Of these foods...

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
which would you feed? and why?

I'm more posting this out of fun and curiosity than anything. I've got my two settled into their diet and am not looking to change, but I know everyone feels differently about food, so I'm sure there will be a wide variety of answers!

So here are the foods. Assume that when I put a brand it includes the entire line, so make a choice for both wet and dry (unless you refuse to feed one or the other, in which case, please explain!)

Wellness (all varieties)
Innova (regular and EVO)
Orijen
Felidae
By Nature Organics
Solid Gold
Merrick (canned only)
Go! Natural

OR raw.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Out of the ones listed I would feed Orijen. One because its the closest to what I currently feed. Two its grain free. Three I like the ingredients.

But its all besides the point because I am thrilled with what we are currently on.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Out of the foods you listed I am only familiar with 3 - Innova, Wellness, and Felidae. They are all good high quality diets imo but I would probably pick Felidae because it is lower in price than the other 2. At the moment my cats are eating California Natural and Eukanuba dry and Friskies wet.

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would also pick Felidae based on the price. You can get the large 13.2 oz cans for about $1.50 where I live. Most of the other brands charge around that for the 6 oz cans!

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My top choice would be RAW, but of the brands listed, I really like Orijen (grain-free, high-protein, plus it's Canadian-made
)

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
RAW or canned only as they more closely mimic a cat's natural diet- dry does not and has too many carbs depending. You could also consider homecooking their food if you have time (it's really not as time consuming as it sounds
)

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed California Natural and I love it. I feed Ca. Nat., Innova, Evo, Felidae, Wellness and EP wet. I would love to feed Orijen, but nowhere around me sells it, and its way expensive to order it online. I don't know alot about Go Natural or By Nature, and I think I decided I didn't like Solid Gold but I can't remember why.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Out of the list, here are my likes & dislikes:

Wellness (all varieties)--I like the new ones, but not all that happy with the pork in the older formulas.
Innova (regular and EVO)--I currently feed 2 Innova & they look great. I wish EVO wasn't so high ash, I quit feeding it because of that.
Orijen--I'm not all that familiar with it, but IMO, it is insanely expensive.
Felidae--Nobody here, not the housecats, outside cats, or the feral cats will even eat this stuff! I'm stuck with a 6 lb. bag & no one will eat it.
By Nature Organics--I like the wet, the dry isn't all that great.
Solid Gold--If I had to pick one wet & dry, this would be it. SG tuna is loved here. Everyone did well on the dry, weights great, coats great, poops great. It's no longer UTI friendly, though, so I had to switch.
Merrick (canned only)--No one here likes any of this.

Go! Natural--Not familiar with it at all.

OR raw--Ideally, this is the route I would go....but, Damita gets some raw & the dogs, that's it.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of the brands on the list

Wellness (all varieties) - I tried Core and Complete Health, and neither cat would touch it. I'm waiting for the new garlic-free canned food to come out to try. If I can get them to eat the grain free (minus the garlic), I'll be happy.

Innova (regular and EVO) - They won't eat any Innova, wet or dry

Orijen - I feed them Orijen. Yes, it's insanely expensive, but it's the only grain free they'll eat, and they love it (especially my fuss princess Cindy). If I can't get them to go entirely wet, I guess this is the next best thing. I only give them about 1/4 - 1/2 cup a day, so a bag lasts quite a while.

Felidae - They won't touch the dry, and are not too keen on the wet.

By Nature Organics - They wouldn't eat this one either.

Solid Gold - I gave them a can of the non-tuna Solid Gold wet and Swanie threw it up. So I donated the other couple cans I had gotten to try. I haven't tried the dry. I might get a bag some day to see if they would like it as an occasional treat.

Merrick (canned only) - They won't eat it

Go! Natural - Haven't tried this one.

OR raw - I can't get my brain to accept that eating raw won't make them sick, so I haven't tried it.

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feed my cat Merrick canned. He loves all of the flavors besides Cowboy cookout (he won't touch that one for some reason). I tried the Felidae (canned), but he didn't like it at all.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i don't use any of those - mine wouldn't touch the Merrick
they eat Chicken soup brand, the dry & the wet.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we tried wellness indoor dry. the guys stopped eating it after 2 weeks.
the guys wouldn't touch wellness wet.

innova evo dry--i use that as cat treats. the guys like it.

merrick--the guys initially liked, but then didn't.

by nature organics/naturals- the guys didn't really like the pouches. the fishy flavors raven & nabu liked. the cans they wouldn't touch.

those are the only ones on your list the guys tried.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wellness (all varieties)- Love the new wets and the dog treats ...

