Fox roaming my neighborhood

ellen13

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I saw a fox walking down the street in front of my house last Sunday and now, Chloe, my oldest feral (8 years old) has disappeared. She lives on my deck with her brother and I haven't seen her since Wednesday night.

Do foxes kill cats? I'm worried the fox may have gotten her and I'm also worried about my 6 other ferals.

Ellen

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes. Fox do kills cats.

However, they are most dangerous to young cats or indoor cats who happened to get out. Especielly if their claws are cut short - as they usually are on indoor cats.
Fully grown up cats, used to be out, and thus also used to fight - usually manage, and often can chase away the fox. Sometimes they become even pals - as that strong cat isnt a prey for the fox.

Im thinking. As there are cats who do copy very well with foxes or big rats, it may be so there are also foxes specialized on taking cats. Thus such a fox perhaps can manage even a fully grown ferale cat with uncut claws...

So. It is fully possible the fox did get your ferale cat.
But I hope he didnt. He shouldnt.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ellen13

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StefanZ

Yes. Fox do kills cats.

However, they are most dangerous to young cats or indoor cats who happened to get out. Especielly if their claws are cut short - as they usually are on indoor cats.
Fully grown up cats, used to be out, and thus also used to fight - usually manage, and often can chase away the fox. Sometimes they become even pals - as that strong cat isnt a prey for the fox.

Im thinking. As there are cats who do copy very well with foxes or big rats, it may be so there are also foxes specialized on taking cats. Thus such a fox perhaps can manage even a fully grown ferale cat with uncut claws...

So. It is fully possible the fox did get your ferale cat.
But I hope he didnt. He shouldnt.
Thanks, StefanZ, you have given me some hope, although she still hasn't shown up yet. It was a small fox and my neighbor said she has been seeing the fox for over two months, so maybe the fox isn't responsible for her disappearance.

ellen13

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Chloe showed up last Saturday and there was something seriously wrong with her. I tried to get her in a carrier but she ran under the shed and would not come out. I kept putting fresh food and water by the shed but it looked liked she never ate any of it. Anyway, Tuesday I smelled something dead in my back yard. I got down on my knees and looked under the shed and there was Chloe. I had her for 8 years and I sure will miss her.

ellen13

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jenny82

I am very sorry for your loss.
Thanks, Jenny. She looked just like your Mia. I guess people think I'm a lousy caretaker for letting her suffer like that but there was no way I could catch her and get her to a vet.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ellen13

I guess people think I'm a lousy caretaker for letting her suffer like that but there was no way I could catch her and get her to a vet.
Dont worry too much about THAT.
She was a ferale, and died the ferals dead.

And yet she choosed to return to your place, and to die in her favorite hiding place. Near you but alone and in peace. THIS was her safety and the place where she wanted to meet her death.

There is nothing saying a vet could save her life. And taking a shy semiferal to a vet only to give the last injection? Nay.
Possibly if the vet could come out to your place. But most vets dont.