Why do they do this?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, I went to Wal-Mart yesterday to get my furbabies cat and kitten food, and picked up a bag of cheaper stuff for the barn cats. I didn't have a chance to put it in the cupboard last night (ok, I completely forgot to put it away!
) and I woke up this morning to a HUGE mess! Not only was the bag chewed open, but it was knocked off the counter and cat food was all over the floor.
Now, keep in mind, my cats are free fed and the still had plenty of food. And, I've tried to feed them this brand before when I didn't have a chance to get "their" brand and they turned their nose up at it. So what the....??? I think I know who did it...my money is on Corky. She is the "destroyer" in the house. She is also the one that thinks the toilet paper was put there for her own amusement. I'll never figure them out!

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
mine do the same to the dog food bag. I think they like the paper, and playing and clawing at it.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
cause you know that they want what they're not supposed to have is the only thing they want!
my cats have done this to the dog food, which then of course they don't eat, just make a mess

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats will be cats!! Mine do the same thing~and they also love to chew a new loaf of bread, or the dog food bag....

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have one cat that does this. Uno will chew open the corner of the dog food bag but she will also chew open the corner of the cat food bag which is the exact same cat food in their dish. Go figure!

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's "the thrill of the hunt"... food you work for is always more delicious than the stuff that's just put out

Even if it's the same stuff you turned your nose up at last week!

wildflower79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

Mine always break into the treats if I leave them out...it's a cat thing
I've gotten better about not leaving the treats laying around but there was one time I left small bad of Gizmo's favorite treats sitting on my desk. I caught him trying chew his way through the bag and when he saw that I watching he actually grabbed the bag in mouth and ran off with it! It was actually rather funny but perhaps even funnier was he tired to dragged the bag underneath the tv stand but he and the bag weren't going to fit so he had no choice but to let go.