Renji's Problem

kibasgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently bought my newest addition to the family, Renji, an adorable ragdoll kitten. He's still adjusting to the house, because my home is quite larger and there aren't any other cats around. Anyway, he has a problem... ~

He's scared of us, and unless we get down to his level, he usually backs off. I don't want it to be that way. Any advice for me? ~

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try inticing him with a string toy or laser light to play. If you've just gotten him very recently, he's just overwhelmed with things - he'll be fine in a short time. Some kittens may not have had a lot of experience with "strangers" during the first few months before they are adopted.

That's why its good to keep the kittens around for 10-12 weeks so they can meet new people, cats, dogs, etc. and be better adjusted when they leave.

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kibasgirl

I recently bought my newest addition to the family, Renji, an adorable ragdoll kitten. He's still adjusting to the house, because my home is quite larger and there aren't any other cats around. Anyway, he has a problem... ~

He's scared of us, and unless we get down to his level, he usually backs off. I don't want it to be that way. Any advice for me? ~
Welcome and welcome to your newest addition, Renji. A very unique name.
My suggestion would be to let him get used to one room of your house first, such as your bedroom, where he can begin to bond with you. As previously mentioned, getting him playing and interacting with you would be a great way to hopefully see him become more curious. When he comes out to play give him praise, treats, love, and give him time. Sometimes kittens just take right to their new home and sometimes it takes a little longer. Once he gets used to your bedroom, let him explore a bit more, and since you mention a larger home, you may want to place multiple litter boxes, and slowly give him full access to the home, so it can be a slower transitioning time for him. If you are seeing him bond with you while you are down on his level, I would fully expect him to learn trust in the weeks to come when he is approached, and if he can associate your arrival with a treat, it may happen a bit faster.
Best of luck. What color and pattern Ragdoll is Renji. Toulouse in our signature is our 7 year old Seal mitted Ragdoll.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He sounds like a little doll. Please be sure to share lots of pics with us over in the fur pictures!

As some others have said, having access to the entire house is probably too much for him. Try confining him to one or two rooms with his food, litter box and toys.

Come into the room, but don't just go for him. Sit down, do something quiet (read a book, play with a toy gently, bring in a laptop). Bring some treats or a little dry kibble with you and place them on the floor near you. Cats hate to be ignored, and in "cat speak" it's far more polite to be quiet and look away. They don't like to be stared at. Make some "blinky" motions at him when you do look at him. Chances are sooner than later curiosity will get the better of him and he'll start to get interested in you.

Make sure he associates you with good things (like the treats) and before you know it he won't leave you alone
Kittens need a lot of play and stimulation, so make sure there are lots of toys if there are no other cats to amuse him. Get some that are interactive, like a "kitten mitten".

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Every one of the above responses contain excellent advice for your new addition! I love that name, so unique!

Members have already mentioned some of these, but this is just what I would do myself in your situation. I would confine Renji to one room, preferrably your bedroom; because it has your scent and this will become a familiar thing to him, a comforting thing, and before you know it, he'll be seeking you out for comfort! Put food, water, and a litterbox in your bedroom along with some toys. That's another thing; kittens have lots of energy and need lots of stimulation! It is preferrable to have an older cat along with a kitten, but of course not completely neccessary. But if you don't, you need to spend an extra alot of time with Renji, playing! Foil and paper wads, yarn, cardboard boxes, stuffed animals, flashlights all are great toys you can find in your own home. Spend alot of bonding time with Renji; pet him, brush him, sit by him when he eats, and play with him until he gets tired, then put him in your lap so he'll sleep by/with you, this is also a good bonding method. Once Renji is seemingly comfortable with you, try confining him to two rooms. Gradually open up the spaces and show him new areas of your house. Remember to spend about 2 hours a day with Renji even once he is comfortable in the house, playing and bonding with him. You also said that if you get down to his level, he is more likely to come to you. Well, think like him! What if you were a shy, little kitten, a tiny thing taken away from everything comfortable and everything he knows,a nd all of a sudden launched into a new life! New smells, sights, textures, sounds, there are even PEOPLE! It's very intimidating... Just be patient with Renji, he'll come around. Good luck and give him a kiss on the nose for me!