*sob* My Microwave Died!!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used my microwave last night to heat up dinner and it worked fine. About 1/2 hour ago I go to heat up dinner and I can input the time but the start button doesn't work!!!!

The door latches fine, all of the buttons seem to work except for the start button which is the all important one!!!

It was 17 years old so I guess it was it's time!

So I have my dinner (one of my home cooked frozen dinners) in a casserole dish in the oven heating up.

Unfortunately a new microwave is not in the budget in the foreseeable future

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Gross LOL I dont use microwaves, they put plasma in your food and their known to cause cancer, its been proven and microwaves are even banned in some countries.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh, I feel for you! I'd probably starve to death if I didn't have my microwave (not really...I could probably survive for a long time on what I've got stored on my hips alone, lol!) My girls would be pretty upset without a microwave to warm their foods too! I also suggest hitting the garage sales and Goodwill this weekend. I bet you'll be able to replace it for just a little cash output. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll see how I manage without one. I may become desperate enough to go to Value Village and see about a used one.

The only thing I really used it for was to cook rice, reheat my frozen meals, and to cook frozen veggies and oatmeal.

If I do get one I'll get a smaller one than I had. I don't know how large of a capacity the one I had was, but the turn table was large enough to fit a dinner plate or an oval casserole dish. It took up so much counter room here. I think I'd like one smaller one for the next one.

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Man ever since I learned about how it puts plasma in your food and can cause cancer I havent used it......and the super rare times when im forced to re-heat something in it the food gives me an instant headache.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ours is 17 also and currently the only way we can cook right now. I have been pricing them and hope to save to get one in a couple of months.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Linda, I hope you are able to find a cheap one soon.I would be so lost without ours too.Mine is 16 years old.Are you sure it wasn't just a fuse that went bad in it?Ours has blown a few of those.Thankfully they are easy to fix in it and cheap too.(Shawn just has to remove the cover on ours and replace the fuse)

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roimata

Gross LOL I dont use microwaves, they put plasma in your food and their known to cause cancer, its been proven and microwaves are even banned in some countries.
I don't think anyone's going to listen.

I'm not sure about plasma... but the very way it heats, by exciting whatever is in it on a molecular level can cause some changes - deformations, potentially changing it from something harmless to something not so harmless... This is why they don't allow blood to be heated in a microwave and why it's suggested that formula and breast milk isn't either (as it affects nutrients and amino acids).

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I don't think anyone's going to listen.

I think there needs to be more proof before anyone listens considering that many anti-microwave claims are listed on urban legends sites as hoaxes.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A fuse?! They have fuses? I haven't chucked it out yet...it's sitting on a small cart waiting for me to lug it to the dumpster downstairs. I'll have a look on the internet to see if this one has fuses.

I did find a solution....but if I go ahead with it it won't be until the end of the month...I hope.

I collect air miles and I have 13,000 of them which is enough to go anywhere in the world that I want during "low season".

In the rewards booklet that I got, I see they have 3 microwaves available that I can spend some of my points on. All I would have to pay is shipping and maybe taxes...not sure on the taxes part though.I've never spent air miles before.

Two are Panasonic and one is a Sylvania. They all have a stainless steel finish.

The 2 Panasonic ones are 1.6 and 1.2 cubic feet. The Sylvania is .9 cubic feet.

I'm not sure how big any of those are unless I see them in person.

Is a one cubic foot cooking area ....1 foot wide, 1 foot deep and 1 foot high? My old one might be 1.6 cubic feet, but I'm not sure. I no longer have the manual and it doesn't say on the back.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cell phones have been linked to the death of numerous colonies of honey bees, computers and televisions have been linked to cancer. Yet most everyone has at least one or more of those.

Microwaves are safe so long as the door fits correctly and you don't stand in front of it while it's on.

Here is a scan of the ovens available in the awards catalogue. They look pretty nice, but my concern is picking the wrong size.

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Naw auctually its been proved, and theres tons of videos of plasma emitting microwaves on youtube. Microwaves have been banned in alot of countries because of this. I know this is true because when I eat food from a microwave I get headaches.

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Id go with the bigger one.

I figure you can put something smaller in a big one... but you cant put something bigger in a small one.

I downsized my microwave when I moved into this house because I (stupidly) left the center plate of my old microwave in my apartment dishwasher when I moved out. Well luckily the old owners left their microwave here so I had one to use... but its much smaller and annoys the heck out of me. I can't wait to order a new plate for my old one so I can ditch my current one.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

A fuse?! They have fuses? I haven't chucked it out yet...it's sitting on a small cart waiting for me to lug it to the dumpster downstairs. I'll have a look on the internet to see if this one has fuses.

I did find a solution....but if I go ahead with it it won't be until the end of the month...I hope.

I collect air miles and I have 13,000 of them which is enough to go anywhere in the world that I want during "low season".

In the rewards booklet that I got, I see they have 3 microwaves available that I can spend some of my points on. All I would have to pay is shipping and maybe taxes...not sure on the taxes part though.I've never spent air miles before.

Two are Panasonic and one is a Sylvania. They all have a stainless steel finish.

The 2 Panasonic ones are 1.6 and 1.2 cubic feet. The Sylvania is .9 cubic feet.

I'm not sure how big any of those are unless I see them in person.

Is a one cubic foot cooking area ....1 foot wide, 1 foot deep and 1 foot high? My old one might be 1.6 cubic feet, but I'm not sure. I no longer have the manual and it doesn't say on the back.
yes, they have fuses.
With ours, you take the cover off of it.And then the fuse is in a little compartment.It's easy to change them too.Just make sure you don't loose the screws.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roimata

Naw auctually its been proved, and theres tons of videos of plasma emitting microwaves on youtube. Microwaves have been banned in alot of countries because of this. I know this is true because when I eat food from a microwave I get headaches.
It may be that your body is so convienced that it is bad for you, that you are giving yourself a headache.