I think they are going to have to take his nail out :(

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The antibiotics didn't work as well as I hoped they would. His paw is still infected, and its starting to bleed a little now. I called the vet clinic, and they told me to call the clinic he was seen at, and get them to fax his records over so that they could give me more meds and book an appointment for his de-claw.

They said they were going to call be back and let me know what his normal vet wants to do, although I think the only option is to remove the claw. I'm so upset. I don't know how much longer I can afford his vet bills. He's going to put us in the poor house.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gothicangel69

The antibiotics didn't work as well as I hoped they would. His paw is still infected, and its starting to bleed a little now. I called the vet clinic, and they told me to call the clinic he was seen at, and get them to fax his records over so that they could give me more meds and book an appointment for his de-claw.

They said they were going to call be back and let me know what his normal vet wants to do, although I think the only option is to remove the claw. I'm so upset. I don't know how much longer I can afford his vet bills. He's going to put us in the poor house.
Awww, thats awful- my little Bayley had an infection in his claws when we brought him home from our Humane Society. We took him to the vet as well, because they were falling out, & they seemed really sore. They put him on meds as well; and luckily for us, it helped so much. They also told us to soak his paws in Epson salt & warm water to help the infection- that also really helped.

I'm sorry to hear about your kitty... is it just one claw, or all of them?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
but at least he'll be well afterwards. it is just for the infected one, right? make sure they know you want him to keep any that are healthy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Its the 'thumb' on his right front paw. Yes, it is just the one they might have to take out.
The vet just called me back and said that he's going to try one more course of antibiotics because he really doesn't want to take the nail out unless he really has to (not to mention Zorro has already been under three times since January).
I'm going to go pick up the new meds in a few minutes. I really hope they fix the problem.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In this case, it would be justification for a declaw with the nail - nothing wrong with that. IMO I would not do anymore antibotics since the others didn't work - I just go ahead and schedule him to have the nail removed and get it over with.

But its your decision
Hope things improve soon.

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know the nail will need to come out eventually, but I want to try another course of antibiotics just to make sure. He was on prednisone (which lowered his immune system)so I'm hoping that its just not completely out of his system and that this other course of antibiotics might get the infection.
I also don't like putting him under anesthetic so much.

miyu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Make sure you feed him a really good diet because he is on so much antibiotics. You can do a search about the problems antibiotics cause and how to treat them with a good diet.

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He gets Merrick canned food

He's on clavamox again, twice a day, for another 14 days. I really hope it works this time. His vet really doesn't want to do surgery on him unless its absolutely necessary.
They gave me a pamphlet explaining the medication and its possible side effects. I havn't read it yet though.