Cat Desexed

electricsheep

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Greetings, we recently (three days ago) got our cat desexed. Our vet told us that he should be back to normal in a day. Unfortunately, he has been sleeping for close to three days and eats next to nothing. We have tried to feed him everything, but he only occasionally drinks milk or water.

He's getting quite skinny now, and I was wondering if this was normal? He just seems to be lying around and doing absolutely nothing.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be taking him back in, at the very least give them a ring. All my boys bounced back within a day, and the kittens were running around as soon as they got home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

electricsheep

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took him back this afternoon and the vet said he didn't have any problems he could see, no temperature etc. He gave us this cream nutrition to give to him, but a) it doesn't seem to be doing anything and b) I'm not sure I trust that vet.

If this isn't normal, I'll find another vet.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by electricsheep

b) I'm not sure I trust that vet.
That is a good reason to find another. Probably too late this evening, but maybe try ringing a few other clinics and see what they have to say. There should be an after hours clinic somewhere.

I hope he's okay

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

electricsheep

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will do that.
He is eating again actually, just decided to have some tuna.

For some reason he won't eat his own catfood which he was eating before, but he is eating 'human' tuna.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes desexed is spayed/neutered

At least he's eating something. I hope he continues to improve.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I'd call the vet - males should be fine within 1 or 2 days and acting normal. The females is major surguery compared to males and may be "out of sorts" for a little longer.

The fact that he won't eat and is losing weight really concerns me!

Ro, I still chuckle when UK or Australians call it "desexed".....so don't feel bad.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He shouldn't still be feeling poorly, so I think a second opinion is a good idea. At least he has eaten something now, that is good

Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

...I still chuckle when UK or Australians call it "desexed".....so don't feel bad.
In the UK we don't use the term 'neuter' to only refer to castration of a male, as both sexes are neutered and we use that term for both genders, male neuter=castration, female neuter=spay. However after I'd explained myself a few times I got so fed up with it that I now use the term desex, as it's more correct than neuter/spay, as a spay is a neuter! I ran out of energy trying to explain that to every American who 'corrected' me incorrectly

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My female was spayed Friday morning by Friday night she wanted to play
I tried to keep her calm
By the next day she was totally back to herself, I sure hope your little guy feels like himself soon

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've noticed that when I have to register my two neutered males for a cat show, their sex is considered neutered (a female's would be spay). Hehe, I almost put my boys in the wrong class when I put them down as males!
Missymotus, I know you've shown Demitrius before, is it done differently in Australia?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's definitely not normal for him to be taking so long to recover, especially as he's a male - it's very minor surgery and most males are pretty much back to normal the same day.

I'd be taking him to another vet to get checked out. How old is he?

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I had Sebastian done at a year old, he bounced back quickly. Daphne took longer but her's was a major surgery being that she is female. I think the anesthesia may have something to do with the length of their grogginess. Daphne took a good 18 hours to start feeling more normal. Perhaps your guy is more sensitive to it?

If you can, I suggest a second opinion. I think our instincts are usually correct when it comes to our furkids

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FerrisCat

I've noticed that when I have to register my two neutered males for a cat show, their sex is considered neutered (a female's would be spay). Hehe, I almost put my boys in the wrong class when I put them down as males!
Missymotus, I know you've shown Demitrius before, is it done differently in Australia?
Demetri is desexed male for shows, his papers are male non-breeding
Girls would be desexed female.
Entry forms list male, female, cat, kitten, entire, desexed. You just circle the appropriate ones.

The term spay is used from time to time but it's spelt spey.

Electric, how is your bub today?

bruce&sheila

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We had Bruce and Sheila desexed (I will use that term now rather than neutered!) yesterday (at 5 months old). The vet said both operations had gone well.

When I brought them home, Bruce was back to himself immediately, but poor Sheila felt very sorry for herself - frightened by the collar, and evidently feeling groggy and ill from the anaesthetic and painkillers. We had been led to believe (by the vet and people on TCS) that we would be 'surprised' by how little the operation would affect them, but Sheila had to be nursed and soothed by us (including hand-feeding) for about 6-7 hours before she had perked up enough to potter around by herself.

I wonder whether for some reason Sheila (and electricsheep's male cat) just reacted less well to the anaesthesia than most cats?

Should we bear this in mind if they have to have operations in the future? It has really upset me to see Sheila suffer so much - and that was while she was under the influence of painkillers!

I do hope your boy is starting to feel better, electricsheep.