Stoped by the police

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I completely admit it was my mistake I was speeding. I am 29 years old and have been driving since I was 16, I have never been stooped by the police, ever, for anything.
I was completely shocked. I was going 15 over the speed limit. I was completely distracted (Which isn't a good thing to admit while driving) Having in the past month lost my job and now the stress of moving along with my cousin's husband dieing all of a sudden I have had a lot to think about.
The police officer was very nice but I swear my heart was jumping out of my chest. Has anyone had that feeling that they were going to hyperventilate, thats what it was like.
On top of everything I didn't have my current insurance card with me and if I don't produce it within the next 3 days It will be a 65 dollar fine. On top of the 40 dollar fine for speeding. And needless to say I have no money because I haven't heard from the employment insurance people yet.

So that was my trauma for the day. Have you ever been pulled over by the police? if so what for?

p.s. I'm normally a very responsible driver

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I know that feeling!

I was stopped once in college, while going downhill- I had my cruise control on, and I guess I was going 5 miles over (60 in a 55, which is normal) and I guess while going downhill, I was going a little faster- and he stopped me

I started to tear up and freak out! I wanted to hyperventilate (like you said!) and he made me go sit in his car with him while he checked my cards

I was like OMG OMG... just seriously freaking out and shaking- I got a ticket for like $40... ever since then, I've been totally terrified of police

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was stopped once for not wearing my seatbelt. It was a couple years ago and I didn't have the seatbelt fastened because I was pulling out of one parking lot and into another one on the same block! He gave me a ticket anyways

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been stopped a few...maybe more
times for speeding...in my hometown they would just say oh Hi Helen, how's the family...be careful...but now in KY it's a different story...I got stopped 2 times since I moved here and got 1 ticket

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some years ago I got stopped doing 70 mph in a 40 mph zone (before we went metric of course). When the officer came to my car window, he asked me why I didn't slow down when I passed his car. I told him I did for a minute then checked my mirror and didn't see him following me so I sped up again. My girlfriend was in the passenger side trying to argue with him that I wasn't going that fast. I told her to be quiet, that I was going that fast. The officer checked out my license, insurance and such, came back to my car, handed the stuff back to me and told me because I was so honest he wasn't going to give me a ticket but to slow down.

cairo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Some years ago I got stopped doing 70 mph in a 40 mph zone (before we went metric of course). When the officer came to my car window, he asked me why I didn't slow down when I passed his car. I told him I did for a minute then checked my mirror and didn't see him following me so I sped up again. My girlfriend was in the passenger side trying to argue with him that I wasn't going that fast. I told her to be quiet, that I was going that fast. The officer checked out my license, insurance and such, came back to my car, handed the stuff back to me and told me because I was so honest he wasn't going to give me a ticket but to slow down.
I like that!

I've been pulled over more than 15 times, but I've only gotten 4 tickets and 2 of those were non-moving violations. Each and every time I get pulled over I freak out the same way you described (OP), and I often cry unitentionally. I don't know why but I just get so freaked out when I'm pulled over. My heart sinks and I can't control my emotions.

It's haven't had a ticket in awhile (knock on wood), but I drive a lot slower now. This is Northern Virginia after all. And wow, only $40 for a speeding ticket?! I usually could care less about the fine, it's the points that kill you, but I've never had a ticket less than $300. Damn Fairfax County!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think I just told this story the other day but I'll tell it again.

A couple of years ago DH and I were going on a trip with some other couples. DH was driving our friend's car, with our friends in it, and we were following another car. Well DH got pulled over for speeding. The car we were following noticed we'd been pulled over so he pulled over like 300' ahead of us. When the officer noticed the car he asked if we were following them (something like that). DH said yes....so he got a warning....our friends in the car ahead of us got the ticket!!

DH felt bad and offered to help pay for it but our friend wouldn't let him. I'll never forget that one!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just got a speeding ticket last month (my first in many years and only the second time I've been pulled over). The officer was very polite about the whole thing and I'm actually glad he stopped me. I was in a hurry, distracted and had no business going as fast as I was. I actually learned a valuable lesson from the whole experience, besides being more careful about my speed. The last thing the officer said to me was, "Please slow down." He was talking about speeding, but it could apply to my life in general too.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since Colin is a cop now- ALL of his friends think it's hysterical to pull me over all the time- (they know what my car looks like and get a big kick out of scaring me) it gets really annoying
It always scares me at first till i realize who it is then i just tell them to go bug Colin instead

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've only gotten one ticket in my life - for turning on a yellow light.

My recollection is that I was driving the speed limit, and hit the line of the intersection as the light turned yellow, making a left-hand turn. The cop was sitting on the median of the street I turned into, and pulled me over. She gave me a ticket for running a red light, though I'm sure I didn't and I don't know what else I could have done.

