Cats and Top Bunk (or Loft Bed)

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're getting Daughter a loft bed for her tiny 12'x15' room. Her cat Sparkle comes to her bed every morning to get loved up. We don't want this tradition to stop.

Does anyone have a loft bed or top bunk and do your cats get up there? Can they climb the ladder? Should we cover the ladder with carpet (that sounds kind of icky). Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks in advance!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What if you cover one of the poles with sisal so the kitty can climb up?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I too say cover the poles...

PS ... 12*15 is the AVE for a MASTER bedroom not at all tiny

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had no clue what a loft bed was until I looked on the net.

Perhaps you can get a 2x4 and cover it with carpet and somehow attach it to the foot of the bed at an angle so it acts like a ramp and the cat can walk up the ramp to the bed?

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would die for a 12x15 kitchen!

As far as the bed, most cats can climb that high when they want to, but perhaps wrapping one of the posts in sisal may help them climb, or putting a chair or something near the bed so they can have a half way point to jump to / from?

kimmykat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My sons have bunkbeads and Kiara (who loves my oldest son) gets up on his top bunk. I honestly don't know how she does it but she is the smartest cat I have ever met.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I had no clue what a loft bed was until I looked on the net.

Perhaps you can get a 2x4 and cover it with carpet and somehow attach it to the foot of the bed at an angle so it acts like a ramp and the cat can walk up the ramp to the bed?
I like this ramp idea.

whiskerynature

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

We're getting Daughter a loft bed for her tiny 12'x15' room. Her cat Sparkle comes to her bed every morning to get loved up. We don't want this tradition to stop.

Does anyone have a loft bed or top bunk and do your cats get up there? Can they climb the ladder? Should we cover the ladder with carpet (that sounds kind of icky). Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks in advance!
If you have space, maybe a floor-to-ceiling scratcher like the one in Gingersmom's post ("The bender continues")? Or a tall cat tree or scratching post nearby (Angelical cat has a 50-inch Tiger post -- we have this). Our guys are pretty adept at climbing bookshelves, dressers, so maybe regular furniture nearby is okay, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the suggestions! Wrapping the ladder with sisal sounds like an excellent idea, and would look nice. I'm not sure about the furniture arrangement yet, some things look good on paper but we'll see how they work in real life, so I don't know yet if there will be something for Sparkle to jump on to get to the bed. The cat tree idea is good, too, but I'm afraid would take up precious inches of space, as would a ramp...

This house (850 sq. ft.) was built in 1930 and evidently people didn't need much room or have many clothes back then! There are three tiny bedrooms (our king bed completely fills one of them), but the eat-in kitchen is a huge farm kitchen. I like small houses, though, it keeps the clutter down!

Thanks again for all the great ideas.

whiskerynature

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Wrapping the ladder with sisal sounds like an excellent idea, and would look nice....
The FelineDesign guy sells sisal rope at bulk rate & ships US/Canada & will work with you to cut shipping cost, esp. if you get other stuff. He says his sisal is not treated w/ stuff harmful to cats
:

http://www.felinedesign.net/ropeoffer.htm

P.S. You'll have to post a pic when it's all set up...esp. one w/ kitty mid-ladder-climbing

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, your house is little! Do you at least have a basement that can double that amount of space?

My 1 bedroom apartment is 950 square feet and I even find that cramped because of how it's designed...lots of space but not many "functional" walls or wall outlets. Three of my interior walls are just made out of panneling and are hollow inbetween the panel boards, so you can't even hang anything on them.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by whiskerynature

The FelineDesign guy sells sisal rope at bulk rate & ships US/Canada & will work with you to cut shipping cost, esp. if you get other stuff. He says his sisal is not treated w/ stuff harmful to cats
:

http://www.felinedesign.net/ropeoffer.htm

P.S. You'll have to post a pic when it's all set up...esp. one w/ kitty mid-ladder-climbing
I bought a roll of sisal at either Canadian Tire or Home Depot and didn't pay any shipping

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info on where to buy the sisal.

We do have an unfinished basement with washer and dryer and storage so that helps with space. The kitchen is about 1/4 of the house! There's also a big deck in the back, and a huge yard and garden.

I'll post pics when it's all done, probably in 4-6 weeks. I'm switching two of the rooms around - the playroom is becoming our bedroom, and our former bedroom is becoming a study. Playroom is being dissolved, hence the need for a loft.

I'll post pics of the garden soon, too.

Thanks again, everyone!

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I stayed at a friend's cottage last weekend and stayed on the bottom bunk of a bunk bed. Her cat always sleeps on the top bunk. When I was sleeping there, the cat went up and down the ladder a few times in the night.

Also, my cat Fred loves to climb my 6ft step ladder whenever i have it out.