Ferris needs TCS vibes, please!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ferris goes in to the vet's for his lion cut under sedation first thing tomorrow morning, and any time that he has to be caught and placed into a carrier he gets totally traumatized, peeing all over himself in utter terror, complete with yowling like he's being tortured.

Maybe it is ME that needs the vibes: His appointment is for 8 a.m., and I'm going to need as much luck as I can get to EASILY catch him and crate him to be able to get to the vet's on time.

I am NOT a morning person and generally don't leave the house until 8:15 in the morning, so this will require me getting up much earlier, locking him in the kitchen and teasing him with the promise of food so I can snag and crate him.

So my vibes request is two-fold: First, that he doesn't put up too much of a fuss and that I am able to get him crated without bloodshed, and secondly, that he do well under sedation and have NO PROBLEMS at the vet's office, and come home healthy with no ill effects, along with a handsome new "do."

I am going to ask them to please give him a standard vet check while he is there, although his annual isn't scheduled until September, three months away. If we can get away with NOT having to do this to him again in three months, I know he and I will BOTH appreciate it.

I don't know if they'll want to give him his boosters when he's sedated, but the fewer times a year I throw him into a carrier the happier we will all be - keeping in mind that we will be moving in 6 weeks, which will require crating him again, and keeping him crated for several hours.

Poor, poor little Ferris. I'm SUCH a mean meowmy!

Any and all vibes for my dear boy will be greatly appreciated!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, sweet Ferris! Sending many vibes to him, and some calming vibes to you too Betsy!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good luck to both of you!!! I'm sure he'll feel so much lighter and happier after he gets his hair cut and will get over the trauma of the vet visit before you know it.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would be nice if they had some sort of oral sedative you could give him in his food....

for you and Ferris to have a calm time tomorrow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

Would be nice if they had some sort of oral sedative you could give him in his food....

Ace didn't have much of an effect on him when we tried it before - he panics too easily. But he's been getting flower essences for the last couple of weeks, so that SHOULD help a little bit.

All food and water gets picked up tonight at 8 p.m., so I'll have a hungry and thirsty kitty mutiny on my hands in the morning.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

I'm assuming he isn't allowed food as well given that he's going under sedation?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I'm assuming he isn't allowed food as well given that he's going under sedation?
That's correct. All dinner must be finished by 8 p.m. tonight. No midnight snacks.

jamasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww don't worry Ferris you'll be home before you know it. Relaxing vibes being sent to Ferris and Betsy. Will you post pictures of him with his new haircut?

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww... good luck to you both tomorrow morning. Poor Ferris... at least he'll come home feeling and looking cool!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jamasmom

Will you post pictures of him with his new haircut?
You bet your sweet bippie I will!

Most likely not until the weekend though, as that will be the only time I have to download then upload the pics. But I promise, pics will be forthcoming!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw, poor Ferris! And poor Meowmy!!

I completely understand as Ophelia is the same way.
It's hard on all of us to get her into a carrier, and usually consists of locking her in the bedroom, and dismantling the bed to catch her.

The best thing I've found is to use a towel to toss/place over her head/body and then use the towel to pick her up and place her in the carrier. The towel over the head usually stuns them enough to give you a chance to grab them without too much trauma, and also puts a barrier between your skin and their claws and teeth.

Lots of vibes for both of you tomorrow!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Calming vibes going out to both of you!

I'm just curious, what is a tiger cut? Excuse my ignorance.
A lion cut (not tiger) is a haircut that shaves the back, belly, sides, legs and tail of a longhaired cat to alleviate matting and to allow them to feel cooler in the warmer weather. It looks a bit like a poodle cut, but as these are cats we are talking about, we don't want to hurt their feelings by telling them they look like doggies.

If you do a TCS search on Lion Cut, you'll find several examples with photos, as there are quite a few TCS furbabies that get haircuts!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Aw, poor Ferris! And poor Meowmy!!

I completely understand as Ophelia is the same way.
It's hard on all of us to get her into a carrier, and usually consists of locking her in the bedroom, and dismantling the bed to catch her.

The best thing I've found is to use a towel to toss/place over her head/body and then use the towel to pick her up and place her in the carrier. The towel over the head usually stuns them enough to give you a chance to grab them without too much trauma, and also puts a barrier between your skin and their claws and teeth.

Lots of vibes for both of you tomorrow!
I tried the towel before, and it threw him into high-speed panic, bolting backwards with claws extended. Not gonna try THAT again.

I have a hard-sided carrier that I can drop him into from the top, and have a set of rain gauntlets (long gloves) with Kevlar in them that cover my hands and wrists up to my forearms. Last time I had to catch him, I found that although they are scary to him, I bleed a LOT less when I use them to get him into the carrier.

I'll close off the kitchen, where I've had his carrier out in the open for the last two weeks. I've been using it as a "treat stop" and although Penny and Ginger have been in and out of it, Ferris still eyes it suspiciously.

I'll pretend that I'm getting him some food, he'll rub up against me, then SNAG & STUFF!

I really am evil.

Ah well, it is what it is.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I tried the towel before, and it threw him into high-speed panic, bolting backwards with claws extended. Not gonna try THAT again.

I have a hard-sided carrier that I can drop him into from the top, and have a set of rain gauntlets (long gloves) with Kevlar in them that cover my hands and wrists up to my forearms. Last time I had to catch him, I found that although they are scary to him, I bleed a LOT less when I use them to get him into the carrier.

I'll close off the kitchen, where I've had his carrier out in the open for the last two weeks. I've been using it as a "treat stop" and although Penny and Ginger have been in and out of it, Ferris still eyes it suspiciously.

I'll pretend that I'm getting him some food, he'll rub up against me, then SNAG & STUFF!

I really am evil.

Ah well, it is what it is.
Awwww... Poor Ferris. I will pray that the "Snag and Stuff" will be the best plan of attack for you.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots of ))vibes(( for Ferris and
for you. Hope it all goes well, can't wait for the photos

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
prayers for easy catching, good recovery from sedation, & calming meowmy vibes coming your way!
excited to see that handsome boy with his lion cut!