How to get kitty to understand

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Zoey is semi feral ... Great kitty but she thinks it is great to climb humans ... HELP

catpsych

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awwww, Ferals.....my favorite type of cat and some of the most unique behavioral problems.
Let see, I would as soon as Zoey begins to climb up you, let out a load shriek, and gently pick her off, set her down on the floor, and immediatley leave the room (make no eye contact with her) and close the door behind you. Zoey will soon start to learn that climbing humans is no fun and they leave as soon as she does it. Before I'm sure it was quite cute.....that was until she grew up, no one wants a 12+lbs cat clawing their way up your leg!
So, make sure to be consistant everytime, and within a month she should have it figured out that there is no attention or reward that comes from this behavior, and will then have no reason to do it. At this point it should completely stop all together. And as a side note, she WILL test you at first, but stick to your guns and remain consistant and she'll get the picture. Good luck to you and Zoey!
Kerry

Originally Posted by sharky

My Zoey is semi feral ... Great kitty but she thinks it is great to climb humans ... HELP

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ohhhhh thanks for this!!!! My little Smudgey does this! Whenever I'm in the kitchen, and she's not getting fed, she has to climb me so she can sit on my shoulder and see what's so exciting that she's not getting.

It wasn't too big a deal in winter when I was wearing thick jeans and a thick sweater, but now it's summer and I'm wearing shorts and a thin shirt, it HURTS!!!!!

When she wants a cuddle, she stretches up my leg, and I pick her up for a cuddle, which is fine, but when she's being nosy, she jumps up to about waist high then continues to climb. I wonder if this is confusing for her, that I allow her to stretch up me for cuddles, but don't allow her to climb up me?

I say her name loudly in an angry tone when she tries to climb me, and she gets back down, and cowers (I feel like the meanest person in the world, but it REALLY hurts!). She's doing it a bit less now, but I'm always having to watch her when I'm in the kitchen to try to stop her before the leap.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
THANK YOU Kerry .... It has started working already

catpsych

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, one last little FYI, never use her name during punishment. When she tries to climb up you, let out a loud shriek, don't use her name. If you use her name, she will learn to associate her name with bad stuff, and we don't want that.

Best Wishes!
Kerry

Originally Posted by sarahp

Ohhhhh thanks for this!!!! My little Smudgey does this! Whenever I'm in the kitchen, and she's not getting fed, she has to climb me so she can sit on my shoulder and see what's so exciting that she's not getting.

It wasn't too big a deal in winter when I was wearing thick jeans and a thick sweater, but now it's summer and I'm wearing shorts and a thin shirt, it HURTS!!!!!

When she wants a cuddle, she stretches up my leg, and I pick her up for a cuddle, which is fine, but when she's being nosy, she jumps up to about waist high then continues to climb. I wonder if this is confusing for her, that I allow her to stretch up me for cuddles, but don't allow her to climb up me?

I say her name loudly in an angry tone when she tries to climb me, and she gets back down, and cowers (I feel like the meanest person in the world, but it REALLY hurts!). She's doing it a bit less now, but I'm always having to watch her when I'm in the kitchen to try to stop her before the leap.