Yellow, frothy vomit

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor Lily just vomited twice
It was kind of frothy, fairly bright yellow, and fairly projectile as well. The fur was all up on her back and she looked pretty freaked out.

There was no food or fur in it, so I have no idea what caused it. Our cats never vomit - I could probably count on one hand the number of times the cats have vomited between them since I've had them, and any time they've vomited, there's been food in there and has been right after they've eaten.

The only thing Lily would have eaten in the last 24 hours is dry food. Smudge is my scavenger that will eat anything on the floor, but Lily just sticks to her kitty food.

I'm going to just keep an eye on her and make sure she doesn't seem lethargic, or constipated, and is peeing fine.

If anyone thinks that uncharacteristic vomiting that has no obvious cause means I should take her to a vet immediately though, please let me know!

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine have done this before and that's as far as it went...hopefully the same goes for Lily. Although one time Sev did it and then a while later he threw up some plastic he ate
I would just watch her as long as she's playing and acting normal she should be fine

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That happened to Chay once before...I believe the vet couldn't find anything actually wrong with him and figured it was possibly an upset stomach due to hairballs. She just gave me laxatone for him to use, and some anti-nausea medication for a little while.

I think this might also have been the one time I gave him Heartguard, which was what I thought might be the problem. Any new medications or anything lately?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sandtigress

That happened to Chay once before...I believe the vet couldn't find anything actually wrong with him and figured it was possibly an upset stomach due to hairballs. She just gave me laxatone for him to use, and some anti-nausea medication for a little while.

I think this might also have been the one time I gave him Heartguard, which was what I thought might be the problem. Any new medications or anything lately?
No new medication, no new food, nothing different.

She's currently knocked my highlighter off the table and is attacking it (yes it has the lid on) and has just been rubbing against my legs, so I'm going to assume it's a one off. Poor thing just looked so scared...

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Precious threw that frothy bright yellow (but clear if that makes sense) liquid up one day and I freaked because I thought it was from her lungs (she has some other issues there). I called the vet and she told me it was stomach "juice" (acid). It never happened again.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sounds like bile, so she had a empty tummy. Heat and hairballs can cause upset tummies enough to be sick. poor thing!!! Glad shes ok

L

larks

At one point all of our cats have done this once at least. Seems to be as others suggested just a fluke or hair ball trying to come out.