Expressing of the anal glands

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When an cat expresses their anal glands, what does the stuff look like? When do they usually do it? Is it during a bowel movement?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is usually during a bowel movement that they are expressed. It is a liquidy brown fluid that has the most horrid smell in the world. When they start to block, you will see two dark spots on either side of the anal opening, at the 5 and 7 o'clock position. That is where the anal sacs are inside. I have a cat who blocks easily and also another who will express hers when you scratch a certain place on her lower back at the base of her tail. It is like a trigger, but if you get that fluid on your skin or clothes, it is really hard to get out and disgusting, good thing it is usually just a couple of drops!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

It is usually during a bowel movement that they are expressed. It is a liquidy brown fluid that has the most horrid smell in the world. When they start to block, you will see two dark spots on either side of the anal opening, at the 5 and 7 o'clock position. That is where the anal sacs are inside. I have a cat who blocks easily and also another who will express hers when you scratch a certain place on her lower back at the base of her tail. It is like a trigger, but if you get that fluid on your skin or clothes, it is really hard to get out and disgusting, good thing it is usually just a couple of drops!
OK I was getting concerned. I am stuck in the same room as the litter box and have to watch them go potty since Benson likes to attack whoever is going. I noticed after Lucky has BM there is this liquid fluid at the end.
He also has some on his buttocks. It kinda smells like strong urine and poo together.

coriona_vanord

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Agree with Jen, wow girl you really know your stuff, your a vet tech I bet, or full blown vet (sophomore year at I.A.A), congrats either way. Yes miss Crazyforinfo miss Jen is right on the dime, there's not a huge list of anything you can really do like a dogs you can have them drained, either by strapping on some gloves and gently doing it yourself or a vet or groomer can have it for you as well if just one of those places man hasn't and will not go lol. Which I don't blame a bit, peeeyu. lol