Geisha

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There has been a stray hanging around our house. She's a beautiful little calico who looks like a geisha girl.
She has an appointment for a spay, tests for fel lek & aids, and shots on Thursday. I would love to take her to our regular vet, but can't afford it, so she is going to a low-cost clinic who our vet recommends.

Please pray that her tests come out negative.

I'm kind of concerned about catching her and putting her in the carrier the night before - so that she won't eat before surgery. I don't want to lose the trust that we have built up. I guess I have to take the chance though.

For those of you who have been through this - any suggestions?

Thanks!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Dont wait for the last possible moment. Catch her when you can, so you dont risk to miss the appointment.
Besides if you take her in good time, YOU will be less stressed.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did go through this with Joey, and he didn't lose trust in me, if that's any comfort to you, and he's been with us now for over 3 years
I pray all her tests are negative

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Elliott was a stray that we have made an indoor cat.
I was also worried that catching him the day he was scheduled to be neutred and checked would cause him to no longer trust us.

His appointment was for Wednesday so I got him on Sunday night and just kept him in the bathroom away from the girls.

I don't know how that would work for you, because I don't know if you're going to make her an indoor cat or just let her continue to be an outside kitty.

Hope it helped a little.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone!
I'm glad that your cats still trust you Bella713 & Graciecat.
StefanZ, We plan on catching her the night before.

Our neighbor is out of town. I'm hoping that he will let us use his bathroom so that we can keep her in something larger than a carrier overnight. I'm waiting for a return email for the answer. Our apartment is less than 700 SF and only has 1 bathroom. I don't want to risk contact with Oliver & Tripod, especially since she hasn't had her shots yet.
Originally Posted by Graciecat

I don't know how that would work for you, because I don't know if you're going to make her an indoor cat or just let her continue to be an outside kitty.

Hope it helped a little.
Yes, it did - Thanks! As much as I would LOVE for her to be an indoor cat, there are several reasons why I probably won't.
1) Tripod does very well with Oliver, but since he has only 1 good foot out of 3, I don't think I should put him at risk of being attacked.
2) When I got Tripod I spent a LOT of time with Oliver trying to prevent him from being jealous. It took about 3 months before he accepted Tripod, but a year before he stopped being angry with me.
I promised him that we wouldn't get any more kitties.
3) The size of our apartment is really too small for 3 cats and 2 humans.
4) Since we've been feeding her, she doesn't seem to stray far. If I want to find her she usually comes after my DH or I "meow" for a little while.
On the other hand, I feel so bad having Oliver & Tripod inside and her not. At least after she has all her tests and shots I can change my mind if I need to.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

She sure is a cutie.
Thanks! I think I'm in love already.
This was NOT supossed to happen.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know the feeling.
We weren't "supposed" to have Annabelle and Elliott either, yet here the little devils are!
I do have to say that I don't regret it for a second.
I believe with all my heart that neither of them would be here now if we hadn't taken them in.
I snatched Annabelle out of the middle of a busy street and Elliott was bullied by the other strays, the last day he was outside he was running from one of them and came within an eyelash of being hit by a car.
That's when I knew he was coming in too.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our neighbor is out of town. I'm hoping that he will let us use his bathroom so that we can keep her in something larger than a carrier overnight. I'm waiting for a return email for the answer. Our apartment is less than 700 SF and only has 1 bathroom. I don't want to risk contact with Oliver & Tripod, especially since she hasn't had her shots yet.
Our neighbor emailed me back "Let that pretty little cat stay..." so we get to use his bathroom while he's away.

Thanks, Mousersdad!!!

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet's office just called to postpone the appt. I understand, but I really wanted to get this done ASAP. I can't bring her on Friday, so its postponed for a WEEK - next Thursday.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, today was supossed to be the day. I could just cry. My DH tried until 1:00 in the morning last night to lure her into the carrier. I really didn't think it would be that hard. She has gotten so trusting we can actually pick her up and rub her belly. Getting her into a carrier is a whole different story. I picked her up this morning. She was cuddly and calm. I got her 3/4 the way in the carrier and she turned into a different cat. She scratched my hand hard, screamed, and twisted violently. I just couldn't physically hold onto her long enough to get her all the way in.

