Saved a little baby bird!!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww right before i left work today we had the sweetest little baby swallow brought in by this nice family. They said that they saw it stuck on a tree with what looked to be a broken leg. It had gotten part of a plastic bag and fish line stuck all around it! UHHHHHHH when are people going to learn to recycle and pick up their trash!
After working about 10 minutes on it (i worked slow because it was soo fragil) my coworker and i were able to get the fishing line and plasic bag bits off of the little bird
The poor dear though- it has a broken leg, missing feathers, and bald areas from where the fishing line and plastic sac rubbed it raw
My boss took it home with her for the night to try and feed it- hopefully when it heals up we will be able to release it
It was such a sweet baby bird too!! She said it was a little baby swallow- and from the looks of it- right around the age it would normally leave the nest. I'm soo happy we were able to save it!

Oh yea- and don't forget to recycle and properly dispose of your trash!! It saves wildlife!!!

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh that's so sad
I hate to hear of an Animal/Bird getting hurt from people's negligence, bless it's little heart
So glad the family brought it in and you and your co-worker were able to save it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

Oh that's so sad
I hate to hear of an Animal/Bird getting hurt from people's negligence, bless it's little heart
So glad the family brought it in and you and your co-worker were able to save it
the family that brought him in recently adopted a dog from us and are soo nice- they said it was dangling from a tree branch upside down when they found it
(i'm wondering if maybe the mommy bird made the nest out of those materials or if some mean kid did that to it. I'm just glad we were able to save it for now and that it at least has a chance

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks

Way to go Nikki!! And all of you that saved him!
Poor little guy....
my hat goes off to my boss for taking the little dear home to care for it. (i told her he might be better going home with her because birds aren't my best thing- but i'm still learning
only birds i've ever had were chickens and roosters on our old farm, and parakeets when i was little - right now i'm planning on picking up supplies/etc to get a foster kit ready together for ducklings as well- been reading up on all that because it seems like we've had a ton of ducklings in and out this year- so i'm going to be the primary foster mom for them when we get more in
Swallows i know absolutely nothing about though- just basics- so that little love is better off with my boss
She'll have him/her on the mend in no time i hope!!!
He's such a cutie pie-and oh my- a sassy little thing too
it didn't want me messing with it at all when we were trying to cut the fishing line off