Innova (regular and EVO)- Love EVO thought but it doesnt work and reg has was to many extras

Orijen- WANT TO try but it is not locally avail

Felidae- like the chn and rice wet the others well better is avail in the $$ range

By Nature Organics- dry uses to MANY grains and some of the wet is China made ... will try the USA made cans

Solid Gold- may not love the read( ie GRAINY ) but the animals love the taste of wet and the dry ( dog and cat )

Merrick (canned only)- like the ingrediants but Fomulas and consistancy seems to be an issue

Go! Natural- Dog canned is grainy but the drys look decent never seen the cat in person

OR raw.
My Dog eats part raw and part homemade with some canned( about 3% )

Kandie
ate raw and canned

Zoey eats fish based wet and some raw now but 90% is Natural choice kitten so far the best food for her

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You guys rock
The list I put up is of all the foods carried at my work, so I know what I think of it all (even amongst my co-workers we each have our own favourites for different reasons). It's good to read all this feedback too!

Of course, my two are raw fed, I'm completley happy with that, and I've tried them on all the foods we carry, even if it was just a snack of a sample bag, but it's nice to get all these opinions from you guys!

Interesting that Orijen is so expensive for most of you. I know it can be hard to find (and we're suffering some MAJOR supply issues right now), but here it's about the same price as EVO. A 5lb bag is $20.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by vanillasugar

Wellness (all varieties)
Innova (regular and EVO)
Orijen
Felidae
By Nature Organics
Solid Gold
Merrick (canned only)
Go! Natural

OR raw.
All are great choices, of the kibble and wet I like EVO the best.
I am also all for home made as well. Dr. Pitcarn style. http://www.drpitcairn.com/books/pitcairn_book.html
Don't forget there are many pre-made raw mixes available so you don't have to make your own unless you want to do so
I know this says dog but you get the idea:
http://www.dogaware.com/dogfeeding.html

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For wet, if I had to pick only one brand on your list I would say Wellness...because they have the most grain free varieties to rotate between. My cats really like their food, and I'm real happy with it too.

Dry, I'm not sure...we only do dry as treats so I just pick up a different one each time.

To pick over the list, just for fun...

Wellness (all varieties) - They eat the grain free wet varieties with equal enthusiasm. They don't like the firmer consistency of the 3 that have rice in them. The chicken dry and CORE go over well as a treat.

Innova (regular and EVO) - They like the EVO canned, and I'm happy with it too. I just wish there were multiple flavors. They tried EVO dry and liked it too. The regular canned, ehhh they get bored with it if I feed it too often but it's alright.

Orijen - haven't tried it.

Felidae - The wet is OK just not a favorite of mine or the cats. If they liked it I would feed it more often. Dry went over well as a treat.

By Nature Organics - Just sampling the canned pate stuff. They seem to like it. It's decent. I don't think we'll do the pouches.

Solid Gold - Never tried the canned, can't find it locally. The dry was a big hit.

Merrick (canned only) - They like most of the flavors. I would feed it more often but I feel like I get more bang for my buck with Wellness. They eat Merrick a few times a week.

Go! Natural - never tried it.

OR raw - Nature's Variety was a big hit. 2 of my boys get home made raw now. They're doing very well on it. I'm pleased.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the reason Orijen is so expensive here in the states is because so few people sale it. I can buy it at one store about an hour away from me but the price is high. Also I think only a handful of places online sale it. Anyways I think thats why the price is so much higher. If more places sold it then I believe the price would come down some. I personally feed TO Serengeti. The price is not that bad and I can buy directly from the manufacturer and get free shipping as long as I send at least $20. Which is easy for me because I now buy a bigger bag (16.5lb).

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I currently feed Orijen and wet. The kitties love Orijen and, now refuse anything else but it! I have tried many of the wet that vanillasugar's store carries and they were all turned down by my picky girl - felidae, merricks, Innova and wellness. Drives me nuts!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by vanillasugar

You guys rock

Interesting that Orijen is so expensive for most of you. I know it can be hard to find (and we're suffering some MAJOR supply issues right now), but here it's about the same price as EVO. A 5lb bag is $20.
IMO, it's really the shipping costs that make Orijen so expenive. Nowhere local to me carries it, and I can only find one place on line to get it from. They charge $14.99 for a 5.5 lb bag - but adding shipping costs make it $24.75. Locally, a 6.6 bag of Evo is $15.79. Sales tax would add another couple dollars, probably.