kitty bellies!

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello! I have a very simple question........why do cats roll over and show you their bellies? Is it just a comfortable way for them to lay, or is a sign of something else?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm interested to know the answer, because for Ginger and Penny, it means: rub my belly, whereas for Ferris, it means: touch my belly and DIE!

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I'm interested to know the answer, because for Ginger and Penny, it means: rub my belly, whereas for Ferris, it means: touch my belly and DIE!
ditto for me too...........Pepsi & Teddy roll over and love serious tummy rubs

Whereas Dino
he'd have my hand off in a whisper

Miss Moofs, you can tickle but only until she says so

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
same here - Pixel LOVES belly rubs, the other 3, not so much, & Chip will bite. i wonder if it's partially raising - Cable will allow me to touch her belly with no real protest, altho she doesn't love it like Pixel does. they were both mine from 8 weeks of age. Java, i got at 3.5 months, Chip as an adult - they both highly dislike their tummies approached. i'm training [
] Firefox to accept it, if not love it.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same thing here.
With Gracie it means "rub my tummy, Mom"
With Elliott and Annabelle it means "Good, she fell for it again now I can stick my claws into her, do bunny kicks and bite"

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same here - Sonic is very affectionate and is quite happy to have his belly stroked whereas if you try it with Radar you are in danger of having part of your hand amputated. Both neutered boys, Sonic 7 1/2 months, Radar 13 1/2 months.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All 4 of mine love showing me their bellies, but Tiggy will immediately go for your hand if you try to do more than touch his belly.......the other 3 tolerate it for a bit, then they're done..

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Charlie is a rub tart
First you start at his back legs and rub above the ankle, then he stretches them out, then start moving to his belly, he gets all comfy stretching and flipping over, then voila! a belly! Saying 'ooh that's good, please mum i want more belly rubs!' lol

Jazzy was funny with those. Even though she'd run around and go psychotic, in the middle of chewing and clawing things shed just plop onto the floor and flash her fluffy belly. Then about a minute into rubbing she'd have enough and sink all claws and teeth into you for the whole of a second, then start licking your hand! I loved it when shed get annoyed shed try to kick your hand away with her back feet! I should have taken pics of that *sighs*

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My RB kitty Babygirl would not let you rub her belly for long, but all 5 of mine now will let you rub their bellys until they fall asleep. The first time I saw Easy she just flopped on her back exposing her belly and I rubbed it and she still does that. Maybe she taught her kids to love it too

wildflower79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

yup mine too! They roll over to show you, but then touch it and they only tolerate it for a second before you get the "bunny kick"
That's exactly how it is with Gizmo. It's interesting how some cats welcome the belly rub and others don't.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

yup mine too! They roll over to show you, but then touch it and they only tolerate it for a second before you get the "bunny kick"
Thats how Harley is- Bayley is a lover, he'll let you rub his tummy all day!

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes! stoli is a tummy lover too, but he 'pretends' he doesn't like it and does a half-hearted bunny kick then relaxes, then kicks, then relaxes....

skoshkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When we first adopted her, Sophie would seem to thoroughly enjoy me petting her for a minute or two, and then suddenly would kick and bite me very hard, almost drawing blood. When my bf would do it, she would kick, but bite very softly and playfully.

I got my spray bottle out and taught her what happens when she bites me that hard, and also yelped in "pain" when she bit me. The other day, I was petting her stomach and she did the kicking, but bit me very softly and playfully. I was relieved that she learned not to bite me so hard!

pinkrhinos4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it depends on what mood your cats are in.. If they are feeling playful they will claw you when you rub their tummy but if they tired and sleepy they love their belly rubbing ...

tatsukitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In most cat family cultures it says, you're the mommy or daddy, I trust you. I think it depends on how trusting your cat is towards you, and again, just what the cat likes.
Mr Cleo is my giant kitty, (he's mixed so I don't know what exactly he is but it's big) I've had him since his was just little little baby. I think his mother got pregnant again when they were still nursing, or she was killed. It's been some years ><
But he trusts me alot. the only instance of clawing we had was when we were moving and he DID NOT was to get into the box. He flops over and loves his belly rubbed. I can carry him around like a baby and rub his belly.
Biscuit gives you maybe one stroke before attempted amputation. He's my sisters cat.
Rowena flops around a bit, but she's not ever really rolled over like that. Se's my newest one.

Probably alot more rambling, than explanation, but there ya go. ><