Just wanted to say hello...

tnkittymom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just stumbled across this forum and it looked like a great place, so I decided to stay!
Anyway, I'm a stay-at-home mom. I've shared my life with cats for as long as I can remember, up until about 2yrs ago. My husband and I, sadly, lost a cat that had been a part of my family for 10yrs. She had contracted heartworms (we always used preventative for our dogs but never the cats), even though she had lived indoors from the time we got her at 2yrs old. My vet told me that he had never even recommended HW preventive to cat owners, because it's so rare around here. Sadly, she contracted them and we lost her to them. After her, we didn't get another cat, but we were starting to really miss having one in our lives. Of course, I will never go without the HW protection again.

Well, we had been thinking about a particular cat from our local shelter. A friend of mine works for them, and she has been fostering this girl for the past few months. She thought that she would be an excellent match for us, so she finally talked me into visiting with her. I had been putting it off until I knew more about her personality so that her looks wouldn't keep me from choosing a good match. After I had decided that she sounded perfect, my husband and I went to see her, and, needless to say, I fell in love with her. I'm not sure what color you would describe her as. She's diluted, and like a calico on her head, but a tortie on her back. She has a lot of white (maybe a diluted tortie and white?), so I'll let you decide when it will allow me to show her picture. Her name is Reyah. Her estimated age is around 1-3yrs. She came into the shelter with a long haired diluted tortie (they're related, but not sure how) and within 10 days of one another, both girls delivered kittens. Anyway, Reyah's kittens didn't survive and the other one didn't produce enough milk, so Reyah raised them.

Well, we're, also, bottle-feeding an orphaned kitten. My friend called me and asked if I would bottle-feed this one since I've done it before and I'm home all of the time. We're estimating her to be about 3wks old. She's solid gray and fluffy. She seems to be doing well. Let's just hope that she survives.

Anyway, it's good to be here. I hope to learn a lot from you all and maybe be able to contribute some as well. Thanks!

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there
we're so happy to get the chance to welcome you and your adorable fur-family to TCS. I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay with us - we're one great big family and you'll find loads of friends here. If I can help at all while you're finding your way around TCS just click on my username and send me a Personal Message - I'll do what I can to answer your questions

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hola y bienvenido a TCS, ...Catulina
y Milky
te saludan!
!........

(Translate: Hi and Welcome to TCS, Catulina and Milky say hello to you!!!...
)

See you on the forums!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnkittymom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi! Thank you all so much for such a nice welcome. I'm sure I'll really enjoy becoming a part of this forum.

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello & welcome to TCS. Look forward to hearing more about your 2 kitties. I'm sure the baby will survive. My 9 m/o kitten, Blossom, was found dumped by my son when she was 3 w/o also. Now she is the light of my life, totally spoilt & a real wild thing.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and a warm welcome to you !

Reyah sounds such a special lady
and I am really looking froward to seeing her photos

Its great here, theres always lots to do, see and learn
it can become a bit of an addiction, but don't worry you are among good friends

Glad you dropped by to join us - enjoy the forums !

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNKittyMom

I just stumbled across this forum and it looked like a great place, so I decided to stay!
So glad that you stumbled!
And so glad that you decided to help a cat in the shelter. Makes you feel real good, doesn't it? I have a feeling you are going to be very happy with your new addition. Both your new additions, your kitty and TCS!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnkittymom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

So glad that you stumbled!
And so glad that you decided to help a cat in the shelter. Makes you feel real good, doesn't it? I have a feeling you are going to be very happy with your new addition. Both your new additions, your kitty and TCS!
LOL! Me too! At least I didn't stumble too hard and get hurt, right?

It really does. I helped with several of the rescues for several years, but stopped fostering around the time that I found out that we were having a baby. Shelter animals and rescues always seem to be so much more appreciative, because they know what it's like to be in a bad environment or bounced around. They generally haven't lived a life of luxury, unless they were surrendered due to their owner passing away or going into a nursing home. We always preferred to help those that needed the most help, like the medically challenged, behaviorally challenged, etc. I'll never forget the time that my vet was teasing me. He asked me if I purposely went out and found the sickest animals that I possibly could to bring in. I just told him that those were the ones that needed me the most.
This is why when we decided that we were ready for a cat again, we chose to go through the shelter. Even though, Reyah had been fortunate enough to not be in a cage at the shelter (since my friend was fostering her), she still needed a home and we knew more about her than the others at the shelter.

The kitten is still doing ok. We're not planning to keep her, though. We're just helping out. If we decided to take in another cat, we would prefer to help an older kitten or adult, since they have a harder time getting adopted.

Oops...here I am rambling on. Sorry about that.
I could talk for hours when it comes to our furbabies.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is such a great site, everyone here is so nice
And u learn lots

Sending good vibes ur guys way for the lil kitten
I am sure they will be fine

Well see u on the forums

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi & welcome to TCS!
If you have any questions, please feel free to click on my username and send me a private message. I'll be happy to help.