TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Eggs!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Eggs!!!

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
Sorry this has nothing to do with pets LOL, But I was curious. So I was looking up brown eggs on google today and they say that there is no difference in nutritional value than white eggs. So I was wondering, then why do some people prefer brown eggs? Does anyone know?
post #2 of 25
That's a good question, I think maybe they just think they are eating a healthier egg
post #3 of 25
Well the ones I buy are brown... but that's really neither here nor there... I buy them because they're cage free... they just happen to be brown
post #4 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuttigreeMom View Post
Well the ones I buy are brown... but that's really neither here nor there... I buy them because they're cage free... they just happen to be brown
Are all brown eggs cage free? Because at the store I was looking at them, and only 1 of them specifically said cage free.
post #5 of 25
during the war they used to stain white eggs with cold tea to make them look brown - my nana told me honest !!
post #6 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooficat View Post
during the war they used to stain white eggs with cold tea to make them look brown - my nana told me honest !!
Whats the purpose of that? lol
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roimata View Post
Are all brown eggs cage free? Because at the store I was looking at them, and only 1 of them specifically said cage free.
No, sorry I should have specified.

Brown eggs just come from a different breed of hen. Not all brown eggs are cage free... and not all cage free eggs are brown... I just meant that as it happens the ones I buy are brown (Please excuse... I haven't slept yet... it's making me a little slow this morning )
post #8 of 25
Thread Starter 
Aha! well, I have tried brown eggs, I personally think they taste better than white eggs. Its a suttle difference but I can tell.
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roimata View Post
Aha! well, I have tried brown eggs, I personally think they taste better than white eggs. Its a suttle difference but I can tell.
I've just started to try eggs from different types of hens. There are small taste differences due to what they've been eating.

In all honesty, if you love eggs try to hook yourself up with a farmer that has chickens. The eggs you'll get from them are wonderful, and you'll never ever go back to eggs in a box again.
post #10 of 25
I have NO clue. I think the brown eggs - the yolk is darker in color so maybe it looks "richer"????

I think its sooooo stupid for someone to be paying higher prices on brown eggs then white eggs, when its no difference in quality. Our sister in law raises chickens and has given us fresh eggs - some brown, some white and she has chickens that lay the "color" eggs of blue/green Those are kinda cool - but all of them are the same nutrition wise
post #11 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
In all honesty, if you love eggs try to hook yourself up with a farmer that has chickens. The eggs you'll get from them are wonderful, and you'll never ever go back to eggs in a box again.
Thats what my dad said Id also love to try milk thats straight from a cow...but that seems kind of gross if its not free of bacteria.
post #12 of 25
My mother hates white eggs, I mean i see no difference except for baking.
While baking the cakes ect have a richer taste if made with brown eggs.

I just buy what ever is on sale
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
I have NO clue. I think the brown eggs - the yolk is darker in color so maybe it looks "richer"????

I think its sooooo stupid for someone to be paying higher prices on brown eggs then white eggs, when its no difference in quality. Our sister in law raises chickens and has given us fresh eggs - some brown, some white and she has chickens that lay the "color" eggs of blue/green Those are kinda cool - but all of them are the same nutrition wise
I just ran into a light blue and green egg a few days ago. It made me wonder what that girl was eating!
post #14 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
I think its sooooo stupid for someone to be paying higher prices on brown eggs then white eggs, when its no difference in quality. Our sister in law raises chickens and has given us fresh eggs - some brown, some white and she has chickens that lay the "color" eggs of blue/green Those are kinda cool - but all of them are the same nutrition wise
It is kinda stupid, but I honestly do tell a difference in taste, and I like brown eggs better.
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingglass View Post
I just ran into a light blue and green egg a few days ago. It made me wonder what that girl was eating!
I think someone got into the Paas tablets
post #16 of 25
I hate brown eggs. Last time we had brown eggs (like a month or two ago) almost every egg in the pack was double yolk and I hate the yolk. Most of those ended up getting thrown away.
post #17 of 25
In my area of the country, there is an ad campaign with the slogan:

Brown eggs are local eggs, and local eggs are fresh!

I think that the color of the egg depends on the type of chicken laying it - but I could be wrong about that.
post #18 of 25
Brown eggs do indeed come from different chicken breeds.

Brown eggs are typically from local sources as factory farm eggs are always white coming from white chickens.

It's been ages since I kept chickens, but if I recall it was my Rhode Island Reds that laid brown eggs, I believe Anconas do as well.



And here's a thought for you all, those beautiful Grade A large eggs at your super market have usually sat in a warehouse for at least a year before being shipped out to retailers.
post #19 of 25
i prefer brown eggs. i just have to switch stores though. i was buying them at super target and the last couple packages of them have been terrible! the last one had one stuck in the container and the shells were thin. so i'm going back to the local grocery stores for my eggs.

i really think the brown eggs (cage free or organic) taste much better than white eggs. usually the shells seem thicker than white eggs too. around here there isn't much of a price difference between brown cage free eggs and regular white eggs, so i opt for the brown eggs.
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover19 View Post
I hate brown eggs. Last time we had brown eggs (like a month or two ago) almost every egg in the pack was double yolk and I hate the yolk. Most of those ended up getting thrown away.
As I understand it, the double-yolk thing is a genetic tendency that runs in some flocks. Young hens are also more likely to lay eggs with a double yolk than older ones. So if you had a box with several double-yolkers in it is probably from a fairly young flock of hens with a genetic predisposition.

I don't know whether certain breeds of chicken are more likely to have that genetic predisposition though, so can't tell you whether avoiding certain colour eggs will lessen the chance of getting a double yolk!

Personally I love double-yolks, it's like getting 2 eggs for the price of one
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roimata View Post
Thats what my dad said Id also love to try milk thats straight from a cow...but that seems kind of gross if its not free of bacteria.
I don't know about where you live, but here in Ontario even the dairy farmers are not allowed to take the milk straight from the cow for their own personal use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwan View Post
My mother hates white eggs, I mean i see no difference except for baking.
While baking the cakes ect have a richer taste if made with brown eggs.

I just buy what ever is on sale
I'm not sure I really believe there is that much difference in flavour between brown and white eggs - just different hens.
post #22 of 25
Might be a slight difference in taste, but nutrition wise its the same. There are only a few breeds of chickens (that I remember reading about) that lay brown eggs - the majority lay white eggs. I do know the Rhode Island Reds were one of the brown layers.

And the color eggs - its the breed - not what they feed them - my SIL's chickens all get feed the same kind of food but she has a few of the fancy breeds and they are the blue/green egg layers. The breed is nicknamed "Easter Chickens"
post #23 of 25
I used to live on a farm when i was a little girl- and man -there is nothing better than farm fresh eggs from your own hens!!!! I miss those days!!! Store bought ones are just not the same!
post #24 of 25
We've had black hens and red hens (part Rhode Island Red) and they both laid brown eggs. It's true only white hens lay white eggs.
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roimata View Post
Sorry this has nothing to do with pets LOL, But I was curious. So I was looking up brown eggs on google today and they say that there is no difference in nutritional value than white eggs. So I was wondering, then why do some people prefer brown eggs? Does anyone know?
Tristan (my SO) lives on a farm, his parents breed chickens, they are free range. The colour and size of the egg depends on the age and breed of the chicken. I've had eggs from older chickens, that were really little and white, and they taste just as good as store bought and brown eggs. It doesn't make much of a difference unless you are one of those people that tastes eggs for a living :P
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Eggs!!!