Banana??

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How bad is a piece of banana for a cat to nibble on? My apartment is extremely hot with no a/c and I was eating chunks of frozen bananas. The one kitten came who was sitting on my lap went over and started licking the banana. It was all mushy like baby food and cold... so can this be a little treat? Or are bananas a no-no?

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm I don't think it's a problem but I'll be interested to hear the other replies. From what I've seen, my cats react to banana like it smells awful. Pumpkin squints her eyes when she smells it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since some holistic foods have it in there ... I am figuring a little is not harmful

miyu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yeah I think it would be ok, is your cat craving banana?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
not craving and I would not give them a ton, I just thought it was interesting that he enjoyed it so much!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gracie enjoys a few nibbles of banana now and then. Because of her affinity for other fruits and veggies (ie peaches, grapes - licking only, lettuce) I asked my vet a while back and she said a little bit is fine.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shouldn't hurt if they want to eat it. I know dogs love mashed banana and peanut butter. Charlie likes peanut butter too - haven't offered him banana as of yet.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eilcon

Gracie enjoys a few nibbles of banana now and then. Because of her affinity for other fruits and veggies (ie peaches, grapes - licking only, lettuce) I asked my vet a while back and she said a little bit is fine.
I've heard that grapes are toxic for cats and dogs.

kisabre

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Misty is correct. Elicon you should get your cats' checked out. Grapes have an unknown toxic that causes kidney damage in cats and dogs.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep I know, no grapes for them! My dog got a hold of one once and he used to ear anything, but he spit that grape right back out like he know he isn't supposed to eat them!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow. Thanks for the warning on the grapes. guys. I had no idea. It's been a long time since Gracie's touched a grape and even then it was only licking it a bit before I stopped her.She would much rather have lettuce. She's eight-years-old and has never had any medical issues whatsoever. Actually, she's due for her annual check up in August and we'll need to get a blood panel done since she's at the age now when every cat should have one.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eilcon

Actually, she's due for her annual check up in August and we'll need to get a blood panel done since she's at the age now when every cat should have one.
oh crap my 8 year old himalayan is about due for his panel too...

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is funny your cat likes banana. Mine likes anything too, she even will eat raw carrot and salad leaf pieces ( I don't feed them to her, but she has snuck some salad -among other things - before when a peice dropped or it is left unattended).