It's a loose-loose situation!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm having some huge troubles. One of my foster babies bit me hard enough to leave a nasty, nasty wound. (Yes, I know how to care for it, go to the dr, etc.)

OK....here's the thing. They get Clavamox orally & terramycin in their eyes 2x a day. They fight, bite, scratch, scream bloody muder, the whole works. I'm essentially treating this as though these guys are "feral kittens" even though they were born to a tame pet momma, they've just been on meds too long & are poorly socialized.

They hide in a corner, haven't ate/drank/or used the LB since I brought them home last night.

How do I go about socliaizing them while continuing meds? I've got the worst one in my lap right now, but even in his sleep, he's quiviering in fear.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aw bless, i dont have any suggestions except go about it like they are semi feral kittens and do things gradually, but of course not as easy when they are on meds.
i also wanted to wish you luck and hope they get better soon.

kibasgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ohh, that sounds awful! I hope your kitty situation gets better soon ~

I really don't have much advice, other than to take it slow with them, because shelter kitties often have troubled pasts. ~

You have my sympathy! ~

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really have any advice, but get well soon! And hope things start to get better

laurie314

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Its a hard situation..how old are these kittens? I had a semi-feral that needed meds when we got him from the shelter and I swaddled him in a towel with just his head exposed and did whatI had to do. I talked to him sweetly all the time and petted and praised him when he was finished with his meds.
That was March 1st..it is June and he is wonderful and loveable. it takes alot of patience. You have to keep talking to the kittens so they learn your voice.
They are going to be angry at you because of the meds, but I thought each time it go a little easier because he realized I was not going to hurt him.
LOTS OF TREATS! Thats always helps. Good Luck!

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried Bach's Flower Essences yet? Just a few drops in their water - about a week, and hopefully it will calm them down enough. PM Gingersmom for a formula...I've tried it and it works!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

Have you tried Bach's Flower Essences yet? Just a few drops in their water - about a week, and hopefully it will calm them down enough. PM Gingersmom for a formula...I've tried it and it works!
That might be an idea! I don't have a refill for my feliway diffuser & can't buy one right now....

These babies are 6 weeks old. I really only planned on having them for 10 days....just to get them done with their meds. I will see how it's going in 10 days & decide then.