Buying a new computer!

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well... we are going to be buying a laptop (or 2 or 3!) and also a desktop. We mainly want to use the laptop for when we are out and about, etc. The desktop will sit at home to put all information on, and to save it on there. We want a cheap, good working laptop. Plus, a cheap, good working desktop! Any suggestions?

BTW: The reason why we are buying 2-4 computers is because our roommate has OVER 1 million baseball cards that we are going to start selling via the Internet. So, the computers would really only be used for memory, and the Internet! We would keep all of the information saved on the desktop. So, we will definitely need something reliable!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mybabyphx

Well... we are going to be buying a laptop (or 2 or 3!) and also a desktop. We mainly want to use the laptop for when we are out and about, etc. The desktop will sit at home to put all information on, and to save it on there. We want a cheap, good working laptop. Plus, a cheap, good working desktop! Any suggestions?

BTW: The reason why we are buying 2-4 computers is because our roommate has OVER 1 million baseball cards that we are going to start selling via the Internet. So, the computers would really only be used for memory, and the Internet! We would keep all of the information saved on the desktop. So, we will definitely need something reliable!
If it is just storage that is the problem why not just buy external storage rather than buy multiple computers?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it's quite complicated- and I'm sure you don't want to hear the long story. We have 3 people and we'll be using the computers sort of as a "business"- selling TONS of baseball cards! We need 2 or 3 laptops that can leave the house with us to where the baseball cards are kept at, to put info into the computer. Then we will have a desktop back at the house/office that we do most of the work on, and keep the info on! Right now, we don't even have one computer. I go on TCS from work, not home. We just need something affordable, and good performance!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it probably does, but it's actually quite complicated. The cards will be in a storage unit as there are 1-5 million baseball cards. We will need to make frequent trips to the storage unit where they stay and put them in the computer,etc. We will also be making business trips to California, etc to talk to potential buyers and would need to show him our list, pictures, etc. There are way too many cards to drag around the US with me. We would like for everyone to have our own lap top, but financially that is going to have to wait. We do want to start out with one laptop and move up from there. Any suggestions?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just don't buy a Dell.... you can read my horror stories in this thread:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=130590

Check out your local computer stores or Best Buy. You can get a pretty decent laptop for a reasonable price.

Just know that laptops are:

1. Expensive to fix
2. Not easily upgraded
3. Don't usually last as long as a desktop
4. Expensive when you compare the price to a desktop computer. You get more bang for your buck with a desktop (IE: larger hard drive, more memory, faster processor etc), than you will on a laptop that you paid more for.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

1. Expensive to fix
2. Not easily upgraded
4. Expensive when you compare the price to a desktop computer. You get more bang for your buck with a desktop (IE: larger hard drive, more memory, faster processor etc), than you will on a laptop that you paid more for.
True, but they're very convenient, and don't take up much space (I have one tucked into the corner of the living room for Internet use). Almost all of the teachers at my school have them, and would rather cart them back and forth than to use the school computers (which are networked), and you'd be surprised how many of the students take notes, etc., in class using laptops.

They're also quite nice for watching DVDs while underway, on vacation, or out in the backyard!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with both jcat and Natalie_ca BUT I recommend if you are getting a laptop, don't just go for whatever is cheapest, make sure it has what you want / need because they are not as easy to upgrade as a desktop

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Just don't buy a Dell.... you can read my horror stories in this thread:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=130590

Check out your local computer stores or Best Buy. You can get a pretty decent laptop for a reasonable price.

1. Expensive to fix
2. Not easily upgraded

I agree about the Dell thing..... I seriously HATE my Dell Laptop and TRYING to deal with the Dell 800 numbers. I have a million horror stories about Dell as well. If they had a company that was based in the US, were able to help without looking it up on their own computers, and were friendly it would be a different story. My BF has a Dell desk top and it works fine but if we ever want it fixed or have troubles we wouldn't even think about contacting Dell about it.