It would have cost just as much to contest the ticket as to pay it, so I just paid it and went to Defensive Driving to get it taken off my record. The instructer thought it would be fun to have everyone introduce themselves and their "crime" so around the room there was "Hi, I'm so and so, and I'm a speeder" "Hi, I'm so and so and I was speeding" and then there's me "Hi, I'm Pam, and I turned on a yellow light." The whole room groaned along with me.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was about 24, I was visiting my folks one evening, and a big family argument ensued. I ended up running out of the house in tears and taking off for home much too fast.

It was about 12:30 in the morning on a weeknight, and the streets were deserted. I drove like the proverbial bat outta hell, sobbing uncontrollably. About halfway home, I glimpsed a light in my rearview mirror and slowly, through the haze of tears, recognized it as a police car.

I pulled off into a parking lot, got out of the car, and turned to reach into the back seat for a box of Kleenex -- but I was suddenly blinded by a very bright light. I squinted and vaguely made out the shape of the open driver's door of the police car. At the same time, I heard someone yelling, but I couldn't understand the words at all.

All I knew was that the police were going to give me a speeding ticket, and my face was a mess, and I wanted the Kleenex so I could clean up. So I bent to reach into the back seat, and the yelling got louder. Finally, I understood it: "FREEZE!"

In my upset and confusion, I did not freeze, but stood back up and raised my hands to my eyes to try to see past the light. Only then did I realize that both cops were out of their car, crouching behind their doors with their guns trained on me.

And what was my reaction? Did I have the good sense to stop so much as breathing until they lowered their guns? Oh, noooooo, I shook my head and said, "Oh for pete's sake, I'm just getting some Kleenex," and I reached into the car again!

What saved me from being shot, I think, was probably the combination of my waiflike youthfulness, my pretty little blue gingham dress, and the fact that I had (unknowingly) been leading them on a chase for so long that they'd had plenty of time to ascertain that the car was not stolen, and that I was as pure as the driven snow... not so much as a parking ticket. So they pretty much knew I was not really the crazed desperado I'd been driving like.

Anyway... these days, when I hear of someone being shot because he failed to obey a police officer's command to freeze or drop it or whatever... I surely sympathize. In the confusion and emotion of the moment, it could so easily have happened to me!

preciousmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ONLY $40 for going 15 over????? I was going 17 over and got a $114 ticket!

I have been pulled over 6 or 7 times for speeding heh....only got out of one ticket, without a ticket and last year I was pulled over twice in 2 weeks...to the DAY, very strange. I got out of one of those because I talked to the prosecuting attorney and made a deal. Got it reduced and it's only listed as "expired tabs" otherwise my insurance would have gone up with 3 tickets on it! Dang Mustangs! (I have a '94 GT 5.0 Liter) It's hard not to go fast

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
$40??!?!? OMG that's ridiculous!!! The fines in Australia are so much worse! I just worked out 15 miles in km, and looked up the NSW police website - and for travelling the equivalent over the speed limit you'd have to pay $231 and you'd have 3 points taken off your license.

No wonder why everyone speeds here in the US - the fines are paltry! I'm amazed at how fast everyone goes over the speed limit over here. You get honked if you do the speed limit...

When I was younger I took speed signs to be an indication rather than the law, so never bothered too much about them. Until I got caught on a spot notorious for cops trying to book people. It's where a major freeway goes through a small town so drops from 100 km/h to 60km/h. And I was confused about the way since we'd taken the day off to head down to the snow, so I forgot it was a school day, and therefore it was 40 km/h.... So I was still slowing from 100 down to 60, and following the line of traffic (everyone was doing about the same), and I got picked out to get made an example of. I can't remember what speed I was doing, but I remember it was 30-45km over the speed limit.

I was so peeved because the time on the ticket was 8:01am and the school zone kicks in at 8am - so it was only 1 minute into school zone time, and I'd been driving conservatively while sooo many people had been overtaking me and driving like idiot.

I lost my license and had to pay something like a $500 fine. Not a nice way to start a long weekend at the snow...

I'm much more careful and have not had any sort of ticket in the last 5 years, although I'm finding being in the US I'm speeding more because "everyone else does".

Edit: oh and on long weekends and during holiday periods (Easter, xmas etc), the amount of points taken off your license is doubled. And that's for speeding, not wearing a seatbelt and also not wearing a helmet I believe. Kind of makes you REALLY careful about how you're driving!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My parents have been pulled over so many times in Australia, but i dont reccollect even once here in germany!

Mind you driving at 160 or 200km/hr is sometimes freaky!

I dont have my license but I will get it done once i return to Australia

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been pulled over for speeding a few times, but not in a long while. I got sick of paying fines!

