I hate being alone!!!!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I normally cope fine when DH is gone. He's usually only gone a few days, I can talk to him regularly, and I'm busy all day at work, and he's back by the weekend.

This time he's gone for a little over 2 weeks, he's in the UK, and timezones really haven't worked out to be able to talk (I'm getting ready to get to bed, and it's 5:50am there now), he's staying in a hostel rather than a hotel (he got sponsored accommodation for the conference, which was just the hostel), so there's no direct line to call him on, I'm not working so am home all day, and it's the weekend, and he'll be gone all this weekend and all next weekend as well, and not back until the Saturday after. It just feels soooo long knowing there's 2 full weekends and 2 full weeks of him being away.

And I'm not sleeping well, and keep waking up to every noise thinking someone is breaking in (despite living in a really safe area in a townhouse block where my 2 neighbours townhouses are attached, and I know them really well and know they'd come running in a flash if anything happened). You'd think by the time you got to 26 you'd stop being afraid of the dark!!!

Everyone I know over here in the US is married (the joy of being an expat, and only knowing other expats who have to be married to be here on a work visa), so I can't get anyone to stay with me, and I don't want to stay with anyone else, cause then my kitties would be here alone which would ALSO worry me.

Anyway, it'll be fine, and I'm sure the days will fly by, I just need to have a whinge....

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it can be rough, I know when the wife goes back overseas in winter, she says that she has a very hard time getting used to me being gone. its gotta be hard for you, But it could also be a time to do some things you would like.

Also that is one reason i went to make friends out side of the the expat community. beside i could not stand white people going oh my god looks another white guy invite him over.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I hate being alone! It just weirds me out, even thought I've got two large dogs. I get jittery like that too. If it makes you feel better, I'm 20 & get "afraid of the dark" as you said when home alone!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

it can be rough, I know when the wife goes back overseas in winter, she says that she has a very hard time getting used to me being gone. its gotta be hard for you, But it could also be a time to do some things you would like.

Also that is one reason i went to make friends out side of the the expat community. beside i could not stand white people going oh my god looks another white guy invite him over.
Problem is that the other expats are the most welcoming... I do have friends here who are local, but none that I'd feel comfortable asking to stay over.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are going to be just fine gorgeous! Just keep busy
Colin was gone for a week and just got back in town last night (and of course went straight back to work today -6 days on 3 off). I missed him like crazy when he was gone. It was soo lovely to see him when he got back home. Why don't you plan up a nice dinner/something special to do/look foward to for when your hubby comes home???

arielrain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yup, you'll be just fine! Watch movies, read, listen to music, groom the cats. He'll be home before you know it.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I guess I'm the total opposite of you. I prefer being alone. I would just relish in the time my hubby was away. I'd feel like I could do anything I want to do without having to worry about considering anyone else but myself. I sound selfish don't I? However, I have learned after 2 divorces, that I'm not meant to be married. I just can't stand that much time with someone else around.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

I guess I'm the total opposite of you. I prefer being alone. I would just relish in the time my hubby was away. I'd feel like I could do anything I want to do without having to worry about considering anyone else but myself. I sound selfish don't I? However, I have learned after 2 divorces, that I'm not meant to be married. I just can't stand that much time with someone else around.
Nope, you're not selfish, you just prefer something different to me! I'm certainly fine during the day, and love slobbing around doing whatever, but at night time I'm used to my DH being there with me. After 5 years of sharing a bed it seems very empty when he's gone!

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My husband works 2 jobs so I can go to school full-time. He works the normal M-F day, and now works W-Saturday nights.... all night, and then gets an hour or so of sleep and goes to his day job..
I hate that he works so much. I have a giant dog that I feel protects me when he is gone. I am 28 and I am afraid of the dark, and always will be. I am getting used to the being alone wed, thur, fri, sat, and now he is in his chair sleeping, so I guess Sunday too. I have totaly control of the remote.... can do a jigsaw puzzle by myself (have to watch the kitties though, they like the pieces).... can play on TCS without feeling guilty.... I still miss him. Hope you feel better! It must be hard though, not being able to talk to him. That really sucks. If my DH doesn't respond to my texts, I start to freak out. Usually it is just that he has let his phone die....

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe this would be a good time to take up a new hobby... maybe go over to a craft store and pick up a kit of some kind to make a pretty needlepoint for the baby's room? Or a little crossstitch bib? Or even a little quilted blanket, if you're really ambitious!

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel, being a military wife. My husband was overseas in S. Korea for a year! That was hard because their timezone is 13 hours ahead. He's back now but now his chance to getting deployed to Iraq is even higher because his base is a mobile/deployable base and he's in a highly wanted career field, Medic.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Maybe this would be a good time to take up a new hobby... maybe go over to a craft store and pick up a kit of some kind to make a pretty needlepoint for the baby's room? Or a little crossstitch bib? Or even a little quilted blanket, if you're really ambitious!
A friend's going to teach me how to knit, but it's not being bored that's the problem, it's being alone at night time. I'm just a big old fraidy cat once the lights go out! I actually slept with a light on last night...

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

A friend's going to teach me how to knit, but it's not being bored that's the problem, it's being alone at night time. I'm just a big old fraidy cat once the lights go out! I actually slept with a light on last night...
I was like that the first time DH went away for business. Last month I was pretty ok. Just a little bored around dinner time when he would be home.
He had free internet service and national phone service. Luckily there was only a 2 hour difference.
BTW what is an expat?

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

BTW what is an expat?
someone working in another country.
like when i was overseas working, i was a expat.
lol i am sure its short for something, but if i ever did know it, i forgot it.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's short for expatriate - and yes it's people living outside their own country.

The Aussie expat community is usually pretty big and pretty tight in most countries - we get around a lot, and it's just nice to have other people who understand what you're going through!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

It's short for expatriate -
The Aussie expat community is usually pretty big and pretty tight in most countries - we get around a lot, and it's just nice to have other people who understand what you're going through!
oh yea, hee, i really need to go to bed.
it is very hard to move to another country, even when you can understand what is being said, and tv etc.

the one thing i always hated when in asia, is that many of the western people just wanted to stay in the bars,