Eggs!!!

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry this has nothing to do with pets LOL, But I was curious. So I was looking up brown eggs on google today and they say that there is no difference in nutritional value than white eggs. So I was wondering, then why do some people prefer brown eggs? Does anyone know?

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well the ones I buy are brown... but that's really neither here nor there... I buy them because they're cage free... they just happen to be brown

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MuttigreeMom

Well the ones I buy are brown... but that's really neither here nor there... I buy them because they're cage free... they just happen to be brown
Are all brown eggs cage free? Because at the store I was looking at them, and only 1 of them specifically said cage free.

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

during the war they used to stain white eggs with cold tea to make them look brown - my nana told me
honest !!
Whats the purpose of that? lol

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roimata

Are all brown eggs cage free? Because at the store I was looking at them, and only 1 of them specifically said cage free.
No, sorry I should have specified.

Brown eggs just come from a different breed of hen. Not all brown eggs are cage free... and not all cage free eggs are brown... I just meant that as it happens the ones I buy are brown
(Please excuse... I haven't slept yet... it's making me a little slow this morning
)

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aha! well, I have tried brown eggs, I personally think they taste better than white eggs. Its a suttle difference but I can tell.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roimata

Aha! well, I have tried brown eggs, I personally think they taste better than white eggs. Its a suttle difference but I can tell.
I've just started to try eggs from different types of hens. There are small taste differences due to what they've been eating.

In all honesty, if you love eggs try to hook yourself up with a farmer that has chickens. The eggs you'll get from them are wonderful, and you'll never ever go back to eggs in a box again.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have NO clue. I think the brown eggs - the yolk is darker in color so maybe it looks "richer"????

I think its sooooo stupid for someone to be paying higher prices on brown eggs then white eggs, when its no difference in quality. Our sister in law raises chickens and has given us fresh eggs - some brown, some white and she has chickens that lay the "color" eggs of blue/green
Those are kinda cool - but all of them are the same nutrition wise

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In all honesty, if you love eggs try to hook yourself up with a farmer that has chickens. The eggs you'll get from them are wonderful, and you'll never ever go back to eggs in a box again.
Thats what my dad said
Id also love to try milk thats straight from a cow...but that seems kind of gross if its not free of bacteria.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mother hates white eggs, I mean i see no difference except for baking.
While baking the cakes ect have a richer taste if made with brown eggs.

I just buy what ever is on sale

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I have NO clue. I think the brown eggs - the yolk is darker in color so maybe it looks "richer"????

I think its sooooo stupid for someone to be paying higher prices on brown eggs then white eggs, when its no difference in quality. Our sister in law raises chickens and has given us fresh eggs - some brown, some white and she has chickens that lay the "color" eggs of blue/green
I just ran into a light blue and green egg a few days ago. It made me wonder what that girl was eating!

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is kinda stupid, but I honestly do tell a difference in taste, and I like brown eggs better.

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

I just ran into a light blue and green egg a few days ago. It made me wonder what that girl was eating!
I think someone got into the Paas tablets

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate brown eggs. Last time we had brown eggs (like a month or two ago) almost every egg in the pack was double yolk and I hate the yolk. Most of those ended up getting thrown away.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my area of the country, there is an ad campaign with the slogan:

Brown eggs are local eggs, and local eggs are fresh!

I think that the color of the egg depends on the type of chicken laying it - but I could be wrong about that.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Brown eggs do indeed come from different chicken breeds.

Brown eggs are typically from local sources as factory farm eggs are always white coming from white chickens.

It's been ages since I kept chickens, but if I recall it was my Rhode Island Reds that laid brown eggs, I believe Anconas do as well.

And here's a thought for you all, those beautiful Grade A large eggs at your super market have usually sat in a warehouse for at least a year before being shipped out to retailers.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i prefer brown eggs. i just have to switch stores though. i was buying them at super target and the last couple packages of them have been terrible! the last one had one stuck in the container and the shells were thin. so i'm going back to the local grocery stores for my eggs.

i really think the brown eggs (cage free or organic) taste much better than white eggs. usually the shells seem thicker than white eggs too. around here there isn't much of a price difference between brown cage free eggs and regular white eggs, so i opt for the brown eggs.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catlover19

I hate brown eggs. Last time we had brown eggs (like a month or two ago) almost every egg in the pack was double yolk and I hate the yolk. Most of those ended up getting thrown away.
As I understand it, the double-yolk thing is a genetic tendency that runs in some flocks. Young hens are also more likely to lay eggs with a double yolk than older ones. So if you had a box with several double-yolkers in it is probably from a fairly young flock of hens with a genetic predisposition.

I don't know whether certain breeds of chicken are more likely to have that genetic predisposition though, so can't tell you whether avoiding certain colour eggs will lessen the chance of getting a double yolk!

Personally I love double-yolks, it's like getting 2 eggs for the price of one