Daphne's Spay

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take Daphne in at 9am Saturday (tomorrow) to be spayed. Not sure why I am worried. Have done this many times in the past. Maybe I am getting soft in my old age? I wish the spay was as easy and as non-invasive as the neuter.

She is so sweet, smart and funny. She has caught on to the game of fetch. She will bring the paper ball back to exactly where I threw it from. If she hears paper rustling at all she believes it is time to play. Was very interesting trying to study for finals
Too cute.

She wakes me most every morning kicking all over my face. Not sure why, she doesn't want food - she free feeds. Guess she's just telling me it is time to wake up.

Her favorite place to lie now is directly in front of the keyboard, wrapped around the mouse. Knows just where my hand will be.

Please send vibes for my sweet little girl. Seb and I would be lost without her

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots and lots of quick and easy spay surgery vibes. I can't believe how big she has gotten.

From all the photos, it is easy to see that Seb would be missing his little girl. Isn't it amazing how quickly they bond and become such great buddies.

Does she have to stay overnight or do you get to bring her home tomorrow too?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take her in about 9am and pick her up in the late afternoon. Thank you for the vibes
I'll give her somes loves from you. I hope the procedure is easy on her.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aww, sweet Daphne , I am sure she's gonna be a brave little girl and all will go perfect for her

lots of soothing (((((((
vibes
)))))) and quick recovery vibes too for sweetheart Daphne !

Let us know how she goes on !

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

I take her in about 9am and pick her up in the late afternoon. Thank you for the vibes
I'll give her somes loves from you. I hope the procedure is easy on her.
i always prefer to do that, myself, anyway. she'll be fine - but prayers headed your way from Texas, anyway!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys
She is at the vet now. I almost asked if I could just wait - I am truly pathetic! The look she gave me broke my heart. The women at the desk kept starting sentences with "Since she is so little ...." "since she is so young ..." I felt like an ogre for leaving her there even though it is the absolute right thing to do. Give me another 10 years and I will be camping out for these things!
I am supposed to call in about an hour to see how things went and they haven't called me which is a good thing.

Seb is wandering about the apartment alternating between his Daphne call and his I-wanna-go-out-right-this-minute meow. Then he crawls all over me sticking his big, wet nose in my ear. He misses her, too.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is home! Yippee! We've been home about 10 minutes and although she is sluggish, she keeps licking the incision site. She is also cleaning other areas, but focuses on the incision. Sometimes its like she is trying to chew them. Is this normal or should I try to find an E-collar? She gets up, takes a few steps, then worries the stitches some more.

The spay cost $87.00 (US). They didn't use dissolvable stitches like I asked. They gave me 3 days worth of Metacam for pain. Said she was "very" in heat and an overachiever and an early bloomer.

Thanks for all the good wishes. As long as she doesn't pull the stitches out, we should be okay.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

She is home! Yippee! We've been home about 10 minutes and although she is sluggish, she keeps licking the incision site. She is also cleaning other areas, but focuses on the incision. Sometimes its like she is trying to chew them. Is this normal or should I try to find an E-collar? She gets up, takes a few steps, then worries the stitches some more.

The spay cost $87.00 (US). They didn't use dissolvable stitches like I asked. They gave me 3 days worth of Metacam for pain. Said she was "very" in heat and an overachiever and an early bloomer.

Thanks for all the good wishes. As long as she doesn't pull the stitches out, we should be okay.

I'm glad she's home and doing good, I got Metacam for Lucia also, for 4 days, I never got pain meds for any of my other kitties
And Lucia hasn't touched her stitches I wonder if they are itching Daphne
Bless her little heart

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to find a way to get an ecollar, the incision is bleeding now
Found a vet ER, just have to go get it and hope she doesn't hurt herself before then.
should have gotten one at the vets!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Went to ER vet, got a collar. Poor daphne has been in surgery, and on and off buses all day. Days like this I would kill for a car. hope this collar helps. She is more alert now. Seb doesn't seem to know her anymore
Will have to get their scents on one another.

Thansk for listening to all this.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
for sweet itty bitty twister kitty!

One of my kitties did that with her spay. I made a temporary e-collar out of cardboard. She was just incessant at bitting at the incision. I though it was because the ends of the stiched kept poking her.

Mine hate it when one goes to the vet too, they all are nasty to whoever had to go until the "vet smell" wears off. Seb will be back to loving his little girl again soon.

I am so sorry that it has turned out so stressful. I didn't know you had to take her on the BUS! You must be just as wiped as she is.

Hopeing that Sunday finds everyone there well rested and things getting back to normal.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
just checking back in on sweet Daphne....bless her
how's she doing now
bet she's hating that collar
but it'll only be for a few days.

Give her some 'well done' tickles from us

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry I took so long to post again. Seb still hisses at her. I had to go to another birthday party today and wasn't sure I should leave them alone together while he is cranky, so put him in the bathroom again. He had to stay in there last night too becuase he would not stop yowling.
Poor guy. Hated to do it but I was exhausted. Daphne slept with me all night - she stretches out and lays on her side trying to accomodate the collar.

I wish I had thought to make a collar from cardboard! I have lots of that. Maybe I should practice now just in case I ever need it again.

I have to work tomorrow so am hoping things settle down today.
Took photos of Daphne's spay stitches before and after I cleaned it up a bit. Wasn't sure if she was really hurting so I didn't push it, it isn't perfectly clean. I'm sure the neighbors thought I was torturing many litters of kittens the way she was screaming. Funny though, she didn't make a peep at either vet office. Was going to post them here but unsure if I should - some people don't to see blood.

Anyway, I just checked the incision when I came home and it doesn't seem to be weeping any longer, so the collar will have to stay on
She can eat as long as I pile the food so she can get to it. Drinking from the fountain works but she manages to get the water in the collar too so her front is all wet. BUT, she isn't biting at her incision and that's what counts. She uses the litter box still.

Thank you for all your support. I don't know why I thought this process would be easy.

I am posting a photo of her with the collar on, after I cleaned her up a bit.