Wow....

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cell phone posted on ebay that was my boyfriends old phone. It was an htc p4000 that he bought about a month ago but has since gotten a new job This is it http://www.telusmobility.com/on/pcs/...tc_p4000.shtml

My boyfriend got it for $50 since he worked for the company. I went out tonight around 7pm and my auction was at $395, when I got back the auction had ended at $810. The phone is only worth $550 so I don't know why someone bought it for $810 but....wow! I can't believe it went up that high.

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oy I don't want to be a downer, but this sounds like the standard Nigeria scam.... very common with cell phones... especially ones bid up to a crazy amount.

Did the buyer ask you to ship somewhere other than their confirmed address?
Did they tell you that they sent money to your paypal account which will be released when you mail the package?

For something this amount... only mail to a confirmed address, with signature confirmation, make sure the money is in your paypal account before you mail anything.

I truly hope it goes well... I've just seen a few too many of them go bad, so I'm wary. With this amount of money involved, you should check out this thread on the ebay forums so you know what to look for. I would hate to see this go badly for you.

Here's hoping it's legit!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MuttigreeMom

Oy I don't want to be a downer, but this sounds like the standard Nigeria scam.... very common with cell phones... especially ones bid up to a crazy amount.
I must admit that was my first thought too. I hope it isn't though

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Did the buyer ask you to ship somewhere other than their confirmed address?
Did they tell you that they sent money to your paypal account which will be released when you mail the package?

For something this amount... only mail to a confirmed address, with signature confirmation, make sure the money is in your paypal account before you mail anything.

I truly hope it goes well... I've just seen a few too many of them go bad, so I'm wary. With this amount of money involved, you should check out this thread on the ebay forums so you know what to look for. I would hate to see this go badly for you.

Here's hoping it's legit!
The person is in Chicago according to their address I got but I haven't heard from the buyer yet. The buyer has a 100% feedback score, but right now I really don't know what to think. I have sent the buyer an email but have not heard back yet. I really hope its not a scam.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now whether you get the payment is another thing!

I hear that many high bids are fake ones.

I would also not accept "pay pal" as a payment for that. It's possible that somoene hacked into someone's account and ran up a bid and any money you get could end up being reversed.

I hope the bidder follows through and pays you what you are owed, but I seriously suggest that you don't accept anything but a bank wire transfer.

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catlover19

The person is in Chicago according to their address I got but I haven't heard from the buyer yet. The buyer has a 100% feedback score, but right now I really don't know what to think. I have sent the buyer an email but have not heard back yet. I really hope its not a scam.
Don't panic just yet. It could all turn out wonderfully, but I just wanted you to be aware just in case.

Remember all items over $250 HAVE TO be sent with signature confirmation on delivery and don't send anything until you have the money in your hand or paypal account (I don't know what kind of payment you accepted for this... so whatever it was, do nothing until 'cash' in hand AND cleared)

Many of the nigerian scammers register with US addresses and then ask you to ship to their cousin/brother/mother/whatever in nigeria. If they ask you to ship anywhere except their confirmed paypal address then it is definitely a scam and do not do it at all. No exceptions. You will be out your money and item.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
even if they pay with paypal. dont ship anywhere but a confirmed address. I had someone buy a cell from me and i didnt even look..but turned out it wasnt confirmed. and than he paypal payment was reversed...

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Many of the nigerian scammers register with US addresses and then ask you to ship to their cousin/brother/mother/whatever in nigeria. If they ask you to ship anywhere except their confirmed paypal address then it is definitely a scam and do not do it at all. No exceptions. You will be out your money and item.
I saw a show on scamming...it might have been on Oprah actually.

Many people get caught up in "make money at home" type scams where they are paid to accept shipments, and then repackage them and send them off somewhere else.

The show had some people on that were involved in some of those "make money at home" businesses and while they were getting paid legitimately for their work, it turns out that the stuff they were accepting delivery on and reshipping over seas was stolen merchandise and the person was essencially being used to "launder" the goods and they were the ones who got in trouble with the FBI.

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I saw a show on scamming...it might have been on Oprah actually.

Many people get caught up in "make money at home" type scams where they are paid to accept shipments, and then repackage them and send them off somewhere else.
Oy I swear... this just gets crazier and crazier every day...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am pretty sure now that it is a scam. I did a reverse look up of the address and theres no street named that in Chicago. Their email address also looked like they just went j403697306 on the keyboard plus they used this website for their email www.jetable.com and they havent bought anything since 1999. I guess it will go to the person who bid $426

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok you can't sell it to the person who bid $426 until you clear this up with ebay.

If they haven't bought anything since 1999, this sounds like a hijacked account. First you have to report this person...

do this (from the trust and safety board)
"To report a hijacked account, use this link:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/contact_u...selection.html
* Account Security [continue]
1. Unauthorized account activity
2. Report another user's account as stolen
Click "Email us" and enter the details"

once that person has been naru'd, you will get a relist credit for your fees and then you can relist your item.

EDIT: Sorry, at that point you can then relist your item or send your underbidder a second chance offer.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She may be able to just do a second chance offer to the next bidder vs having to relist. since the scammer, being a scammer is breaking TOS ect. I would ve more likely to do a second chance offer and not have to pay fees again