My cat is "clicking"

emeraldlily90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Whenever Icarus is looking out of the window at the birds on our bird feeder, he makes little clicking noises. I can see they're coming from his mouth, and they're like really short, soft squeaks. I'm sure it has something to do about being excited about the bir ds, but does anyone else's cat do that?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Absolutely. It is a normal behavior. Some say it's the cat being excited at seeing the birds, others that the cat is mimicking the chirpers. Whatever the reason, I find it pretty cute.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the majority of cats do that
It's completely normal

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some call it "chattering". Lots of our RB cats did it but Aristotle chirps. It's fun to watch them watch the birds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emeraldlily90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I didn't know most cats probably did that. Mickey never did that. When I first heard Icarus "clicking" I was shocked. But after awhile,I did find it totally hilarious!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine does this too for the critters outside. It is really strange, but cute

huyi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
are you talking about when she does that funny shaky miaow? if so i've heard my cat do that and i have no idea what it means before.

erin001

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mine does not just do it around birds. unfortunately she does not ‘mowâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] all she does is 'click' it was funny as a kitten but now she is older and still funny but not nearly as much.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep Ling does it more then Charlie does. I like to think of it as them imitating the birds chirpping to lure them in closer to eat them

matt b

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hate to add a spin to the "it's cute" comments, but from what I've read what they are doing is practicing their "killing bite". In the cats mind it's got the bird, or more often in my case the squirrel, in it's mouth. The chattering/quick movement of the mouth is what it would do to sever the spinal cord of it's prey.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine do that too.
Pixel even gets that excited about the feather-on-a-wand toys. The others save it for the birds and squirrels.

huyi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Matt B

I hate to add a spin to the "it's cute" comments, but from what I've read what they are doing is practicing their "killing bite". In the cats mind it's got the bird, or more often in my case the squirrel, in it's mouth. The chattering/quick movement of the mouth is what it would do to sever the spinal cord of it's prey.
lol that's nice... basically the cat is saying "kill" & "food"