I'm embarassed to admit....

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had to call my mom to help me pick out steak for shish kabobs.

Yet, I stood & read every label on every can of Fancy Feast to find ones that had no by-products!

I think I need to learn more "human food" skills & less cat/dog food ones!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I get completely confused with all the different sorts of meats as well, I never know what I'm supposed to use. I end up just asking one of the butchers

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I call my mom ALL the time for cooking advice. I start out with "I have a cooking question." She is always happy to help. I often think to myself that one day I will not be able to call and ask her anymore, and that makes me sad. What I have done, is made a cookbook with all her and my grandma's recipes in it that I love, so I'll always know how to make stuff they made (even if it will never be quite as good as theirs). Then I can pass it on to my kids.
PS. I use stew meat for my shish kabobs. I think it's easier to chew, is in small pieces and doesn't take long to cook.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whenever we make kabobs, we just get a package of the stew meat - its cut up for you in perfect size for the stick. Add cherry tomatoes, whole mushrooms, red/green peppers, chunk of onion, and some pineapple an you have a great meal.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by menagerie mama

PS. I use stew meat for my shish kabobs. I think it's easier to chew, is in small pieces and doesn't take long to cook.
Thats what I've always used too, its already cut up!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got some mock tender steak. I dunno. I never realized that there was some that costs $5+ bucks a pound!

I think I really need to shop for myself & the family more....I'll never make it on my own at this rate!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as you don't have to ask "where is the pepper?" you'll be ok..........I'm serious - our one boy moved out on his own. Went grocery shopping and had to call us up and ask where in the heck was the pepper kept in the store...I did my best to refrain from laughing outloud when I answered him.....

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nat

Dont feel bad.... I do the cooking and the buying yet when out still have to ask umm how do I like my steak???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not so embarassed anymore! You should've seen the lady standing next to me when I had to call mom at work to ask her, though!

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Nat

Dont feel bad.... I do the cooking and the buying yet when out still have to ask umm how do I like my steak???
OMG that is so funny, I do the same thing!!

Mom never misses a beat and just says "medium." We like it the same way but have found some places make it TOO rare, like they just ran it through a warm room before serving it. Medium is usually perfect, with just a little pink like I like it. I think now I pretty much remember but for a long time I had to ask her. LOL

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Totally not something to be embarassed about!! As everyone has said, we all do it sometimes!

I find myself calling my grandfather or mom for cooking questions even in the middle of already making a meal

We all learn something new everyday! Now I know what to use for shish kabob!!! BF should thank you guys

kibasgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm lost when it comes to meat, too, but the rest of my family seems to know a thing or to. ~ Kiba