e-Bay Question - Auction Sniper

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to admit....I'm an absolute e-Bay addict. I am in dire need of a 12-step program!

I'm so frustrated...yesterday I lost an auction that I really had my heart set on. It's the second time I've bid on this type of item and lost.

My question is....has anyone here used any of the 'Auction Sniper' type of software that bids for you? They are designed to bid in the last 10 seconds or so of an auction, so that your chances of winning are greatly increased. You also don't have to be anywhere near a computer to have this software bid on your auction, it does it automatically for you. It always seems that the auctions that I'm interested in are ending while I'm at work, or in the middle of the night.

In a way, it feels like cheating...and I consider myself to be an honest person. On the other hand, it's there, and available to use, and it really doesn't hurt anyone.
For some of the programs, there's a yearly fee, others are free, and still others charge you a small (1%) fee per auction, based on the final selling price. I haven't really looked into too many of them, but I thought I'd ask to see if anyone has used them, and if they would recommend any or had any thoughts they'd like to share!

Thanks!

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, but getting in there at the last like 20 seconds of the auction is the best way to win it, in my experience. Of course, that doesn't work if you can't be there. Does ebay have any rules against using that type of software? I know I'm famous for doing it, and I'm sure I really get cussed at when I do...

whiskerynature

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've totally been sniper-ed in many auctions
...sometimes you just can't be online watching the last 10 seconds. What's that new eBay "Bid assistant"? Does anyone know if that works as an anti-sniper?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I admit to sniping on occasion, but not using any software - I should think that would be against eBay rules to use automated software for bidding. At least I HOPE it is against the rules!

Part of the fun of bidding on something is to be the winner - so if I can watch and auction and jump in at the last minute to win it, I'm psyched!

If you bid on something too early, that can drive the bids up higher than you wanted to pay, so to me, last minute bidding is a great strategy!

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I admit to sniping on occasion, but not using any software - I should think that would be against eBay rules to use automated software for bidding. At least I HOPE it is against the rules!

Part of the fun of bidding on something is to be the winner - so if I can watch and auction and jump in at the last minute to win it, I'm psyched!

If you bid on something too early, that can drive the bids up higher than you wanted to pay, so to me, last minute bidding is a great strategy!
I fully agree with that and don't understand why people start bidding too early and bring the price much higher than needs to be. I always bid within the last minute.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, I've sniped plenty....when I've been home and available at the end of an auction. Oh man...the excitement!!! I can actually feel the tension and the rush...obviously it's part of the addiction, lol!

I've spent some time going through e-Bay's rules and regulations, and can find nothing about sniper programs. I truly would hate to use some software to win an auction and then find out it was illegal to do and have my account cancelled. I can't imagine anything that would be worse! Call me chicken, I guess....eventually I'll be there at the right time, with the right bid and win the auction that I have my heart set on.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never used anything like that~didnt even know there was such a thing!!! I know I HATE getting out bid!! Man that makes me sooo mad!! LOL...

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use and like Auction Sniper (www.auctionsniper.com) - it is free to register and if you tell them when registering that I sent you (I am rosehavenoss) they will give you a number of free snipes (and they will also give me a number of free snipes).

You set the highest amount you are willing to bid for an item and the lead time (how many seconds before the auction closes you want Sniper to bid for you - I use 3 seconds) and go on with life. It has worked for me many times successfully.

That all now being said, Sniper software doesn't automagically guarantee that you will win an auction. For instance, if someone else sets their highest bid amount higher than yours, you will lose. But for the most part, it works well.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

I use and like Auction Sniper (www.auctionsniper.com) - it is free to register and if you tell them when registering that I sent you (I am rosehavenoss) they will give you a number of free snipes (and they will also give me a number of free snipes).

You set the highest amount you are willing to bid for an item and the lead time (how many seconds before the auction closes you want Sniper to bid for you - I use 3 seconds) and go on with life. It has worked for me many times successfully.

That all now being said, Sniper software doesn't automagically guarantee that you will win an auction. For instance, if someone else sets their highest bid amount higher than yours, you will lose. But for the most part, it works well.
Actually, this is the one that I was looking at! I haven't decided yet whether or not I want to try it, but if I do, I'll make sure to put you down for a referral!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm...I Have't personally tried the Auction Sniper yet...I kind of like being there the last 60 seconds of the auction racing to outbid the programs.

It helps me mentally with a lot of vented frustration.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I agree--and I never saw anything wrong with "sniping"--if it were a live auction, hands raised, etc., isn't bidding at the last second what they do (correct me if I'm wrong; I've never been to a real auction!)? I always do my bidding in the final minutes on eBay--I never seem to win otherwise; and why bid the item up over and over? Nowadays however, I usually skip to Buy it Now.

MargeCat

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually bid in the last 30 seconds... more like the last 20 seconds.. just enough time to give me a bid, not enough time for the email alert to hit their inbox, them to read it, log on to ebay... and hopefully not enough time for them to counteract it more than once... iow, I start the last minute bid process usually around 20 seconds, which takes about 10-15 seconds to do, put in my max price, and usually it's not enough time for someone else to outbid me.

I'm wondering how the snipers work. I can't always be there to last minute bid myself.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

Okay...I just signed up for AuctionSniper.com and used you (rosehavenoss) as a referral! My auction has a smidge over 22 minutes left. I'll let you know how it goes! I honestly didn't think I'd be home right now, or I would have tried to snipe on my own. Doesn't hurt to try this program out though!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just hate being sniped!!!!! I'm sure I'm going to win it then some looser beats me in the last 10 seconds by 50 cents! That really
me. But in all fairness I didn't really want to go that 50 cents extra and even if I did it would end up $5 more than I plained.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

I have to admit....I'm an absolute e-Bay addict. I am in dire need of a 12-step program!

I'm so frustrated...yesterday I lost an auction that I really had my heart set on. It's the second time I've bid on this type of item and lost.

My question is....has anyone here used any of the 'Auction Sniper' type of software that bids for you? They are designed to bid in the last 10 seconds or so of an auction, so that your chances of winning are greatly increased. You also don't have to be anywhere near a computer to have this software bid on your auction, it does it automatically for you. It always seems that the auctions that I'm interested in are ending while I'm at work, or in the middle of the night.

In a way, it feels like cheating...and I consider myself to be an honest person. On the other hand, it's there, and available to use, and it really doesn't hurt anyone.
For some of the programs, there's a yearly fee, others are free, and still others charge you a small (1%) fee per auction, based on the final selling price. I haven't really looked into too many of them, but I thought I'd ask to see if anyone has used them, and if they would recommend any or had any thoughts they'd like to share!

Thanks!
This is what my dad does when he is out of town/working/busy. I really don't see it as cheating. Everyone has this option! You should try it! You have a better chance of winning this way!