Missy's NOT pregnant...

missymeow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Missy had her first heat back in April, she escaped, I saw her with a male, and her heat stopped. She started sleeping a lot more, became my snuggly baby-girl...and it certainly seemed all the signs were there.
The list of signs, she checked yes with all of them.
She went into heat today.
We were really looking forward to it.
I read false pregnancies are rare, but being new as a cat owner, I figured she would have been in heat again sooner if she wasn't pregnant. I take it that a cat going into heat can change them as well? Hers certainly did.

We're sad, relieved, and disappointed. We were looking forward to babies. Does anyone have similar changes in their cat after their first heat?

I appreciate everyone's feed back. And despite a bit of relief, we're also sad.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That can happen. Did you have a vet confirm that she is not pregnant? She can have silent heats. But also a cat can get pregnant at any time, not just when they are pregnant. So keep her indoors until you can hav her spayed. You don't knwo what diseases and genetic problems those males could have or be carrying.

Is there any reason you are waiting so long to have her spayed? If money is an issue (for one then don't let her get pregnant! It'll cost you a ton!) but we can help you find low cost options in your area if you tell us where you live.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missymeow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Never heard of a silent heat...this one is by all means not silent. No, money isn't the issue, we thought she was pregnant and even though I am pro-choice, I could never do that if she's pregnant. I think it's cruel. So it's not an issue of taking too long to spay her, she just went in to heat and up til now, we really thought she was pregnant. She'll be going this week.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MissyMeow

Never heard of a silent heat...this one is by all means not silent. No, money isn't the issue, we thought she was pregnant and even though I am pro-choice, I could never do that if she's pregnant. I think it's cruel. So it's not an issue of taking too long to spay her, she just went in to heat and up til now, we really thought she was pregnant. She'll be going this week.
Oh that is fine, I understand your decision, I just meant waiting until she even went into heat at all. The risk of cancer and problems when the cat is older is much higher if you wait until after the cat goes into heat to spay her. In case you didn't know, then for next time you do
Good luck!

anna2008

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
dont let ya cat have kittens they all have ago at you on this site everyone think there so much better than everyone else it sad

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
yes, cats can have what they call silent heats, its actually quite common. Good luck with Missy's spay, and if you really have a hankering for kittens, this is prime kitten season and I'm sure there are shelters and rescues in your area that would kill for a foster home for some of their kittens, you should look into it, you get cute kittens without the cost
I so wish I could do it!

fiery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just because a cat is in heat doesn't necesarilly mean she's not pregnant. I've heard of instances where a cat goes into heat after being mated and successfully pregnant, breeds again, and conceives a second batch of kittens that can be born at the same time or a few weeks later. It's a very strange phenomenom. Either way, vet check is in the near future, I'll say!

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by anna2008

dont let ya cat have kittens they all have ago at you on this site everyone think there so much better than everyone else it sad
Ummm...could you please explain this? I'm not sure I understand.

Anyway, Missy, it really is a relief that she's not pregnant. The last thing the world needs is MORE kittens, unfortunately. There aren't enough homes for the astronomical numbers of kittens born each year, and thankfully, you're responsible enough to realize this, and have her spayed! It's the best thing for everyone!