Kitten eating my adults food

oldfarmcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 3 month old kitten is eating SD Kitten food... Durning the day.. she will go into the adults area and eat SD Senior less active food. She really eats anythign eatable.

Is the adult food bad for her.....

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its not bad - just that kitten food has a little higher calories for growing. Now the senior diet with less protein I'd do my best to keep the kitten away from that food - that could cause some problems if he's eating too much of that.

Is he also eating the kitten food regularly?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by OldfarmCats

My 3 month old kitten is eating SD Kitten food... Durning the day.. she will go into the adults area and eat SD Senior less active food. She really eats anythign eatable.

Is the adult food bad for her.....
SENIOR IS a BAD thing for a kitten ... as MOST senior foods % ages for protein, fat, phosphorus and calcium are TOO LOW for a growing kitty .... SENIOR and LIGHT are the ONLY foods totally not acceptable to feed a kitten....

Please find away to stop the kitten from eating it ...

justicelynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sharky is absolutly right, senior food is terrible food for kittens.
That said, I had the same problem when I got Kahlan. The easiest way I found to make sure she ate the kitten food was to mix her morning meals with moist food and feed the other one moist as well in another room. And her evening meals were mixed with kitten milk.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oldfarmcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is mostly eating the kitten food when she is in her room... its just when she has run of the house she will dip into the adult food.. I will keep an eye on that and remove it from her when I see her going towards it... Maybe I will try a different kitten food, one that may taste better to her.

Thank you for the heads up...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO that's why you need a scheduled time for all meals instead of free feeding - especially with different age groups. Then you feed each a portion of food and don't allow another cat to eat the same foods.

If they are all kittens, all adult, or all senior then its a lot easier to free feed if you want

L

larks

She is mostly eating the kitten food when she is in her room... its just when she has run of the house she will dip into the adult food.. I will keep an eye on that and remove it from her when I see her going towards it... Maybe I will try a different kitten food, one that may taste better to her.
Had the same problems with my kitten when she was younger. The kitten food might be fine its just something with kittens wanting adult too. I've no idea why they want adult food as mine seemed very keen on her kitten food as well. In the end I just fed them all at similar times but in different areas of house.

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
you're best bet other than scheduled feedings, which are hard to do with some cats, is switch everyone to a better quality all life stages food. That wasy everyone can eat the same thing and it won't matter. I feed all of mine California Natural, from my adults down to 8 week old foster kittens. Everyone also gets all life stages wet food. I don't put a lot of stock in kitten, adult, senior, etc food. Seems uneccesary to me.

oldfarmcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is all hard food.. mostly SD. Kitten and Senior. I think I will make feeding times, but the adult is use to it being there all day

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by OldfarmCats

It is all hard food.. mostly SD. Kitten and Senior. I think I will make feeding times, but the adult is use to it being there all day
All stage is well a one size fit s a AFFCO % profile ... I would say check into one like California Natural which is a bit high in proteinfor an over 8 yr old ( how old is the senior cat?? forgive me if you said it) but it is quite good and the protein and fat are great for kittens and cats not needing to watch protein levals ....

Many adult formulas will work .... for both but seprate specialized is best IMHO... All stage may be best in your case

oldfarmcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The adult is 14 female.... she may or may not have a kidney problem so I was steering way from higher proteen foods. I think I will have her rechecked for that and if it is ok, I will go for the all for one. I like that idea.