Missing his sister

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Kerry, just to give you a history.

We lost our two year old calico Jasmine almost 6 weeks ago now. She and my 8 year old Charlie didn't have the best relationship, she was the dominant one and they fought a bit, but the did accept they had to share a house for 2 years. Charlie is generally a timid cat, he had a previous owner already when we adopted him at 16 weeks, we don't know what caused his timidness.

We've built an enclosure and Charlie is now an indoor cat. He had always had a flea or two on him but they really got to him after Jazzy died, and for the first month he developed psychogenic alopecia from the stress of not having freedom anymore as well (which has been treated with Advantage & anti-biotics). The vet told us that Jasmine was his protector, even though they fought, whenever she was around he knew that he was safe from the neighbours cats. We have only been in this house a year and have alot of trouble with the ferals, as i call them.

We also found out that the reason he went so crazy, was that he didn't know how to mourn her, he was lost and didn't know what to do. He was running up and down the hall alot and making the brrrr noises like Jazzy used to. Now for about 6 days he has been on Clomicalm and he looked really depressed like he was finally dealing with her death, now that he wasn't running about the house and being crazy, not evened out. He is a little better now, we have started to reduce his dose, and he seems a little more himself.

What i wanted to know was have you seen this behaviour before, and are there any recomendations to any special attention (other than the loving and cuddles from 3 people he gets) he should be getting or anything like that?

Thankyou
Emma.

catpsych

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This sounds like totally normal. Cats feel depression and mourn just like us human do. A lot of times our pets so not realize the pet has passed away, many times they spend days and weeks looking for them, which sounds like what is going on. In a multipet household when a pet passes away, it is best to lie the body in a central location within the home for 24 hours. This gives all the pets in the home a chance to see and sniff the body and acknowldge the passing. I know this sounds totally weird, but in the animal kingdom, this is how death is dealt with. Once the passing is acknowldged the colony moves on. Pet experts state that when using this method, household pets experiences less stress and confusion; and the time spent mourning the death was also less. However, everything you describe sounds normal, your kitty will recover from his loss, regain confidence, and eventually accept the fact he is an indoor kitty, it will all just take time. In the mean time you are doing what is best for him, lots of love and attention.
Don't be afraid to talk to him either, about your loss you both have experienced, it will comfort him and he may even understand some of it and it will help relieve his stress.
During stressful times I always sit down with my kitties and speak softly to them about what is going on, and some how some way them seem to understand it and their stress deminishes. So, maybe give it a try and see how Charlie responds.

Best Wishes,
Kerry

Originally Posted by Dragoriana

Hi Kerry, just to give you a history.

We lost our two year old calico Jasmine almost 6 weeks ago now. She and my 8 year old Charlie didn't have the best relationship, she was the dominant one and they fought a bit, but the did accept they had to share a house for 2 years. Charlie is generally a timid cat, he had a previous owner already when we adopted him at 16 weeks, we don't know what caused his timidness.

We've built an enclosure and Charlie is now an indoor cat. He had always had a flea or two on him but they really got to him after Jazzy died, and for the first month he developed psychogenic alopecia from the stress of not having freedom anymore as well (which has been treated with Advantage & anti-biotics). The vet told us that Jasmine was his protector, even though they fought, whenever she was around he knew that he was safe from the neighbours cats. We have only been in this house a year and have alot of trouble with the ferals, as i call them.

We also found out that the reason he went so crazy, was that he didn't know how to mourn her, he was lost and didn't know what to do. He was running up and down the hall alot and making the brrrr noises like Jazzy used to. Now for about 6 days he has been on Clomicalm and he looked really depressed like he was finally dealing with her death, now that he wasn't running about the house and being crazy, not evened out. He is a little better now, we have started to reduce his dose, and he seems a little more himself.

What i wanted to know was have you seen this behaviour before, and are there any recomendations to any special attention (other than the loving and cuddles from 3 people he gets) he should be getting or anything like that?

Thankyou
Emma.