emeralds

sherral46

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
there is the emeralds I got on e-bay ,I tumbled them,there was a bunch of little ones,I only keeped the bigger ones.I am thinking about getting another bag.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Emeralds come in all shades of green. The stones you see cut and in the stores are higher quality. You can also tumble (as she did) lower-quality stones to see what they look like and maybe use them later on in something. But don't be fooled by the simulated stones (made in a lab under special conditions). Real emeralds are rarely without cracks and inclusions visible to the naked eye. Although, I do have a nice stone with just one inclusion... it's a gorgeous bright grass green, square emerald cut, but it had a chip.
That's why it was cheap.

I've seen emeralds so green they look black, mint green, grass green...

I love to tumble stones... I used to buy loose lots of uncut and unpolished stones, too! But my tumbler finally gave out... I had it going nearly all the time!
Good thing those lots were cheap, because I never got anything out of them to be worth setting in anything, although they are fun to look at.

Have you tried the sapphire and ruby lots too, sherral? That's a pretty decent set of stones you got there... how many carats was the whole lot?

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
http://www.amfed.org/efmls/clubs.htm#Virginia

Here is a list of clubs in Virginia. If there is one near you they might help you evaluate your stones.

We get visitors to our club asking about the crystals and items they find on trips or through deals like yours. I try to be tactful in saying that most of what is there will not yield anything like you see in the stores. Some might tumble or cut into a small cabochon but are not facet worthy. They can make some interesting jewelry using bell caps or up eyes with epoxy.

If you do find someone, I hope they are tactful as well. (Not like a couple of our members who will say it was junk.
)

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, at the www.amfed.org site you can find links to the federations that cover the rest of the US and club listings.

Most clubs do not have a shop like ours. We are rather fortunate.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

http://www.amfed.org/efmls/clubs.htm#Virginia

Here is a list of clubs in Virginia. If there is one near you they might help you evaluate your stones.

We get visitors to our club asking about the crystals and items they find on trips or through deals like yours. I try to be tactful in saying that most of what is there will not yield anything like you see in the stores. Some might tumble or cut into a small cabochon but are not facet worthy. They can make some interesting jewelry using bell caps or up eyes with epoxy.

If you do find someone, I hope they are tactful as well. (Not like a couple of our members who will say it was junk.
)
I hope I wasn't one of those members!
I think they're very cool, I really do! I love rocks... it was my first hobby, and my favorite as a child. I'd collect rocks from the driveway, creek, whatever... please tell me I'm not the only one. Did anyone else do that?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are not the only one

As a kid I used to love the summertime, we'd go camping all over the western US and my stepdad and I would go rock hounding all over.
We always looked forward to coming home and tumbling our finds.

Don't think we ever picked up any precious stones, but lots of semi-precious.
Agates, jasper, onyx, tiger eye, stuff like that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sherral46

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Godiva

Emeralds come in all shades of green. The stones you see cut and in the stores are higher quality. You can also tumble (as she did) lower-quality stones to see what they look like and maybe use them later on in something. But don't be fooled by the simulated stones (made in a lab under special conditions). Real emeralds are rarely without cracks and inclusions visible to the naked eye. Although, I do have a nice stone with just one inclusion... it's a gorgeous bright grass green, square emerald cut, but it had a chip.
That's why it was cheap.

I've seen emeralds so green they look black, mint green, grass green...

I love to tumble stones... I used to buy loose lots of uncut and unpolished stones, too! But my tumbler finally gave out... I had it going nearly all the time!
Good thing those lots were cheap, because I never got anything out of them to be worth setting in anything, although they are fun to look at.

Have you tried the sapphire and ruby lots too, sherral? That's a pretty decent set of stones you got there... how many carats was the whole lot?
Not yet I'd love to.I don't remember now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sherral46

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

To help clear up some of the confusion, near the bottom of this page are some tumbled emeralds. The remainder of the page shows emeralds in other phases.
http://www.davesdowntoearthrockshop.com/emerald.htm

sherral46, they are lovely stones
Thank you,I need to get a new tumbler Mine died.it was only a cheap one from walmart
.I will post a picture of the rocks I tumbled ,with it. (later) there is some pretty ones.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can find emeralds, rubies and sapphires, garnets - and lots more in North Carolina! There are several mines that have buckets of earth you buy and sort through. Most mines will "salt" the buckets so people will find something nice, but some don't. These are more fun.

There's a place (or two) in Montana you can buy sapphire gravel to sort through. Mom bought some and found 2 stones that could be faceted into 4mm stones.