Once, I got pulled over just for being in the wrong neighborhood. My husband and I used to live in a house in a not-so-nice area of town, and we were definitely in the minority. I was driving home from work and I got pulled over for an outed tail light (which I don't remember having, but anyway) and the officer asked me where I was from, where I was going, what I was doing there, if I was "looking for drugs"... maybe he was just trying to be nice and protective, but I was like, "I live here, you b!@#tard!" I didn't really say that, but I was thinking it.
I don't cry when I get pulled over, I just get a little annoyed when they are rude and on a power trip. I've met a few nice cops, but not very many... I'm not saying all cops are bad. Don't take me the wrong way!

Also, a cop once came to house and freaked the crap out of me. Our house (same house) was for sale, and a cop came up to the door and knocked. Being the neighborhood it was, I answered thinking he might be trying to be helpful and let me know something or ask something. It turns out he was just there to spy on us... he was peering over my shoulder, ask me if we owned the place, some bullcrap about how he was thinking of buying some houses there to rent out... but didn't want any information from us or the flyer. He was in uniform and it was midday. I got the hint early on and made sure I didn't open the door very far.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got pulled over one time. It was after school when I was in HS and I ran the stop sign behind the school. Lickily the cop (who was known for giving all the HS kids tickets) was feeling nice and didn't give me a ticket. But my dad did take my truck away for like a month! Had to ride big yellow for 3 hrs a day! Yuck!

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been pulled over MANY times.

Mostly for my car's color and tint of the glass. I get migraines, so i tinted the glass to make it more comfy for me, but cops dont see it that way. They see it as a young woman in a sports car looking for trouble
. One time i was on my way to my moms, who lives 90 minutes from my house. I got stopping on a major road. i wasnet doing but 5 miles over the limit, as was traffic.

The cop looked at my car, then me, and asked where i was going. Didnt tell me i did anything wrong. Just kept asking where i was headed and where i came from. It then dawned on me he thought i was trafficing drugs!!! i was like jsut going to my moms. then he said, "well i could give you a a ticket for this tint, and for the sticker on your back window, and for your tail lights not being stock, but i wont, cause i am a nice guy, you just keep it safe and have a nice day". I was like thanks, but thinking what an
!!!! and drove off. I have been pulled over that way like 5 times in 1 month, it was STUPID!!! i have a clean lisense, so i think thats why i dont get a ticket.

one other time i was driving my soon to be ex's truck for the first time. i got stuck behind one of those IDIOTS that do 50, then 45, then 60, and back and forth on a 55mph road. so i got sick of it, as did the guy in front of me, and we both passed the guy. sure when we passed him he gassed it, and i hit 85mph. well, coming the other way jsut my luck was a sheriff. he nabbed us both. Took my info ( was cute as hell tho,lol) asked where i was coming from, where was headed. i did tell him this wasent my truck, and was borrowing it,and was the first time i was driving it. he came back after a bit and said " well your lisense is clean, and you want to keep it that way, so you get that Faulty speedometer fixed, ya hear? gave me a tix for that, and walked away. Cost me $50, and no pts , hehe.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, $40 for 15 over?? Wow, that's a deal! The fines here aren't as bad as some others, but wow.

I've been pulled over more than a few times, but the only time I got a ticket was in a speed trap - 44 in a 35 and that ticket was $90!

EDIT and I think no proof of insurance gets you a really nasty fine here...I can't remember but I know it's hundreds, if not more. EEEK.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

I completely admit it was my mistake I was speeding. I am 29 years old and have been driving since I was 16, I have never been stooped by the police, ever, for anything.
I was completely shocked. I was going 15 over the speed limit. I was completely distracted (Which isn't a good thing to admit while driving) Having in the past month lost my job and now the stress of moving along with my cousin's husband dieing all of a sudden I have had a lot to think about.
The police officer was very nice but I swear my heart was jumping out of my chest. Has anyone had that feeling that they were going to hyperventilate, thats what it was like.
On top of everything I didn't have my current insurance card with me and if I don't produce it within the next 3 days It will be a 65 dollar fine. On top of the 40 dollar fine for speeding. And needless to say I have no money because I haven't heard from the employment insurance people yet.

So that was my trauma for the day. Have you ever been pulled over by the police? if so what for?

p.s. I'm normally a very responsible driver
Yikes - I am sorry you are having such a tough time. Good luck with the EI (I work for them) and there is a bit of a backlog so you claim may take a little while! PM me if you have any questions.

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last summer I was going 75 in a 65, on a highway, and got a $130 ticket- no prior offenses. Shesh, I wish I had gotten a $40 ticket!! That being said, I was totally freaked out, although I acted calm of course, as soon as he drove away I started crying. I was on my way to an interview for my current position and ended up being late.