Is Meow Mix wet a bad idea?

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For the past several months, I have been feeding my cat (1 years old) a container of MM Select wet daily (along with Nutro dry). I have tried many varieties of other wet foods (Nutro, Authority, etc...) but he seems to like the texture of the MM the best -- he especially does not like "loaf style" food.

Anyhow, even though I buy strictly the non-fish varieties (so the main label says) -- I do know almost all their food has fish in it. This concerns me because I know male cats are not supposed to have a lot of fish, let alone daily.

Should I continue with the MM? Is the amount of fish in it anything to worry about? I could go back to trying different foods but I hate wasting all that money and cat food. The MM is right about what I am willing to pay as well.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you use something else in the rotation and your cat is NOT uti prone there is no issues

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I asked this same question a little while back. Seb is like your guy - no loaf or pate styles. Will simply lick off whatever gravy there is. Spent lots of money on better brands ... no go. He loves his MeowMix period. Someone, I cannot remember who, said that as long as it is just one pouch a day, it should be okay. Of course, if he ever develops UTIs then I will have to start all over again.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as you feed a variety its ok and healthy. I will not buy MM dry - its got dye in it and most cats throw it up. Never tried the MM wet but I think there are better foods out there.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
I'm in the same boat, Oliver will only even consider the Meow Mix Market Select cups... and only the chicken & liver/beef/turkey & giblets variety.... usually I open a cup at night and leave it out and it gets covered and fridged (they're plastic cups and not metal so i think that's ok) during part of the day and taken out again in the evening.... he's never had any UTI problems and he's been eating this stuff for awhile now - it's literally the only wet food that he'll even look at! Surprisingly, in just looking at the ingredients and feeding instructions, there is fish broth in the "non-fish" varieties and the suggested feeding instructions are "2 to 3 cups per 4.5 pounds of body weight daily"!!!!!!!!!!! OMG - I think that's a little rediculous - Oliver's 15 pounds and he'd NEVER eat that much wet in one day! (it also says pregnant cats should get 3 times that amount and kittens twice! I know they need more nutritian, but I don't think I'd pick Meow Mix for those situations) So I don't feel quite so bad that there's a little fish broth included since I'm not even close to feeding him the amount I'm "supposed" to every day.... wow.... hmmm learned a lot by coming across this post, but I don't think I'll switch or stop feeding it

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so glad I am avoiding this situation why Zoe is young.
She is getting fed IAMS, MeowMix, Friskies, Fancy Feast, Nutro, almost everything wet as a young kitten. I am getting her exposed to lots of things so she won't end up picky, do NOT want to end up like this!

But I do think that it's okay so long as it's just one pouch a day and you keep a close eye on your kitty for UTI complications. And gosh, that is totally shocking!
For a 15 lb cat that'd be like... nine cans a day!!!!!! OMG! And I really think that is wrong if they say "no fish included" and yet, there is fish. What if a cat was allergic to fish oils? I may e-mail them and get after them about that...

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The ONLY thing my little buggars will all agree on is Meow Mix Market Selects. When all of the food recalls started- i tried home cooking everything from scratch for several weeks- but despite trying numerous recipes/etc- none of them really cared for the home cooked food and were not satisfied. I did NOT want to go back on dry after learning about all the carbs/etc just depending on the brand. Wet food mimics a cat's natural diet better than dry so i decided to try them on differnet wet foods. The ONLY brand they all agree on is Meow Mix Market Selects. I know it's not the best quality out there- but it is better than many other ones, and they all eat it without problems and the ingredients aren't so bad at all.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KuntryKitty

I am so glad I am avoiding this situation why Zoe is young.
She is getting fed IAMS, MeowMix, Friskies, Fancy Feast, Nutro, almost everything wet as a young kitten. I am getting her exposed to lots of things so she won't end up picky, do NOT want to end up like this!

But I do think that it's okay so long as it's just one pouch a day and you keep a close eye on your kitty for UTI complications. And gosh, that is totally shocking!
For a 15 lb cat that'd be like... nine cans a day!!!!!! OMG! And I really think that is wrong if they say "no fish included" and yet, there is fish. What if a cat was allergic to fish oils? I may e-mail them and get after them about that...
Technically speaking oils shouldnt be a substance one is allergic to but since refinement practices are well not what they should be some proteins do sneak in

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KuntryKitty

And I really think that is wrong if they say "no fish included" and yet, there is fish.
I don't think any of them really explicitly state "no fish"...it's more a matter of seeing something like "Chicken Delight Dinner" on the label and then you read the ingredients and find that Cod, Herring, or Tuna, etc are the 5th ingredient...or in some cases much higher. LOL