I don't have a trap, but I'm sure I can borrow or rent one from somewere. The problem is that I'm a lot more likely to catch a raccoon or possom where I live. She's on to us now too. It will probably take some time (if at all) before she attempts to go in anything.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can grab her again try turning the carrier on end with the opening facing up and put her in butt first.
Also let the carrier sit out where she can see and investigate it.
That's what we have to do with our Annabelle.
When it's time for her check-up's I have to bring the carrier out and sit it in the living room at least three days before the appointment.

You might also try sitting the carrier down as normal and putting an open can of tuna or some warmed up deboned chicken inside.
When she goes in to eat shut the door behind her.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If you can grab her again try turning the carrier on end with the opening facing up and put her in butt first.
Also let the carrier sit out where she can see and investigate it.
That's what we have to do with our Annabelle.
When it's time for her check-up's I have to bring the carrier out and sit it in the living room at least three days before the appointment.

You might also try sitting the carrier down as normal and putting an open can of tuna or some warmed up deboned chicken inside.
When she goes in to eat shut the door behind her.
Those are great ideas.

We did have the carrier out for awhile, but not long enough.
I haven't tried chicken with her. The smell might do the trick! Oh, now I have some hope again!
If we can get her to go in on her own I will be estatic!

Otherwise, I hate to admit this, but I'm kinda "gun shy" now after being scratched.
My husband isn't as concerned about it for himself, but I am. Thats why I tried to handle it myself. He takes meds that cause his blood to be thinner. I figure its safer for me.

Thanks again for your suggestions!!!

psjauntie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Rockcat:

Do you want me to ask neighbor for trap we used to get smokie?? I'm pretty sure they will let me use it again.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by psjauntie

Rockcat:

Do you want me to ask neighbor for trap we used to get smokie?? I'm pretty sure they will let me use it again.
PSJ - I forgot you got that from a neighbor! Maybe, but let me try with the chicken in the carrier first. There are lot of coons and possoms around. Armadillos too, but I don't know what they eat. I really don't want to trap one of them!

I'm waiting for the vet to call me back too. I'll ask if I can bring her in a trap if necessary. The rule is that all cats must be in a carrier. I THINK they only do surgerys Thurs & Fri, so if I need it, it won't be until later next week.

Thanks!

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rockcat

Those are great ideas.

We did have the carrier out for awhile, but not long enough.
I haven't tried chicken with her. The smell might do the trick! Oh, now I have some hope again!
If we can get her to go in on her own I will be estatic!

Otherwise, I hate to admit this, but I'm kinda "gun shy" now after being scratched.
My husband isn't as concerned about it for himself, but I am. Thats why I tried to handle it myself. He takes meds that cause his blood to be thinner. I figure its safer for me.

Thanks again for your suggestions!!!
You're very welcome.
I hope you can get hold of the little stinker.

Maybe get a pair of those heavy work gloves and wear them the next time.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We decided to not make another attempt last night. I made ANOTHER appointment for next Friday. I kissed kitty butt instead last night.
I was so depressed all day yesterday thinking that she doesn't trust me anymore. We gave her lots of treats and petted her as much as she would let us.

We were petting her on our stairway and I looked down and there was a raccoon staring at up at us. If we end up borrowing a trap, I really hope we don't trap him!

We have a friend who used to be a vet tech who offered to help next Thurs night, so, between her, the chicken, and the trap... lets hope we can outsmart the pretty little kitty.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You very well may get a different critter in the trap.
I have a friend that used to do TNR she's caught skunks, possums and a baby raccoon.
I happened to be with her the morning she went to check the trap and Mr. Skunk was in there.
We knew he was in there LONG before we got near the trap, you could smell the spray a mile away....he wasn't too happy

jeanw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here's what my vet had me do in a similar situation.

Put the carrier outside and put the kitty food right next to the carrier. In a day or two put the food just barely inside the carrier - so kitty can eat the food without getting into the carrier. In a couple of days push the food farther back in the carrier. Let kitty eat that way a couple of days and then one time just push the door shut. It worked great for me.

Let us know how you do. Good luck!