotic pill, and that worked much better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

simone's mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We started the Clavamox BECAUSE of the diarrhea. The vet thought the fever was caused by an infection. Now, he has started pooping outside of the litter box...doesn't that mean he's sick? Thanks for the help.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, I misunderstood. I thought the diarrhea had temporarily disappeared with the new food. I'm curious what the limited ingredient food is? Does it have grains in it? Some cats have issues with grains and get diarrhea from eating them. I would consider trying a grain-free food if you haven't already.

Clavamox usually causes runny stools. It's typically given for upper respiratory infections. And, yes - pooping outside of the box typically indicates illness. In Presley's case, I wouldn't doubt it. I hope he feels better soon. I think I would tell the vet what's going on and talk about switching the antibiotic.

To my knowledge, the usual choice of antibiotic for diarrhea related issues is Flagyl. EDIT - sorry I see that he was already on that. I think I would do another course regardless, especially since it worked. It targets that specifically. There's some info about it here:

http://www.peteducation.com/article....articleid=1442

Do you know if his temperature is normal now? I would agree that the fever is probably related to an infection. Considering that, I don't know if another, additional antibiotic would be needed if you tried the Flagyl or not. Was there any sign of a respiratory infection, sinus infection, anything? If not, the whole issue may be in his digestive system...in which case I think the Flagyl would be good. Did they run the stool test(s) again?