TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Questions for the vet about Ferris - advice, please?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Questions for the vet about Ferris - advice, please?

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
The vet has said that they will give him his annual three months early so we don't have to do another visit this fall, and spare the boy a little trauma.

I want him to be checked for kidney damage due to his having had some of the tainted foods last January, but I'm wondering what else I should ask that they do.

He just turned 1, although the date is unknown, we assume his birthday was May 31st.

Is there anything else I should ask the doc to test for?
post #2 of 12
Well this may sound weird but when Soph and Sev had their last appts I had them both get x-rays of their chest/body...because then we will have a baseline if there is ever an issue, Joey had one when he had crystals in 2005 and that's how they knew his kidneys were definitely a different size recently when we had the cancer scare.
post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella713 View Post
Well this may sound weird but when Soph and Sev had their last appts I had them both get x-rays of their chest/body...because then we will have a baseline if there is ever an issue, Joey had one when he had crystals in 2005 and that's how they knew his kidneys were definitely a different size recently when we had the cancer scare.
How much did that run you? It's a good idea!
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingersMom View Post
How much did that run you? It's a good idea!
At my Vet it's $50 for the x-ray and $10 for an added view
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella713 View Post
At my Vet it's $50 for the x-ray and $10 for an added view
That's a good price for xrays! It costs me $40 per view, regardless...and that sounded very good compared to other prices I had heard.
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by beandip View Post
That's a good price for xrays! It costs me $40 per view, regardless...and that sounded very good compared to other prices I had heard.
I believe our vet is very reasonable if not on the cheaper side than most vets
post #7 of 12
A basic blood panel( should have been run PRIOR to sedation) ... to include kindey, liver, thyroid ,cbc/ chem.. this would cover any recall stuff ( note my vet was only doing the recall panels on cats with symtoms)

check the teeth ensure they are all in( should be but some never get all of them) , check for tarter

have them clip his nails

I would ask for respiration rate and heart rate ( good base for later)

X ray s if the blood work showed something , otherwise why subject him to more radiation than needed( by me it ranges 35 to 65 per film )
post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
A basic blood panel( should have been run PRIOR to sedation) ... to include kindey, liver, thyroid ,cbc/ chem.. this would cover any recall stuff ( note my vet was only doing the recall panels on cats with symtoms)

check the teeth ensure they are all in( should be but some never get all of them) , check for tarter

have them clip his nails

I would ask for respiration rate and heart rate ( good base for later)

X ray s if the blood work showed something , otherwise why subject him to more radiation than needed( by me it ranges 35 to 65 per film )
OK, I'll ask for the full blood panel to be run BEFORE they sedate him. His teeth are all good (I've looked) and I already requested a total nail clipping.

However, given that he will be in full-blown panic when I take him in, I don't think that getting a heart rate and/or respiration rate will make any sense - he'll be way up on the charts due to being highly stressed.

Thanks for the tips!
post #9 of 12
I'm just curious, what is he being sedated for? Unless I missed something in the thread, if it's just a check up, why would they sedate?
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingersMom View Post
OK, I'll ask for the full blood panel to be run BEFORE they sedate him. His teeth are all good (I've looked) and I already requested a total nail clipping.

However, given that he will be in full-blown panic when I take him in, I don't think that getting a heart rate and/or respiration rate will make any sense - he'll be way up on the charts due to being highly stressed.

Thanks for the tips!
Betsy I also have them run the blood panel...last month the vet said you don't need to run it on Sophia because it's only been 8 months since the last time and I said do it anyway, and there was a difference in Sophia's kidney levels, and I had to take her back in for a urine test...ended up everything was okay but it's worth it,(I do have to take her back in 6 months to check it again)... because they age so fast something can show up so quickly. And with the X-rays...Bella had an x-ray in September of 05 because her liver level was high, also an ultra sound...Her lungs were fine on that x-ray and ultra sound...By April of 06 she had HUGE spots on her lungs..that's how quick something can happen
post #11 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
I'm just curious, what is he being sedated for? Unless I missed something in the thread, if it's just a check up, why would they sedate?
He is going in for a lion cut, as he is a semi-feral that REFUSES to allow me to groom his belly fur and as a result has got a few bad matts under his legs.

I requested that the vet give him his annual while he is there for the lion cut to prevent further trauma for him, as he has serious panic issues over being crated.

He has to be sedated due to his panic and to prevent him from harming himself or the vet and the techs that are trying to help him.
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingersMom View Post
He is going in for a lion cut, as he is a semi-feral that REFUSES to allow me to groom his belly fur and as a result has got a few bad matts under his legs.

I requested that the vet give him his annual while he is there for the lion cut to prevent further trauma for him, as he has serious panic issues over being crated.

He has to be sedated due to his panic and to prevent him from harming himself or the vet and the techs that are trying to help him.
Ah, thanks, I see. That makes sense to get it all done at once. Poor little guy.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Questions for the vet about Ferris - advice, please?