SOS....Don't want to OD

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all my wonderful, helpful friends.

Now I know what you all were saying about having "withdrawal" when the site is down for upgradge, etc. !!!

I had just posted and the whole thing did not go through...so...here we go again....hopefully.

Getting ready to send all fleas to flea heaven (or flea hell!
)

I had to order Borax online b/c I could not find it anywhere. It arrived today.

Now I am waiting for the Advantage from Dr. Foster&Smith.

A few of you wrote to me re: getting the over 55 pound dog Advantage and cutting it down for the cats. I had all of that saved on my computer, I thought, but now cannot find it.

I only know that I only have syringes that came with medications (like Clavamox) and they are only 3 cc's...with a little space left on bottom. So....if I use 4 cc's on the cats...it seems like REALLY a lot. I have not seen the size of the tubes the dog Advantage comes in yet.....but it still seems a whole syringe.

Hope this post in not too nebulous....my first one was more informative, but for those of you who told me about this....if you want to send me a personal message, I would be very grateful. The Advantage is suppose to be here tomorrow and I am very anxious to help my poor, miserable kitties get rid of these monsters.

Thanks again for all.

Toomany

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Double check this dosage please, but I think I remember it is a smaller dose than 4cc's. I think it is supposed to 4/10 of a cc or ml (cc=ml) or 0.4 ccs.

For a regular 3cc syringe, each of the black lines should equal 2/10 of a cc - so there would be 5 marks for each 1 cc.
I would check with your pharmacist though. He might just give you a 1 cc syringe or dropper for free.

Also, after using the syringe or dropper on the lfea treatment, please mark it so you will never, ever use it for anything else.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The dose for cats is weight dependant...if you give all your cats, regardless of size, .4 cc it may not be an effective dose.

Here is the dosing information my vet gave me (I always buy the for dogs over 55 lbs. Advantage)

For cats under 9 lbs. - give 0.4 ml, for cats over 9 lbs. give 0.8 ml.
(1 cc is eqivalent to 1 ml)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just went over to the pharmacist....he said he did not have a 1 cc..., or maybe he didn't want to give it to me.

I thought I was fairly intelligent....but apparently not....with all your help...why can I not figure out how much to put in... if...

0.4 ml, for cats over 9 lbs. give 0.8 ml.
(1 cc is eqivalent to 1 ml)

then does that mean that .4 mil is equal to 4 cc's?

Geeze I feel stupid!!!!

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay....since I seem to be in a "stupid stupor" here....does anyone out there have a 3 cc syringe that you get with cat meds....that they can look at it...and tell me exactly where to mark the .4 ml??

I promise I will go back to school and take math again if you guys get me through this!!!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oops I think I said .4 ml or 4cc - I should have said .4cc!

So 1 ml = 1 cc. So .4ml would mean .4cc - and yes .8ml or .8cc for a large cat.

Maybe the pharmacist had no idea why you'd need such a small amount. If you tell him you need to dispense .4ml of medication at a time to your cats, you'd hope he could figure out something to give you.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by toomany

Okay....since I seem to be in a "stupid stupor" here....does anyone out there have a 3 cc syringe that you get with cat meds....that they can look at it...and tell me exactly where to mark the .4 ml??

I promise I will go back to school and take math again if you guys get me through this!!!
Ok, the syringe I have is in measurements of 10 on one side (10/20/30/40/50 etc), and measurements of 5 on the other side (15/25/35/45 etc).

When we use it, we fill it up to the 40 mark. I know this doesn't help much, but you should be able to figure out what seems about right. We went to the shelter and they gave us the syringe and showed us where to fill it up to.

My DH is overseas with the camera, otherwise I'd photograph the syringe to show you what mine looks like

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by toomany

I am sorry if I was confusing...that was why I said that 1 cc is equivalent to 1 ml...they are the same essentially in this use.
The 3 cc syringe that I have is marked in 1/10th...so there are 4 marks then the 1/2 cc mark, 4 more than the 10th line is marked 1 cc etc.
So, for .4 cc/ml, I pull up to the mark that is just under the 1/2 cc mark.

Syringes vary with how they are marked, but a standard 3 cc syringe should be marked as I described. You'll be just fine, I know you can do this.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
TooMany, since the pharmacy wasn't very helpful, I have another idea. Go to the nearest fire station and ask to speak to an EMT. Explain what you are trying to do and ask them to show you the marks for 0.4 ml and for the 0.8 ml. The EMTs we have around here are wonderful.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go here http://www.scottishritechildrens.org...3ccsyringe.pdf and on page 2 is a clear diagram of what a 3 cc syringe looks like, showing the marks as I described.

Sorry, I tried to insert a link but got some odd pop-up and just could not get it to work.
hmm...well it seems to have make a link afterall. This is a pdf file, so you do need adobe acrobat's free reader to read the document.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of 4

TooMany, since the pharmacy wasn't very helpful, I have another idea. Go to the nearest fire station and ask to speak to an EMT. Explain what you are trying to do and ask them to show you the marks for 0.4 ml and for the 0.8 ml. The EMTs we have around here are wonderful.
And you get the added benefit of checking out the cute firemen

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

Go here http://www.scottishritechildrens.org...3ccsyringe.pdf and on page 2 is a clear diagram of what a 3 cc syringe looks like, showing the marks as I described.

Sorry, I tried to insert a link but got some odd pop-up and just could not get it to work.
hmm...well it seems to have make a link afterall. This is a pdf file, so you do need adobe acrobat's free reader to read the document.
Okay....I went on the link......saw the syringe...yes..that is what I have...and...I think I have it now! I only pull (suck) out a little under the 1/2 line...right? That looks more like it!!!

I couldn't imagine doing the 4 cc's...they all would have been dead!!!

Think I got it right this time? Thanks...and love!!!!!

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

You got it!
Oh...thank you so much.......I am praying the Advantage will arrive tomorrow, as promised..... my poor babies are really suffering.

The guy who delivered the Borax from UPS today told me that Jacksonville, FL here....is having one of the worst flea seasons ever!

Gratitude, and kisses from my kitties!!!!