For all who feed their cats canned food, read this.

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I notice many people saying there cats go by the texture of canned food alot and if they dont like the texture they wont eat the food.

I came up with a solution for the "loaf" style canned food.

1. Pour the canned food into the cats dish.
2. Add a small amount of warm water to the dish, enough to spread over the bottom of the bowl.
3. Stir the food and water together with a spoon until it looks like a stew.

You cat may like it now thats it's warm and moist. Plus if your cat hates chewing his food this is easier to digest being it's mashed and more liquified.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also do this if the can has been in the fridge (well half a can really). I use hot water so it heats the food up as I mix it up.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always "warmed" up the food from the fridge this way - put a little very hot water in the can - mix it all up and serve. They've never turned it down

whiskerynature

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We try this with our guys, esp. b/c we're trying to increase their water intake

They're very anti-loaf...bad sign since we're trying to eventually switch to NV raw medallions

Doc, our "gravy shark"
, will just lap up the juices & leave the meaty stuff behind
. They like flake & chunk in gravy...so many cans wasted...

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Oliver eats the Meow Mix market selects (see thread on that, haha, it's the only wet he'll eat) which is kind of chunky (not loaf) but he looooooooooves when I add extra water in it to make more "gravy" (In fact, he pretty much makes me do it any time I have a glass of water).... I usually do it after it's been in the fridge too, but he actually doesnt like his food warm, just room temperature or cold - I've tried microwaving or adding warm water and he turns his nose up.... God, he's particular!

G

ghostuser

I tried this awhile back, thinking it would be perfect for my toothless boy. But he turned his nose up at it, would not even touch it. He also won't eat food that has been microwaved. *shakes head at picky cats*

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by wishiwas

I tried this awhile back, thinking it would be perfect for my toothless boy. But he turned his nose up at it, would not even touch it. He also won't eat food that has been microwaved. *shakes head at picky cats*
Sounds like my toothless Twitch!
It doesn't work for any of my 6!

reggietee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Chole would rather it pieces of my grilled chicken breast that i've been having for dinner lately. I can't eat without her sitting in my fast waiting for me to break her off little pieces. I'm always like, "do I bother you when you're eating?"

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine like the loaf style, but I add a little water if it's a bit too thick. They won't eat it too watered down though, I use about a teaspoon (or less) of warm water in 1/2 can of food (3 oz). Mine won't eat it microwaved or warm either.