:( My cat ran away.

chuck8303

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
sad stuff.

I got my fiance a cat, and it usually darts out the door. We catch it and bring it back inside, however, this time he jumped over our chain linked fence in the back yard and haven't seen him since

Will he come back? I was told that cats do that occasionally and they will come back. Is that true? I'm new to being a cat person, and this is the first cat I've had.

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry about your cat. They can reappear after several days. You need to check the local shelters and print up flyers and take them around to everyone in the neighborhood. It's easy for them to get trapped inside somewhere if they wondered in. Listen closely for his meow. I hope he returns soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chuck8303

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by LSULOVER

I hope your cat comes home soon, please keep us posted on him.
Thanks! He came back while I was out looking for him today.
We knew he didn't go far, because he had taken a poop in the neighbor's sandbox this morning. We're so happy Houdini is back

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear he is back.. you may want to try a trick I use with my little escapees.. which is I put an empty coffee can, with about five pennies near the door.... every time I come in, I slip my hand inside, pick up the coffee can and shake it if there's any cats close by... just have to open very cautiously to make sure they're not waiting for their opportunity. Shaking the can sends them running away from the door, but I try not to shake the can if they're not sitting there. I've found it works better than a water gun.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The can of coins is a great idea!! Also if he isn't neutered, that might help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chuck8303

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

The can of coins is a great idea!! Also if he isn't neutered, that might help!
he is. we bought him that way from a animal shelter program called Pets & People.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, they just get it in their heads that they want to go out. My domestic is famous for it, and my young Bengal is really bad about it... and I've got to be careful about the adult Bengal because while he's not particularly friendly (and I'm sure anyone foolish enough to take the little monster would bring him back...) it is possible to pick him up and he looks like a cheetah..

The domestic has some sense, but still, there are lots of predators and busy streets around me, and the other ones... well, they all just like to make "getting out the door past the people blocking them" a great daily challenge, so I resorted to using the coffee can, which I keep just inside the door. I just open the door a crack, stick my hand in, get the can, open it just far enough that I can see if they're standing there or not...and if they're there trying to get out, I shake the can...

They do come to the door to greet me, so if they're sitting at the top of the stairs and their attention is on me, and not on how far the door is open how much of an opportunity they have to escape... then I don't shake it.

Anyway, good luck with the little guy, and glad he's back home.

oceanroar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Chuck! We used to be buddies on myspace, remember?? I'm 'Captain'.

I'm glad your cat came back... you're engaged now... crazy.